Thread: Octave Mando slotted fret scale template

Default Octave Mando slotted fret scale template

Does anyone sell octave mandolin slotted fret scale templates?

Default Re: Octave Mando slotted fret scale template

If you are using a table saw, LMI sells templates. They will make a custom template for any scale you want. They have a bunch templates and you can use part of template to make a a shorter scale as well. https://www.lmii.com/products/tools-...ting-templates

3. The following members say thank you to Joe Mendel for this post:

I just use one of my guitar templates and re-designate which slot is the nut if I want something other than a Gibson or a Fender scale. I've also used a bass scale template in the same manner -- just re-desinate which slot is the nut -- but you really need to double and triple check what you're doing and not get confused. There is no rule on exactly what the scale length on an octave mandolin needs to be but anything from 24 to 25.5 has worked fine for me. I actually prefer the smaller.

The only two octaves I have built have been 22" scale. I'd have to check what string gauges the owners settled on but they both loved them. If 22" was in line with what you were thinking I could cut you a template.

If you're in Europe, Guitars and Woods can cut you a nice plexi template to the scale you want. They just did a 23" tenor guitar template for me, nice work & good price.