Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Case Labeling

Default Removing Case Labeling

https://reverb.com/item/2710705-wash...-mandolin-case

This Washburn case listed looks nice for the price but I’m not a fan of the outer Washburn logo. Can this be remove somehow?

Phil

Default Re: Removing Case Labeling

a case cover? mandolin cafe sticker?
    Last edited by mandroid; Dec-20-2017 at 5:49pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yup, black electrical tape would probably do the trick too but not the way I’m trying to go.

Phil

You won't be able to sand it off without damaging the exterior of the case, so...

1) You could overspray the entire side of the case with some flexible, black vinyl paint, like Rust-Oleum Vinyl and Fabric "paint" in a can. It's made for stuff like this.

2) You could test various types of paint remover (Smart-strip, Kleen-strip, Paint-Erase, etc) in a small area to see if one of these dissolved the gold-printed Washburn logo.

3) Why not put a Mandolin Cafe STICKER over it?!? ... or any other bumper sticker that expresses your views, for example, one that says "Accept No Washburns!"

I have two friends that use that case and love it. They don't seem to mind the Washburn logo though. I probably would. The logo is painted on. The problem with removing it chemically is that it will probably leave a mess and chances are that it might affect the black Tolex. With that said I think I'd try something like denatured alcohol on a q-tip on the paint in a small area and wash it off quickly with water. It that affects it then test to see if it affects the Tolex. Worst case scenerio get some flat black paint that is made for vinyl and see if you and tape off the rest of the case.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Reminds me of a local music store 30+ years ago -- they got a truckload of generic rectangular guitar cases cheap, trouble was they had some maker's logo on them. Anyway, they did the bumper sticker thing. If you bought a Fender guitar, ya got a Fender sticker, ya bought a Gibson, ya got a Gibson sticker.......

Dave Sheets

Think of the name as an anti-theft device
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

If you leave it as is.... show to a jam and watch the jaws drop when you pull a (insert high price mandolin brand here) out of it. 😉

10. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I remember having this case, I spray painted the whole top to cover it. I let it go with a Gibson F-5G.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Adrian Minarovic

I've seen that exact case with "Fender" on it as well. Could be generic OEM case and perhaps you can find it in version without any logo as well.
    Adrian

Mike Edgerton is correct - the logo will be painted on. You might be able to find a solvent to remove it,but the paint will get into the 'grain' of the covering & you'll end up with an unsightly mess & may even damage the case covering.

The case looks very similar to the ''Silver Creek'' case except for the additional compartment inside the SC case,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Creek cae...jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	163295
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    You won't be able to sand it off without damaging the exterior of the case, so...

1) You could overspray the entire side of the case with some flexible, black vinyl paint, like Rust-Oleum Vinyl and Fabric "paint" in a can. It's made for stuff like this.

2) You could test various types of paint remover (Smart-strip, Kleen-strip, Paint-Erase, etc) in a small area to see if one of these dissolved the gold-printed Washburn logo.

3) Why not put a Mandolin Cafe STICKER over it?!? ... or any other bumper sticker that expresses your views, for example, one that says "Accept No Washburns!"
    You could try the stuff they advertise on TV called "Flex Seal" and spray the entire case. Then it would be waterproof as well!

Actually, I would use this as an excuse to buy a new case. But, that's just me.
    ManjoMan

For the price it is a decent case. Covering the logo with paint or a sticker might be the better option here. I've used flex seal on another product. It might be flexible but it doesn't stand up well to normal abuse. I'd still be more inclined to find the paint they use to repair vinyl products. Check your local large auto parts store.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Try this stuff. It might be available to you locally as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24...aint+for+vinyl
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I removed a logo just like this (different brand, basically the same) "once". I don't recall exactly what I used, maybe acetone. I seriously regretted doing it moments after I started. I was able to get it off and it looked fine once finished, but it was a complete pain and took a LONG TIME. I tested on a very small area before going for it. I saw that it did come off without damage. Once I got into it, it smeared and I had to go over it again and again and again, etc... Let's just say, I would gladly pay $100 extra for the identical case sans logo, vs. trying to remove it.

If it were my case, I large sticker would be the answer.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Try this stuff. It might be available to you locally as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24...aint+for+vinyl
    Yes, Mike -- that's exactly one of the three things I recommended in post #4, right down to the brand.

Blog Entries

I had a case like that I got from my Uncle Gene Johnson, it didn't have the outside logo but same interior, it was a great case I used for quite a few years until I discovered Paganoni cases and well one ya have them if your into the vintage style vibe, well I've never wanted another style case!
    There may be some chemical that would remove it but it would pry dull the black?

Thanks for all the great responses! After all this now I’m thinking I’ll just leave it for now (If I do get the case). This might be a temporary case for me and if I get rid of it down the line the next owner might now “appreciate” my improvements. Too bad it doesn’t say Gibson.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    Thanks for all the great responses! After all this now I’m thinking I’ll just leave it for now (If I do get the case). This might be a temporary case for me and if I get rid of it down the line the next owner might now “appreciate” my improvements. Too bad it doesn’t say Gibson.

Phil
    Ovation makes a nice similar case with no logo (as far as I can tell from the pix) for not much more money (currently $98.85 at both musicians friend and GC). Of course, it may not fit your mandolin, I don't know.

I just bought a used 125th anniversary parlor guitar - and it looks like someone took all the gold off the case where is said "Washburn". There is still an impression of where it was.

I'm sorry I don't see the need to remove a little paint from a perfectly good case what ever shape that paint is in.

Travel stickers like you’d put on your steamer trunk when taking the grand tour of Europe!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Use a stencil to spray paint, in gold, just above "Washburn", the words "My Other Mandolin Is A".
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

27. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

Fastest way:
    Cover it up with a sticker.

Classier way:
    Put a case cover over it.

Sneaky way:
    Leave the Washburn logo on it.
    That way, when you carry around your Gilchrist inside, less chance of it getting stolen!

Sneaky way:
    Leave the Washburn logo on it.
    That way, when you carry around your Gilchrist inside, less chance of it getting stolen! [/QUOTE]

Almost definitely anyone that would steal an instrument isn’t going to know the difference between a Gilchrist and a Washburn. It would actually be easier for them to sell it if it were the Washburn.

30. The following members say thank you to goaty76 for this post: