Thread: Fox On The Run by Dixie Gray Help

Default Fox On The Run by Dixie Gray Help

I saw this song being performed on YouTube by a group called Dixie Gray. Sorry I don't know how to post links. Anyway, could you guys/gals take a look at this video and explain to me how the mandolin player can play the whole song using only the G-shaped chop chord capoed at the third fret. Also, what key would this be and what kind of mandolin is he using? Thanks for any help as this has really been bugging me.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Fox On The Run by Dixie Gray Help

The video:

explain to me how the mandolin player can play the whole song using only the G-shaped chop chord capoed at the third fret

He is "chopping" against muted strings and his mandolin is not being amplified; no mic on it - might as well be slapping his thigh with his open hand. I can't really hear his mandolin in that audio.

Also, what key would this be

That would be the key of Bb. G# is one fret higher than G. A is two frets higher than G. Bb is three frets higher than G. Look at the guitarist - he is also capo 3 and playing a G chord shape. Many (really most) bluegrass guitarists capo 2 and use the G shape to play in the key of A, and capo 3 using the G shape to play in Bb.

I don't know what brand of mandolin he's playing, but surely someone else will recognize it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

It looks like both the guitar and the banjo are capo-ed at the third fret, which would be Bb. However it sounds like A so either both are tuned down a semi tone, half step, or the video has been speeded up.

Notice the microphone on both the guitar and the banjo are about 6" from the instrumkents. The mandolin is not amplified. He is probably not pressing the strings down, just strumming on fully muted strings.

5. The following members say thank you to RonEllison for this post:

I think the mandolin is a Savanah. Saw one on ebay that looked just like it.

I'm surprised,no breaks in this tune... hey lady,get out of the way ..

Blog Entries

They appear to be a vocal only band. In all but the above YT video the mandolin is held not played

9. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    They appear to be a vocal only band. In all but the above YT video the mandolin is held not played
    Hey Mark, I noticed that too. I think the guitar player and mando player are brothers and the banjo player is the son of the guitar player.