Thread: OM sized tailpiece

Blog Entries

Default OM sized tailpiece

yes, Hi , What does everyone think about tailpieces on OM's and bouzoukis ?? I'd like to see a company come out with a couple of fresh designs for larger mandolin family instruments. The endpin on mandolin tailpieces seems to close to the top on the deeper bodied instruments.

Default Re: OM sized tailpiece

It would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting due to the tiny market for such things. Meanwhile, nobody says that you have to install the endpin in the hole at the end of your tailpiece! I have a deep-bodied mandola that currently has no endpin, but were I to install one, it would definitely be in the center of the instrument, for proper balance's sake should I want to use a strap with it, even if that leaves the hole in the tailpiece unused and forlorn. Perhaps I'll fill it with some bit of inlay....

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

S'pose you could say the same about tuners and bridges but, as bratsche says, OM's are a relatively small market and it's probably not worth anyone tooling up to make a standard one. Fortunately, my Clark GBOM has a "Clark" tailpiece. You could always use the offset hole for a jack socket.

I never really thought about it, but I just got out my Weber OM and you are right; the endpin is not centered. If I've had it all these years and never noticed, it must not really matter to me. The TP on it seems to work just fine. That said, I think I'll go play it a bit.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album