Thread: "The Gibson" Slant or Straight across

Blog Entries

Default "The Gibson" Slant or Straight across

I wonder who influenced Gibson to change the peghead logo from a slant to straight across ? What was the reasoning...I mean, "the Gibson" remained on a slant on tailpiece cover.

Default Re: "The Gibson" Slant or Straight across

Any answer you get to this question will be pure speculation.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The election of Herbert Hoover, obviously. Do you even have to ask why?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

4. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

new man comes on board and has to leave his mark. First it was the straight "The Gibson" and then just "Gibson straight across. Some in thinner cut, others in heavier cut pearl. After the war they went back to the slant with another change in management who felt this is the way it should be.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Some years back I posted something something to this effect, that I think one of the innovations that Gibon really doesn’t get any credit for is the logo placement. I believe they are the first to have a stylized written out name on the front top center of the headstock. This is the standard now for pretty much all fretted string instruments. It is something we are so accustomed to seeing that we forget there was a time when this wasn’t done and I believe Gibson was the first.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    Some years back I posted something something to this effect, that I think one of the innovations that Gibon really doesn’t get any credit for is the logo placement. I believe they are the first to have a stylized written out name on the front top center of the headstock. This is the standard now for pretty much all fretted string instruments. It is something we are so accustomed to seeing that we forget there was a time when this wasn’t done and I believe Gibson was the first.

Phil
    I have a bowlback with "Bruno" on the headstock (at a slant), which I have always thought pre-dated Gibson, but I don't know for sure. I know that Bruno was a label put on instruments built by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I have a bowlback with "Bruno" on the headstock (at a slant), which I have always thought pre-dated Gibson, but I don't know for sure. I know that Bruno was a label put on instruments built by someone else.
    I just did a quick google search and yup there are Bruno bowl backs with the headstock logo. Anyone know when they started doing this?

Phil

You'd almost have to have the bowlback in hand. Bruno was a distributor. Those bowlbacks were probably still in demand of some sorts well after Gibson started building instruments. They might have been selling them into the 20's.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Here's a Regal bowlback built in Chicago (or at least finished there) after Gibson was started that has the name on the headstock.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Like F-5Loar said different guys leaving their mark! I've seen very nice flowerpots on late 30's A-50's but then on F-5's in 38-39 they were ridiculously spaced out and not centered, awful work to be seen on an F-5 IMHO! As far as The Gibson vs Gibson at a slant or straight that's a mystery? Well Gibson company subcontracted the pearl work to a few different guys so the later 30's and 40's that are thick cut are from the other "Guys" Not as refined as earlier works even the later flowerpots and ferns are way fatter-Its all in the Great Spann Gibson book!

Gibson did have some tail pieces with the word "Gibson" straight across, I seen it on some F-12 made in the `50`s...