Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metronome

Default Re: Metronome

Sir Paul had the benefit of Ringo's drumming. There's a funny video on YouTube of Ringo talking about click tracks. Can't post it here because of some colorful language but he says "I'm the bleepity-bleep click track!"

There's also a story about Earl Scruggs and his brother, I think, pickin' in the yard. They would walk in opposite directions around the house and try to be on beat when they came back together.

So, a metronome can be like a good drummer or a solid rhythm pickin' pal.

Maybe history would be different if Pete Best had honed his chops with a metronome.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

The MetroGnome ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metrognome.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	163597
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

I find playing a fiddle tune at a comfortable speed to a metronome to be a relaxing, almost therapeutic experience. Playing to drum trax (see Drum Genius app) even more rewarding. Get a good country 2/4 beat with a heavy snare hit and you can practice your chop...when you are making the snare sound disappear you are on it.

5. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

I wanted to add for OP that there are lots of options for practicing timing...in addition to the plain metronome there are apps like iRealPro and websites like Strum Machine and Flatpick Apprentice where you can practice along with a rhythm track if a click annoys you. I use a combo of all depending on my mood and what I’m practicing, sometimes slowing down to practice difficult passages and sometimes speeding up to get comfortable playing at speeds just beyond my reach. If you have good timing you can play with just about anyone...have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

My wife snoring in the other room keeps a pretty decent beat and timing !

When using a metronome how do you know what ‘tempo’ to set it on i.e., Adagio, Allegro etc...

Quote Originally Posted by kybred View Post
    When using a metronome how do you know what ‘tempo’ to set it on i.e., Adagio, Allegro etc...
    The tempo should be set at various speeds, so that you can practice at various speeds. As for "adagio", "allegro', etc., those terms are all general and relative, not specific. "Allegro" means "fast", but what is "fast"? It depends on context, style, player, etc. If you have actual metronome markings, remember that they are only suggestions by the composer or editor. You can play any speed you want.

One of the useful things to do with a metronome is to set it for notes other than the "beat". If you are having trouble with rhythms in 4/4, set the metronome to play the eighth-notes. This gives you a better "ruler" to measure with. Conversely, once you have a tune learned, set the metronome for half-notes, or even whole notes, and see if you can keep steady between the clicks.

The Italian tempo markings such as adagio, are interpreted to mean a range of beats per minute. This picture of a Wittner metronome shows some typical ranges.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wittner-piccolo-836-black-2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	163630
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coronado For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kybred View Post
    To answer just a little differently than the previous posters, it depends on why you're setting it. If it's to practice, see what David L said. If it's to learn a piece (or play it) at the performance speed of a recorded version, lots of metronome apps allow you to tap in a tempo - so you can play the recording and tap along to it to get a reasonably exact tempo setting for that song. I'll occasionally do this when playing with a weaker drummer - have a visual metronome going on my tablet to keep us at a somewhat consistent tempo.

Good explanations that I can use during my practicing sessions ...thanks so much! It’s very comforting to know that us newbies are in this new experience with those who already have the experience and know the answers to our wonderings. Appreciation is not strong enough for the gratitude for you sharing your knowledge and recommendations. So grateful!

I rarely pay any attention to the beats per minute. I have one of the tiny Wittners. The markings are so small I can hardly read them. I set the metronome, then increase or decrease accordingly. Do highly recommend the Wittner because of its pleasing acoustically driven click. Most electronic clicks I find annoying and the wind up Wittner never needs batteries, and after quite a while will wind down so you get a rest. Small enough for a case compartment too.

I only really look at the speed when I think I'm reaching the approximately 110 bpm fiddle dance tunes get played at. That's when I find I'm only playing at 95 bpm and have more work to do.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Watch this to the end. Wow. Wow.

Metronome never has to be boring.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Ridiculous as this may seem, my main problem with working with a metronome is that I am not listening to it. Because i am practicing alone, I am playing and not listening.

If I stop, and just listen to the metronome for a while, and then keep that "attitude" while i play the fiddle tune, I do much better. Listen. Listen.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Ridiculous as this may seem, my main problem with working with a metronome is that I am not listening to it. Because i am practicing alone, I am playing and not listening.
    Interesting observation and concept. How does that work in a jam or other ensemble situation?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Watch this to the end. Wow. Wow.

Metronome never has to be boring.
    Victor is always entertaining and informative. He does make one odd mistake. He says that the "time signature" is set at 160, when he obviously means that the "tempo" is 160. I'm surprised they let that one stay while editing.

His book, "The Music Lesson", is an interesting read.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Interesting observation and concept. How does that work in a jam or other ensemble situation?
    I lock in pretty good with other musicians. No problem there. Or even playing along with a CD.

But when I play alone, its different, for some reason. I have to imagine the metronome as another player or something, to really listen.

The entire staff
    funny....