Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Bass

Default Re: Electric Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    ...Anyway, I’m pretty sure you can't get anything more compact in a bass guitar, without crossing over to the U-verse.
    Well, there's the Ashbory bass, originally sold by Guild, then taken up later by Fender and DeArmond. Uses the same type of silicon/rubber strings as the new "ukulele basses," but a solid body, passive and active piezo pickups. Pretty good "quasi-acoustic" sound, and the used ones go cheap. I don't think it's being made any more, but used ones pop up regularly.

I have one of the older Guild ones; don't use it much, once in a blue moon, but like having the capability. Good bass for a mandolin player, in a way, since its 18-inch scale's pretty friendly in terms of size and fret separation.

Oh, and you're supposed to us talcum powder on your fingers, to let them slide easily on the rubber strings.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

The OP doesn’t give us a lot to go on, only that he seems to want to use the electric bass for bluegrass and that he already has an upright and a acoustic bass guitar. I’ll chime in and say that bass guitars never sound right when played in bluegrass, and that goes for the solid body or acoustic varieties. You can get a bass guitar with a more upright-y tone (hollow body, tape wound strings, Ashbory, etc) but I say that if you are going electric you should own it. Get a Fender P Bass, wither the current version or the telecaster style for bonus points. Get a good wam amp and turn the treble down. Still, no one is going to want to see you coming at the bluegrass fest with an electric bass guitar...

The OP has not posted since the end of last year. Maybe he forgot. Oh well...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

ah, the electric bass guitar, what a godsend. as to scale length, don't much matter to me if it's 30" or 34" as those lengths, or anything in between will offer proper bass tones because it's really all about the electronics. some argue that going to the shorter 30" is heresy but paul mccartney's hofner refutes that soundly (pun intended). i've also transformed many a fretted bass to "joco correct" fretless.

as with any stringed instrument, fretted or not, playability is number one. sound/tone comes next, and that'll be about the electronics, both onboard the instrument and outboard of it. having played electric bass in the late 50's to early 70's because everyone in bands wanted to be guitar lead rock stars, my current bass is a lowly squier bronco bullet, with my p-51 pickup, all new electronics that includes a dummy coil under the pickguard, a 4 saddle p-bass bridge, and flatwound strings.

i would never buy an electric bass for more than $300, typically LOTS less. the key to purchasing will always be in this order - playability, sound, aesthetics, cost. there's some truly Great fretted instruments coming from the pacific rim, we're lucky to take advantage of this before global economics change.

Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I recently bought a Jaguar SS and couldn't be more happy with it. It has the PJ pickup wiring--one Jazz PU and one Precision PU. I found out after playing bass for 30+ years that I prefer a short-scale FB. It makes it easier for me to go back and forth between guitar, mandolin and bass.

I also have a Hofner Club bass, which is also SS. The elctronics on it are the same as a Beatle bass, just a different body shape. I think that the Hofner has a more acoustic sound than the Fender.
    Another vote for these. I lucked out on a used one - a doctor-type bought one and had his luthier do a custom pickguard, change the P pups to American Standard and the J to Seymour Duncan on top of a Badass bridge and flatwounds. He got it back and decided he didn't like short-scale basses. I got it for the cost of the guitar - $179 or something silly like that. Very nice recording bass, especially in small spaces.

But my fave is my Yamaha BB with neodymium Q-Tuners and my vintage Yamaha bass amp.

VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Absolutely agree that G&L is a brand to watch for - they are just a delight to play. A Fender American Standard Jazz Bass is another wonderful choice - fretted or fretless.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

8. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Well I pulled the trigger on a bass. I found it in a music store in Eugene, OR. It's a 1980's Fender Jazz Special, which is a P/J bass. I put some Thomastik strings on it. It's nice, not an upright, but nice all the same. Thanks for all your posts.

10. The following members say thank you to banjoboy for this post:

I've never liked the P bass necks. Since I learned to do my own setups, can solder and paint, I put my own together from quality parts. Warmouth and USA custom both make good bodies and necks. I have both a J bass and a P bass with a J neck. I like active EMG pickups for bass.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I got bitten by the bass bug several years ago but didn't want to spend a lot. I ended up with a short scale from Rondomusic.com

I don't remember which model it was, but I found the instrument very well made,and it sounded great. The price was ridiculously low. Many people on the bass forums,even pros, liked these especially as travel instruments.Some people upgraded the pickups. Eventually I passed it on to our bass player son, but I really enjoyed it while I had it.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
    I have a few electric basses (9) and my favorite is my first, a precision from'68. But, I have a few from Rondo including a jazz that was $99 shipped! It needed nothing but setup, even the pickups are great. The SX basses from Rondo are great for the money, and if there's any problem at all you can ship them back for full refund, no issues.

So, it really depends on how much you want to spend. All of my Fenders are US made, but I bet the Mexican models are just as good. A P bass will work for anything, and a jazz will work for anything else.

The OP probably has an Italian double bass and is playing in a major orchestra by now.

13. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Everyone has their own favorite. Mine would be the Fender Jazz Bass. Big and round sound. Love it.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Everyone has their own favorite. Mine would be the Fender Jazz Bass. Big and round sound. Love it.
    Photo c 1968 - with my '67 Jazz. I purchased it new for $345 w/ the hardshell case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	555_Long_Island_Sound.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	165895  

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

steinberger bass Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xt-2db-standard-bass-bk-1400x412.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	165912
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'll see your Steinberger, and raise you a KubickiName:  Kubicki.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  2.0 KB
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H