Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DR Dragon Skin Strings

Default DR Dragon Skin Strings

Has anyone used the new DR Dragon Skin mandolin strings? Give my your opinion of them, tone/volume/feel etc.

Thanks-
    Randy

Default Re: DR Dragon Skin Strings

played a show and been on a set about a week and I highly recommend them. they sound like uncoated strings but have the coated feel, I've tried about every coated mandolin string they make and I like these the best, especially at $10 per pack.

These sound interesting. Must investigate. My favourite strings by far are Elixir Nanos (for the coating) because uncoated strings oxidise and die quickly in the tropics where I live. With care to remember to apply Fast Fret nightly, Nanos can last three months or longer. So far I've only found information on Dragon Skin guitar strings, so I'll also be interested to hear from anyone with experience of the Dragon Skins for mandolin.
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Nov-23-2014 at 11:26pm.

I know about Dragon Skin guitar strings,but not about the DS Mandolin strings - until i just found this ad. I use DR MD11's & MD12's on my mandolins & i love 'em. Here in the 'far less than Tropical' UK,humidity isn't a problem,but folk with moist hands might like these.I haven't looked,but i doubt if these DS mandolin strings are available in the UK,but they do seem as though they'd be a good string, especially if they sound as good as the non-coated mandolin strings,
    Ivan
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/drstdrk3coma.html#
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

If the nice people at DR Strings are looking to put their Dragon Skins to the ultimate field test with a sweaty-handed player based in the tropics where humidity is always high and daytime temperatures average over 30 degrees C, I'm standing by my mailbox

I did a good search for the Dragon Skin mandolin strings yesterday,& it seems there's no store in the UK stocking them. One or 2 stores stock the DS guitar strings,so whether they'd be prepared to ship in a few sets of the mandolin strings,i don't know,but it's doubtful. Anybody in the UK wishing to try them, is going to have to import them from the US. So,as long as it's only a couple of sets,duty & tax might not come into play as long as the total cost inc. P & P doesn't come to more than £15 UK ($23.50 US),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've got some here at the house, just waiting for my current set of MD11's to reach a sufficient age to justify changing. Unfortunately, said "current set" has only been on about 4 weeks, so it might be a while before I have anything to report.
    I'm very anxious to try them out, since I love the DR MD11's, but have disliked every coated string I've tried. They just never sound right. In fact, the current MD11's were preceded by a set of EXP's, and a band mate (not known for his discerning ear) commented, unprompted, on how much better the DR's sounded.
    Mitch Russell

Mitch - I've never really like any coated string either,they seem too 'slick' under my fingers,but the MD11's & 12's are so good,i'd give the DR coated ones a try out - if i could get 'em !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I know it's an old thread, but they still make these strings so it is still pertinent to discuss them and it keeps all the info in one appropriately named thread...

I just removed a set of Dragonskin strings from my mandolin last night and I am happier than I have been in a long time. I had originally tried them because the G on the Elixir lights was too light. (I wish it was .038!) I thought to try a different coated string, assuming the coatings would be similar. Boy was I ever wrong! There were two things I didn't like.

First, these are very sticky strings. If you really need to keep a grip on the strings with your left hand, then these are your strings. Your fingers will stay where you put them. But I like to slide from one fret to the next sometimes and it is a miserable experience with these strings. They did not slide smoothly from the first day and they got worse as problem number two showed itself...

Second, the coating either wore off or corroded or something very quickly. I only play for an hour or so every evening, but I was seeing discoloration within a month and what resembled corrosion after two months or so. I've never had strings corrode before, so maybe it was just something wrong with the coating. I don't know. I don't really care what the strings look like as long as they sound good and are slippery. I just think the discoloration indicates that something went wrong with them.

I am back to J73s and happy. (Until curiosity gets the best of me again.)

Registered User DR Strings Official's Avatar

Hey all, Josh here with DR Strings, thank you everyone for the kind words and curiosity. We are a small, handmade U.S. manufacturer and wanted to address some of the questions posted on this forum.

A little bit about Dragonskin coating; we developed it in house. It is quite different because it is harder as opposed to other coatings that appear more soft which adds to the sound. We understand it is difficult to find our products in the U.K. However, we recently began business with a new distributor, Barnes & Mullins. You can always email us directly for any inquiries at staff@drstrings.com

@fatbear we will send you a private note and will be happy to address the issue you are having.

Happy playing!

- DR Handmade Strings

Hey Fatbear,
    So sorry to see you are not satisfied with the Dragonskins. We would be happy to send you a replacement set. Please email us with your address, staff@drstrings.com

Kind regards,

- DR Handmade Strings.

Quote Originally Posted by DR Strings Official View Post
    @fatbear we will send you a private note and will be happy to address the issue you are having.
    Hi Josh, I could only give a report of what I experienced. It is quite possible that I just got a bad set, or a set that had been waiting around for a long time in a corrosive environment. I used to live on the Oregon coast, for example. The salt air there will corrode just about anything in no time. But I wasn't living there when I bought these strings.

And since my experiences were described in this public forum, it might be better if you were to address the issues here where everyone can see. I would really hate to be the cause of lost sales for you if my experience was just an aberration. On the other hand, if it is normal for the strings to be "sticky" rather than "slippery" I'm sure people would want to know that, too.

12/23/16

@FatBear

Hey again,
    We are sorry to hear about this experience, if you could please email us at staff@drstrings.com we would like to make it up to you.

As for the product itself, the Dragonskin Mandolin string model is hard coated, which adds to the sound, as opposed to some other brands that use soft coating. In addition, the coating provides extra protection against corrosion and tough environments.

You are correct that they should ideally be slippery and not sticky, so we hope with another shot you will be happier with the sound, anti-corrosion properties and the feel.

Best regards,

DR

Awesome customer service, DR.

Are they PB, 80/20 or nickel wrap (or nickel plated)? I can't find any info online and wanted to try a set each on one of my electrics and an acoustic.

Hey @silverface

That is a good question, I suppose we do need to point these sort of things out more.

Our Dragonskins are part of our coated series, they are a Phosphor Bronze unique hard coating. 92% Copper- 8% Zinc.

Common Acoustic material is usually Phosphor Bronze. You'll be pleased to know that our hard coating process will add to the sound rather than muffle it. I do hope you enjoy, let us know what you think, we are very open to questions, comments or concerns.

- DR

There is a opportunity in the string market left by Gibson discontinuing their Sam Bush Monel strings. Another thought would be to make the set available with heavier unwound A and E strings like .016 or .017 and .0115. A Dragon Skin option would be good as well if the sliding feel of the strings are not lost. I really like PB on my oval holes but nothing compares to Monel on my F5 (more power with less ring).
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Hey Fatbear,
    So sorry to see you are not satisfied with the Dragonskins. We would be happy to send you a replacement set. Please email us with your address, staff@drstrings.com

Kind regards,

- DR Handmade Strings.
    I used the email address provided to send an enquiry, ten days ago. Admittedly that was during the tail end of the holiday season, but it would still be nice to have heard back in that sort of time frame. No reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I used the email address provided to send an enquiry, ten days ago. Admittedly that was during the tail end of the holiday season, but it would still be nice to have heard back in that sort of time frame. No reply.
    Sorry about that, will look for it but we actually decided to switch it to global@drstrings.com, effective Monday. So sorry for the delay. Give it another go and we will get to chat.

-DR
    The handmade string in good hands....yours.

20. The following members say thank you to DR Strings Official for this post:

Sorry about that, will look for it but we actually decided to switch it to global@drstrings.com, effective Monday. So sorry for the delay. Give it another go and we will get to chat.

-DR
    A friend who was in the States recently picked up some sets of Dragon Skins for me. I just fitted some to my A4, and so far they seem very bright and loud. The coating certainly feels different to that on Elixir Nanos. Slides on wound strings feel a little more laboured. But they're new, so we'll see..... First impressions are good.

I contacted DR and they sent me a set of med Dragon Skins, when I first put them on I thought they were just great and I played the heck out of them while I was in Florida for two months, during that time they just went south and lost a lot of tone, that was the first set of coated strings that I have ever used but couldn`t feel any difference in those and non-coated stings...To be honest they don`t live up to the hype that DR has put out about them and I didn`t see any difference between them and the regular DR-11`s which I tried on two other mandolins and didn`t like the sound of those either....I will stick with GHS A-270`s...Just maybe it was because all of my mandolins have been set up using A-270`s if that makes a difference, I don`t know, if it does then who wants to do a complete set up every time we try a different brand of strings of the same gauge?

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ...maybe it was because all of my mandolins have been set up using A-270`s if that makes a difference, I don`t know, if it does then who wants to do a complete set up every time we try a different brand of strings of the same gauge?
    I have read, and it has also been my personal experience, that you have to adjust the intonation if you change string gauges. This is likely to be true of any brand of strings or mandolin.

Adjusting the intonation is fussy and I don't have any fancy method to make it less so. (I'm "all eyes" if any luthier wants to tell me their secrets!) But I have had a lot of practice. I move between hot/dry southern CA and a floating home in very humid Oregon twice a year. This causes so much movement in the instrument that I have to raise/lower the bridge twice a year. This also requires intonation adjustments and so that's usually when I change strings. I know some pros do it after every gig, but mine seem to last me 6 months of an hour or so nightly playing. They are definitely ready for a change at that point, though.

That's one reason I wanted to try coated strings: hoping they'd still be sounding good at the 6 month period. I did try that second email address and still never received a reply. I give up. I'm using J73s right now and will just swap in some more J73s in a few days.

Smile Re: DR Dragon Skin Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Linam View Post
    Has anyone used the new DR Dragon Skin mandolin strings? Give my your opinion of them, tone/volume/feel etc.

Thanks-
    Randy
    I've tried them and was very happy with them - great tone, feel, they keep the tune, a really full sound on my Eastman MD315, very long lasting, too - without losing quality. I can only recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
    That's one reason I wanted to try coated strings: hoping they'd still be sounding good at the 6 month period.
    I've never yet found any strings that were still sounding good at the six month mark. The closest I've come is Elixir Nanos, which are still pretty bright after three or four months.

Quote Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
    ... I did try that second email address and still never received a reply. I give up. I'm using J73s right now and will just swap in some more J73s in a few days...
    Hey FatBear.
    They ever get back to ya on this? If so how'd the new set work out?

Tromper