Thread: Another right hand question!

Default Another right hand question!

Hey ya'll! I've been working on my right hand technique and I had a question about thumb placement on the pick. Before I started really thinking about my technique I used to place the pick in the middle of my thumb so there was a good amount of thumb sticking out from the pick. I used my thumbs knuckle keep the pick in place and sort of "drive" the pick through the strings. After watching some video close ups of some of my favorite players like Thile I notice the way they hold the pick is more flush with the tip of their thumb( probably so the thumb can be bent to increase the angle of the pick to string) . So that leads me to the question... when you pick are you using the pad of your thumb to drive the pick through the strings or are you using the thumbs knuckle to do it?

Default Re: Another right hand question!

I use the pad of my thumb,but I don't use my thumb to "drive" the string or strings,it's a unified collaboration with my whole hand,wrist and forearm that drives the strings....

I agree with T.D.

Also, one up-picks. So thumb and finger hold the pick, whilst the wrist drives it.

That said, thumb and finger aren’t static. There are a lot of micro adjustments that happen depending on how you are picking.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Blog Entries

Pad. I've practiced using it further back but have better feel especially on rhythm with it forward

Pad, you have more different tone control shaping points in my opinion there than farther back. If you want Mike Compton's sound though, hold it at the joint.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music