Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Ultex pick

Default Dunlop Ultex pick

Bought a 1.1 Ultex pick on a whim, and have to say it livens up my MK mandolin a lot. I've been using a Wegen with this mandolin, a 1.8. I like the feel of the thicker pick, but this mandolin sounds better with the Ultex. Interesting. May or may not supplant the Wegen, but it is good to try different once in a while.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Dunlop Ultex pick

One single pick? You'll find that this material wears down much faster than others, therefore packs of, say, 12 are necessary to keep up the ulteximate sound between orders. That lively sound comes at a price.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The Dunlop Ultex 1.14 Rhino pick is certainly fine, in a pinch. A bit plastic-y/thin sounding, to my ears.

These are my current go-to picks for guitar. I used them for a while on the mandolin but ultimately moved on to others. I've rounded the point on a few of my Ultex picks to make the tone a bit mellower on mandolin and that works well. (I use the large triangles.) I'm a dilettante when it comes to picks, however. I will settle on a given pick type for guitar or mandolin for a while, then eventually go back in to my collection and try something else. The TruShells from Fender hooked me for a good long while for mandolin. Right now I'm back to my JazzMando V-picks on the 8-string.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Try the Wegen in a thinner pick, I use the 100's and they are much better for me than the thicker ones.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    One single pick? You'll find that this material wears down much faster than others, therefore packs of, say, 12 are necessary to keep up the ulteximate sound between orders. That lively sound comes at a price.
    I have very little wear problems with the Ultex/Ultem material. I had a lot of wear with Tortex.

Do your Ultex picks really wear that fast?

7. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Do your Ultex picks really wear that fast?
    Dunlop Ultex or Clayton Ultem alike: on a triangle pick, it takes approx. 8 hrs of playing to wear down one point to a rather round shoulder. I don't like round shoulders. That means a new pick every month.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

9. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

My favorite mandolin pick is the Dunlop Ultex James Hetfield model. I think the thickness is 1.14mm. I use the pouted end & am playing mostly classical on my mando s.

I received a Blue Chip as a present & I just didn’t like it.

Different strokes for different folks.

11. The following members say thank you to billykatzz for this post:

I did buy two. I do also have a BC Tad 1r 60 for my Silverangel. I use thinner Wegen, I think 1.2, for guitar. Have loved the Dipper Wegens for a while now. I like having a pick for each guitar and mandolin I own, so I'd need about $400 worth of BC picks for that. I almost have a tuner for every instrument too. Always seem to grab the guitar case that has no tuner in it.

Playing with picks like the Ultex is cheap thrills. You can hear a difference and feel it too,
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I used to use ultex for mandolin and guitar. I now use V picks for both.

For what that's worth....

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

I like the tone of Ultem/Ultex and used those for years until I switched to BC picks. I have never really had my ultems wear much on the mandolin but I am not much of a strummer, however I would wear mine down when I used them for backup rhythm guitar. For that I swear on the BC and until recently used the same one for the last 5 or 6 years. Now I have a few backups.

I made some custom classical picks using a sheet of ultem I bought some years ago. It took quite a while to shape it. It is not as tough as the BC material but it pretty heavy duty.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

On guitar, I would go through one Ultex/Ultem pick (either .88 or 1.0 thick) in a three hour old-time jam. Those were large jams with only one or two guitars. By the time I was done, about half the pick was gone and there was a lot of dust on the pickguard and front of the guitar. Did like the tone on guitar.

Haven't been that fond of the sound of that pick on my mandolins. But that's my preference. Right now, my go to has been the Wegen Bluegrass pick 1.0. Seems to have enough cut without sounding thin. Although I have been grabbing a Primetone 1.0 for some jams/practices.

As for Blue Chip, right now, I'm hearing too much of a rasping sound when I strike the strings. The listener probably doesn't hear it, but I do. At least practicing at home. But still keep one at hand for extra volume.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post

As for Blue Chip, right now, I'm hearing too much of a rasping sound when I strike the strings. But still keep one at hand for extra volume.
    Obviously picking technique produces different results for different people but I found the Blue Chip to be a little quieter (a little more mellow) than I like.

18. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    On guitar, I would go through one Ultex/Ultem pick (either .88 or 1.0 thick) in a three hour old-time jam. Those were large jams with only one or two guitars. By the time I was done, about half the pick was gone and there was a lot of dust on the pickguard and front of the guitar. Did like the tone on guitar.
    They seem to wear faster on bigger instruments (my quote was for the OM, of course). Maybe they have to be banged harder to be heard (that's my excuse anyway).

I’ve been ising the same ultex pick on my tenor guitar daily for maybe two years. It’s a triangular 60. It’s still fine. It is a very responsive guitar so I guess I play with a lighter touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Bought a 1.1 Ultex pick on a whim, and have to say it livens up my MK mandolin a lot. I've been using a Wegen with this mandolin, a 1.8. I like the feel of the thicker pick, but this mandolin sounds better with the Ultex. Interesting. May or may not supplant the Wegen, but it is good to try different once in a while.
    If you think the Ultex livens up your mandolin than try a BC ! You will put the Ultex aside !

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    It is a very responsive guitar so I guess I play with a lighter touch.
    Plus, your pick has only half as many strings to work through.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

After reading some comments on this thread I decided to go back and try some of my older and more simple (non beveled) picks with my mandolins... Dunlop Ultex and Tortex, Clayton Acetal and Ultem (1mm-1.5mm). To me they all seem to sound and feel the same to very similar.

I use these with my guitars and they work well. I mostly strum. My playing doesn't wear them quite as fast as mentioned above... but I keep most my picks in a small jar and I'm unsure of how much or little the picks are being rotated.

However, after using Wegens (TF120), Prime Tones (triangle 1.4), and my new BC CT55 on my mandolins it's hard using a pick without a speed bevel.

The non beveled picks sound a tad scratchy. The tone is ok but I feel I have to work hard to produce loud volume.

Picks are fun!

24. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    The non beveled picks sound a tad scratchy.
    non-beveled Ultems do that when new (and I like that), but wear often causes them to develop a natural bevel soon, depending on attack angle. They can get sharp like knifes that way, as an intermediate state.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    If you think the Ultex livens up your mandolin than try a BC ! You will put the Ultex aside !
    Not for me.

I'd rather a bag of Ultex picks than one BC.

So your comment may or may not work for the OP.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    After reading some comments on this thread I decided to go back and try some of my older and more simple (non beveled) picks with my mandolins... Dunlop Ultex and Tortex, Clayton Acetal and Ultem (1mm-1.5mm). To me they all seem to sound and feel the same to very similar.
    Those materials you mention are some of the long term go-to pick materials I've used for decades. All are stiff and can hold a good point for a while.

Overall the Ultex/Ultem seems the best - by a small amount.

You BC chip lovers will have another opinion of course!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

DavidKOS glad to see I'm not the only one not sold on BC picks.I don't see them to be any better than my Fender extra heavy except they may last longer. At about a quarter per pick I can buy what 160 fenders for one BC, and I don't cry if I lose one.

29. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Blue Chip picks: those who like them do and those who don’t, don’t. Everybody is different. I like the tone and the durability. As noted above, I was a longtime ultem user but on guitar (old time backup mostly) I would wear them to razor edges — used rounded triangles. I use both BC and Wegen on mandolin. They work for me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    Obviously picking technique produces different results for different people but I found the Blue Chip to be a little quieter (a little more mellow) than I like.
    And that I can totally see, too. For mandolin, my technique is changing compared to guitar. Spent a lot of time practicing with a couple of other band members last night. Realized that what might sound good practicing alone at home doesn't necessarily work with other instruments. And that I'm probably worrying too much about subtle things that no one else notices. The other mandolin player in our group (and my mentor) uses Dunlop nylon picks and has for 20 plus years. They work for him.

Back to the OP - the Ultex are good picks. And if they work for you, even better. No one is right here. We're all wanting to hear different things.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I like the ultex picks, as well.

They last forever (for me). The only disadvantage is that they're clear, and if I drop one, it can be hard to find!

Re the poster above who complained that they ground to dust on him:
    What are you using for strings? Hacksaw blades???

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Albert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    I like the ultex picks, as well.

They last forever (for me). The only disadvantage is that they're clear, and if I drop one, it can be hard to find!
    Oh yeah, I've searched on some bandstands for them myself!

36. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: