Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which type of practice do you do?

Default Re: Which type of practice do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    There is another level to this, and that's learning how to play with other musicians. You have to play out to do that... join local amateur jams, or join a band and learn that way. You learn how to listen to what the other musicians are doing, instead of just what your own instrument is doing. You learn how to lock into the group rhythm feel.

Amateur or pro, this is something you'll never learn with any structured practice regime playing alone at home, or just playing along with recordings, or studying with a teacher. It's not enough, unless your only aim is to be a solo performer.

And to be clear, there's nothing wrong with that. But it is a different set of skills, something easy to ignore when listening to how a highly skilled player like Chris Thile performs in a group situation. It's not just about his incredible mandolin chops. It's how he's listening and interacting with the other musicians.

This is the next step past whatever private practice you're doing at home. You can really jump-start your private practice by getting out there and playing with other good musicians.
    What you say is true, and it is odd that the article leaves out this out.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    In both models, the type of practice you are talking about is left out, which is odd.
    Jon, I thought by "you" you meant OP, but I see that's you! Mine was the post before this, but, unless you advise otherwise, I'll assume you're not speaking to me.

From JonZ - "...It's how he's listening and interacting with the other musicians.". Being able to do that is crucial in becoming a good 'band' musician. That's why, after spending years,literally,learning banjo instrumentals by the boatload,i decided that i'd concentrate on my ''back-up'' playing & Mr Scruggs was the perfect model for that. Most of us can learn tunes & blast 'em out 'whenever',but learning how to be a good back-up player,so as to enhance the band sound as a whole,is a skill in itself,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.