Thread: Choice of Three Mandolins

Default Choice of Three Mandolins

Hello, Had a death in the family and haven't been here for a while. Been thinking of a new mando and would like some opinions. These are all Kentuckys and will be unable to play them prior to buying. Just asking which one you would favor considering price point and model. I can get a KM1000 for around $1000, a KM1500 for around $1300 or a Bill Monroe KM5000 for around $1900. All are in mint condition, however the KM1500 has no case. Which would be the better buy or should I be looking at different brands. It has to be an F under $2K. Thanks

Default Re: Choice of Three Mandolins

Of those I would chose the 1500 and not look back. I know someone who purchased a new 1500 last summer and is really happy with it. I owned a 1050 and it was a terrific mandolin which should be similar. More bling on the 1500 and maybe fancier woods? The 1000 has a 1 1/16" nut, a flat fretboard and small frets. I owned a 900 which is the same and just never bonded with it, was hard to get used to the small frets. I have checked specs and can not find if the fretboard is radius or not? I seem to remember the earlier ones were flat and the newer ones have a radius. I do believe they have larger frets as well. I have never seen one of the BM 5000's but they do not seem well received and are tough to sell. At $1900 for a few hundred more you might be able to find a used Northfield, Flatiron, Summit, etc. and probably have a better a mandolin.
    It looks like the owner of the 1500 owns/works at a music store. Possibly he would make you a deal on a case. The Superior case is really nice and fits them well.
    Good luck, lots of good mandolins out there and seems that it is a buyers market right now.

3. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Ratliff Country Boy R5!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

If you can afford $1900 for a mandolin, then spending another $100.00 on a case won’t be any big deal for you.
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

I'd go for the KM1500 and get yourself a nice case.
    You might also checkout a JBovier F5 for $1600 new with case
    https://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/1642...t-or-black-top

I've gone through some Kentucky's and Loar's, and found the Eastman to be far superior in terms of tone and playability. Just my opinion, but I got a used Eastman MD815V (varnish finish) and am still blown away by the tone and ease of play. I have two Collings mandolins, and this Eastman holds its own, so no plans to sell it. It sounds like mandolins costing thousands of dollars more.

Again, just MHO.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I just have to ask... why a Kentucky? $1900 buys a lot of mando and I imagine you could get something really nice if you shop used. Just a thought.

Good luck on your search

If you're not going to be able to play before you buy, why are you limiting your options to just three mandolins?

10. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

If I had 1500 - 2k for my only mandolin I would be searching for a Collings A or Flatiron F on the used market.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hallmark498 For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

There's a Gibson F9 in the classifieds right now for $1900. NFI.

If you can play them first why ask us? Buy the one that sounds and plays best, the one that speaks to you.

Just in case you are like me and don't always look at the other forums, you may want to read through this: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...e-around-2-000

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hallmark498 View Post
    If I had 1500 - 2k for my only mandolin I would be searching for a Collings A or Flatiron F on the used market.
    OP said it had to be an F. I can think of a few A style mandolins under 2K that I might take a chance on without playing first but for an F under 2K I would really to play it before the sale was final

Of hose 3 I’d choose the 1500 and get a Travelite or Gator foam case (around $75) and run with it. Request a 48 or 72 hour approval period so you have an out if you don’t think you can bond with it.

Also agree, though, with looking at Eastman and Ratliff, and occasionally Gibson F9, Weber Gallatin, Bulldog, and Silverangel F styles will pop up in that range, though waiting for one of those requires patience. My Eastman 315, which I bought for < $500 new to use as a beater, is really an excellent mandolin. If it were my main one I’d upgrade the tuners and bridge, but it’s excellent as is. It’s a good example of more bling (ie, 515, 615, and 815) not always equaling more mando. I recently played a 615 that I wouldn’t consider trading my 315 for...Good luck!
    Chuck

Well, I went with the KM1500 that was in the classifieds. It had a very good price on it and everything I've read about the KM1500 has been really positive so am hoping for the best.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torpedotom For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Right on! Happy pickin' and happy holidays!