Thread: Fretboard bowing issue

Question Fretboard bowing issue

I'm contemplating the purchase of a 10-year-old Kentucky KM 150 mandolin from an online private seller as a starter instrument for my daughter. The seller has indicated that he's placed a straight edge on the fretboard, and there is a slight bowing in the middle of the fretboard, on the order of 5-10 thousandths of an inch. I'm wondering if this could be enough to affect the playability of the instrument?

Default Re: Fretboard bowing issue

If it has a truss rod you should be able to straighten the neck with that. If no truss rod a fret level can straighten that out and make it very playable. For first position it most likely won't matter, but makes it harder to play past the 5th fret and I don't like that. For a beginner make it as easy as possible.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You had better be getting a GREAT deal. If you look at reviews the newer Kentucky and Eastman mandolins have improved and become more constant. So a 10 year of mandolin that possibly has an issue with the neck or at least needs a proper setup???
    How old is your daughter and how big are her hands? The 150 has a flat fret board and a little thicker neck. If she is young or has small hands I would suggest trying to find a used Eastman 305. It has a slimmer neck, slightly narrower at the nut and a radius fretboard. I had a newer 150 and it was a very good mandolin, it was setup well and sound way better tan a $300 mandolin. I just did not bond with the neck/fretboard. I bought a used 505 for a backup/travel mandolin and it is much more comfortable to play for me.

If what Steve says you also might think of a Martin mandolin, the 13" scale is much nicer for smaller hands and the neck is not huge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!