Thread: Strings That Go To .040??

Default Strings That Go To .040??

Any reason why NOT to get a set that has .040 on the top end (G Strings) ????
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Default Re: Strings That Go To .040??

It depends on what mandolin you are playing, my Martin would never tolerate a 0.40. On other mandolins I use a 0.41 and have used a 0.42. Some like the feel of lighter strings 0.38 and some mandolins sound better with lighter strings, or don't need the heavier ones.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

As pops1 says,it depends what brand /style of mandolin you're playing. D'Addario EJ74's are possibly the very best selling string on the market, 11 /15 / 26 / 40 - so there must be a lot of 'suitable mandolins' around to take them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

EJ74 indeed is pretty much the “standard” and I had forgotten the size range of that set.

Pops: When you say that your Martin mandolin would “never tolerate” a .040.......how does that reveal itself?
    -SDC

I don’t mean to speak for pops, but let me just jump in to say that it would be inappropriate to use a heavy or sometimes even medium gauge strings on a mandolin with no adjustable truss rod. Heavier strings equals higher tension pulling up on the neck. An adjustable truss rod can be tightened to compensate for that extra pull. A Martin has no adjustable truss rod, so udpsing strings that are too heavy on such an instrument can manifest itself with excessive neck relief, and eventually even a permanent down bow and/or a failure of the neck joint. I would stick with light or even extra light gauge on a Martin, if I owned one. Same for old bowlbacks.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Well I wasn’t thinking exclusively Martin, and I don’t know if there’s an adjustable truss rod on the Breedlove. I hesitated to work with a replacement set that had a .040 G string, But on the other hand I don’t want to go to an extremely light gauge and end up getting a lot of buzzing.

Yes, I know I can adjust for that with the bridge, but........
    -SDC

I like the GHS on my other mandolins, 11,16,26,41 that is the pure nickel. On their phosphor bronze the G is a 40. I like the 16 for the A above the 15 of the J74's. I also like the sound and feel of the GHS strings. The pure nickel are new and a very nice string for sound and long life. I use 10-36 on the Martin not because it doesn't have a truss rod, old Gibson's don't either and they tolerate 11-40 quite well. The Martin is a bent top and like a bowl back built much lighter than an archtop mandolin. They are designed for lite strings and sound quite good with them. Some folks would say I am using too heavy a string on the Martin, but it seems to work nice.

Any recommendations for the limitations on string sizes on the Breedlove? I haven’t checked to see what the sizes are of the strings that were on it when I bought it.
    -SDC

I wouldn't be worried, I used regular strings when I had a Breedlove. Try a few sets and see what it likes.
    Breedloves do have a truss rod, it is accessed thru the endpin so you may have to adjust it if you vary the string gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I wouldn't be worried, I used regular strings when I had a Breedlove. Try a few sets and see what it likes.
    Breedloves do have a truss rod, it is accessed thru the endpin so you may have to adjust it if you vary the string gauges.
    Interesting... why do the Breedlove Crossover FF have a truss rod cover if you have to access it through the endpin?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-BREEDLOVE-CROSSOVER-MANDOLINS_HSF.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	163281
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Good thing I didn’t glue the end pin guys, right!? I have the same question however. If you access the truss rod through the tail pin or “end pin,” then why would they put a cover on the headstock?
    -SDC

Thanks Jim, my Breedlove truss rod was accessed thru the endpin, I guess I thought they all would be. Is it different since they moved out of the country?

Blog Entries

Soupy. I googled this for you...
    Your Breedlove guitar or mandolin is factory-equipped with D’addario EXP74 strings. 40, 26, 15, 11
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    .... let me just jump in to say that it would be inappropriate to use a heavy or sometimes even medium gauge strings on a mandolin with no adjustable truss rod.....Same for old bowlbacks.
    I agree with regard to old bowlbacks and mandolins without any trussrod. However, many luthiers produce mandolins with carbon fiber or other means of adding strength to the neck and advise using normal gauge strings (e.g. 11-40) with the mandolins. One example might be Heiden, and I'm sure there are others. So an "adjustable trussrod" might not always be necessary.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Soupy. I googled this for you...
    Your Breedlove guitar or mandolin is factory-equipped with D’addario EXP74 strings. 40, 26, 15, 11
    Thanks. That must’ve been a bit of a dig, to find that information. I would’ve probably attempted to send an email to the manufacturer and ask THEM what they put on their Mando’s. What did you use as a search criteria?
    -SDC

I have a 2015 Gibson F9. I had a set of EXP75s on it. I just changed tonight and thought I would try EXP74s, which are .011-.040. They of course play a little easier but I dont think they have nearly as much tone on mine. I will probably put the EXP75s back when I change. 75s are .0115-.041. Do any of you guys know what some of the pros play. Like Steffey, Doyle Lawson, Wayne Benson, etc... I havent tried to google it. I think maybe Sam Bush plays a little heavier string maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I agree with regard to old bowlbacks and mandolins without any trussrod. However, many luthiers produce mandolins with carbon fiber or other means of adding strength to the neck and advise using normal gauge strings (e.g. 11-40) with the mandolins. One example might be Heiden, and I'm sure there are others. So an "adjustable trussrod" might not always be necessary.
    Howard Morris is one who uses a carbon fiber strengthener (I run .11-.40 without issues). I also believe Mowry prefers to build without an adjustable truss rod.
    **Sorry, didn't realize I was responding to an old comment

I’m glad this thread go revived. It gives me a chance to correct a mistake in my earlier post. Where I said “permanent down bow” I meant to say “permanent up bow”.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah ….. I keep .40's on my F4 ….. no neck problems to date. If memory serves it has an ebony inlay and no metal in the neck. Please correct me if I am wrong you folk that have had one apart. A Peterbuilt could be driven through the holes in my memory these days. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by double E View Post
    I have a 2015 Gibson F9. I had a set of EXP75s on it. I just changed tonight and thought I would try EXP74s, which are .011-.040. They of course play a little easier but I dont think they have nearly as much tone on mine. I will probably put the EXP75s back when I change. 75s are .0115-.041. Do any of you guys know what some of the pros play. Like Steffey, Doyle Lawson, Wayne Benson, etc... I havent tried to google it. I think maybe Sam Bush plays a little heavier string maybe.
    Here’s a look at what Ronnie McCoury is currently playing on his Gilchrist
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66BA596E-EC9C-4ED4-BBF3-C0C3DCAD4586.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	170569
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

21. The following members say thank you to Jesse Kinman for this post: