Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Weber Y2K Mandolin

Question Questions about Weber Y2K Mandolin

Bought a used Weber Y2K6 a bit ago. The owner seemed pleased it is going to someone that will appreciate her. He did mention to keep the mandolin in the case during winter, and to humidify it.
    I have no clue as how to humidify an instrument. Can y'all shed some light on this for me, please?

The owner said his luthier put strings on it for him. He does not know if they are D'Addario or not, although said they probably do not need to be changed for a while. What type of strings are usually on this model, so I can keep a reference for later?

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome. The fellow must of taken photos with a smartphone, but they are over on Ebay, although I downloaded them to drool over while waiting.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Questions about Weber Y2K Mandolin

There are many ways to keep acoustic instruments humidified, which is a good thing to do depending on where you live. A case humidifier, as he suggested, is a good and (can be an) inexpensive way. I like these

https://themandolinstore.com/product...ndolin-family/

However where you live (and your house) might have different humidifier requirements. Search the cafe. You'll find tons of info on this.

Knowing what gauge strings (light, medium, heavy) would be more helpful than know the brand of strings since that is what the instrument has been set up for.

Congratulations on your new mandolin and happy pickin'🤓

Zach

3. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

First of - Wow! - you got a nice deal on that one. Those are excellent mandolins.

Like Zach said, search the Cafe for ways to humidify the instrument. In case, the Oasis is very nice. I use them with my guitars.

And, yes, string gauge is more important than type.

Oh, and between the other mandolins you were discussing (Kentucky vs. Eastman) you got a way better instrument and a way better deal. Don't think twice about this one. This could easily be a "forever" mandolin.
    Last edited by Eric Platt; Dec-29-2017 at 7:33am. Reason: Forgot to add something
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

The Y2K is a flat top instrument, while the Kentucky is a carved arch top. I would say they are different, not that one is “better” than another. Apples and oranges. The Weber will suit you well if your interest is old time, Celtic, or general string band use. Pretty much anything other than bluegrass. For that genre, the Kentucky would have been a better choice.

Instead of thinking of the Weber as “better” than the Kentucky, why not just enjoy it for what it is? It will shine for you in the areas for which it is suited.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Looks like the Weber Y2K6 finally made a break away from Wisconsin. Looked like it was in limbo over the last weekend, and took a day to get from Madison to New Berlin. Wished I could fast forward this weekend. :P

James, thanks for the update...waiting is not fun. But get ready to wait again, for good reason.
    Winter weather shipping and wooden instruments are not my favorite combo...but it works with precautions taken.

You probably already know this, but the next hard part is you should wait again once your Y2K arrives.....let it acclimate/rest in your place for a day. It's been in a freezing cold truck/warehouse for a few days and you don't want to bring it inside, and immediately pull it out of the box/case---let it slowly warm up (like a day) before opening to protect the finish from checking.

Can't wait to hear how you like it!

I would guess Payette’s humidity etc are similar to Bend’s. Because I have a bunch of wooden instruments I use a room humidifier and case humidifiers. I unplug the room humidifier at night and the humidity drops below 40% usually, which is why I case humidify too. I make my own case humidifiers out of old pill bottles with holes drilled in them filled with sponges. I would recommend you purchase a hygrometer first an go from there. Good luck, an enjoy the new mandolin!
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Jan-05-2018 at 11:03am. Reason: Typos
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Ahh, so leave it in its case for a day before opening? Okay. I can't even peek at it?? Noticed it's "in transit" and guessing it passed Henderson, Nebraska Getting closer! The package it is in was reported as 12 x 12 x 35 inches @ 11.1 pounds. Must be in there diagonally? Weber's cases must be very sturdy at that weight.

We've not gotten a lot of snow here, what did hit was mostly melted. The front room's humidity meter is showing 53% although do not know of a method to check that it is calibrated correctly. Think it is one of them spring doohickeys. Samsung Galaxy S4 showing the humidity at 36% in the driest part of the house. Might have to check into getting a newer hydrometer.

I do use a CPAP too which has a humidifier, so that probably helps humidify this small small abode.

Strange how shippers work when you're highly anticipating an arrival of such great personal importance. Initially seemed to take a rather long time before the Weber Y2K left Wisconsin - although was before/after New Years + a day to get headed westward!
    Followed her path along the way, made REALLY good progress thanks to FedEx! Her arrival is due any day now & on the last leg of the journey ... when things slowed down ... again...

She past the checkpoint at Salt Lake City, UT at 2AM and nothing since... Name:  viking.gif
Views: 1814
Size:  11.0 KB

Totally understand. It's never fun.

Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Spent 3 days in Salt Lake City, UT ... so I stirred up the hornet's nest. Not sure if was coincidence, Holy Intervention, or what, but after contacting FedEx's Customer Service via Social Media the package moved! FedEx SmartPost (for the Byrds!) was sent to US Postal Service at 11PM with an extended two-day delay.

Next time I order something that is important, and the shipper wants ground only, have it sent Ground. FedEx SmartPost/UPS SurePost is essentially "hitch a ride" till it hits a hub, then sent to the Postal Service for delivery.

Contacted the US Postal Service to request a Shipment Service Upgrade so it won't get stuck in the same "hitch a ride" mode. The longer it takes to get here the more chances of damage & mishandling. Hopefully the mandolin survives!

15. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

Got a surprise today. She arrived at the local post office along with my request for expedited shipping. I called them just as the post office was about to call me.

The case is rugged, and sexy. Wow, Weber sure knows how to make a case sexy enough one wished they could crawl into. No wonder cats love them. In any case, she arrived today. Took a few photos and put her back to acclimate. Lightly strummed her with fingers - gorgeous sound!
    This is like holding the Holy Grail so to speak!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02071.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	163892

Interesting custom pick-guard Bob Manor (The Getaway Drivers) put on there. Seems to catch the light at different angles.

Name:	DSC02073.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	163893

Back of the mandolin before putting her back into the case to acclimate. Did see there was an accessories storage in there too.

Name:	DSC02077.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	371.8 KB 
ID:	163894

Yay! Woohoo! Happy NMD! I'm not sure if I like the pickguard, however I don't like most pickguards 🤓

Anyways... congrats and happy pickin'

18. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Considering adding an arm rest, although undecided as to which wood to use. Figured Mahogany since is the main wood used on these iirc, although not found a maker that offers that wood with the better back-brace.

How did they apply the pickguard? Is it glued on?

Looks like it was glued on the top, but it's been formed to be flush with the fretboad - this part is loose.

Name:	DSC02080.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	163907

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Looks like it was glued on the top, but it's been formed to be flush with the fretboad - this part is loose.
    Now that you have the instrument in hand, can you tell whether the pickguard was added to prevent damage or conceal it?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Looks like rubber glue was used to hold the pick guard down. The front of the pick guard actually had come loose probably from the cold shipment temperatures. After having it exposed to room temperature was able to push that back down, but while it was up I gently pulled up to remove a section, looked at the edges and around.
    Saw no signs of cracks, and nothing under the pick guard looks damaged. Am using a 240 lumen LED light. There are a few nicks on the outer edge where other mandolins have some sort of binding there.

Cannot locate the dental inspection mirror to look underneath.

Looked all around the edges, even in the hole, looks okay. Tuned up the strings and she plays well. These tuners are way better than the Rogue's are, and the nut is a lot smoother - the Rogue one grabs.

24. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

congrats James!

She sounds very nice too, long sustain. Looks like medium strings, but how can one judge gauge of strings? I have a cheap Home Depot caliper. The previous owner took it to his luthier whenever he needed new strings.

Looks to have a string dampener under the plain cover. Hmm... wonder if is possible to get a stamped Weber cover or are they one-piece? The cover is rather light weight.

Name:	DSC02083.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	163911

It does indeed have a 1/4 inch jack on the tail shoulder strap. Think am going to need to widen the end strap hole to fit this 1/4 jack end though, or find a different strap... the one I have has a small hole and I'm not overly confident of its fit. Think I have a leather punch around here.

Name:	DSC02082.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	163912

Is there a pickup attached to the jack/endpin? If so, neato.

Looks like an awesome mando for sure. Most the y2ks I've seen have a generic stamped or flat tale piece cover. Not sure if I've ever seen a "Weber" one. But I have definitely not seen it all.

Congratulations James. It looks like you will get a lifetime of music out of it.
    I have a Bitterroot F and it looks like the same wood combination. Same bridge.
    Mine is nice and loud. I love it.
    If you go over to Bruce Weber's new website they have loads of armrest, pickguards, and other goodies.
    You can even talk directly to Bruce by phone or email, and he is very helpful
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

29. The following members say thank you to mgap for this post:

I removed the pick-guard thinking that perhaps it would dampen the sound. It also left a patch where it removed the finish. How would I refinish that part of the exposed wood?

The thinner part of the pick-guard was not adhering and kept popping off. Had looked at other Weber Y2K's and Bridger's and saw none with a pick-guard, so I gently removed it. Still took some finish with it.

You can take some naptha and see if that dissolves the adhesive. It shouldn't damage the finish. If naptha or mineral spirits (which also should not damage the finish) doesn't loosen the adhesive, then you run the risk of damaging the top when you remove the pickguard. If you decide to go through with it, try using something softer than wood (like dental floss or a business card) to wedge it off slowly. Then you're left with a mess of adhesive to clean up, which if naptha and mineral spirits both don't work to dissolve, will be a real pain because anything else (acetone or other solvent other than naptha or mineral spirits) will almost certainly damage the finish.
    Probably the safest thing to do is to put some super glue under the lifted part of the pickguard to glue it back down. The pickguard probably does damp the output of the instrument a bit, but probably not enough that you could tell in a blind a/b.

Had the pick-guard removed. Looks like some sport of green rubbery adhesive was used along with some other double-sided clean sticky tape - or there was a chemical reaction when the adhesive was applied. Sadly some of that thin finish did come off.

Name:	DSC02085.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	164025

Looks rather ugly...

Name:	DSC02088.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	164026

Used a gentle solvent and a micro-fleece towel to remove the adhesive although the thin finish is going to need replaced. Is there a certain type of finish to use on these? Not sure if simple varnish would suffice or natural Tung Oil.

Name:	DSC02090.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	164027

Appear to have bit more reverb with the pick-guard removed, but that patch is there. Could put the pick guard back I suppose once the junk from it is removed although I would rather not put it back.

Name:	DSC02093.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	164028

As to answer is there a crack under the pick-guard, I would say there is no crack - just missing finish.