Thread: Looking for information about a no name tenor guitar

Default Looking for information about a no name tenor guitar

I'm looking at a tenor guitar that has "Howard" stamped on it. I'm guessing it's just a rebranded Korean import but if anyone can date the instrument or provide additional insight, I would appreciate it.

https://static-mercariapp-com.akamai...jpg?1513006135

Default Re: Looking for information about a no name tenor guitar

Here's a bit of research into "Howard" branded instruments. The most exciting possibility is Epiphone, but also the least likely; Howard-branded Epiphone guitars are apparently rarer than rare, and appear to be up-scale models. Howard instruments made in Japan are generally labeled "1960's," so that might be an approximate date. There also were Howard guitars sold through the Wurlitzer chain of music stores, earlier in the last century.

Yours looks Gibson-esque, definitely not upscale, but also -- in its plainness -- suggestive of a budget-line American instrument rather than an Asian import. Any provenance (history) that you know of?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Here's a bit of research into "Howard" branded instruments. The most exciting possibility is Epiphone, but also the least likely; Howard-branded Epiphone guitars are apparently rarer than rare, and appear to be up-scale models. Howard instruments made in Japan are generally labeled "1960's," so that might be an approximate date. There also were Howard guitars sold through the Wurlitzer chain of music stores, earlier in the last century.

Yours looks Gibson-esque, definitely not upscale, but also -- in its plainness -- suggestive of a budget-line American instrument rather than an Asian import. Any provenance (history) that you know of?
    I don't know anything about this guitar except that it looks like a Gibson clone. The previous owner knows nothing about it except that it may be associated with Wurlitzer. I'm not sure this is based on actual instrument knowledge or just by googling. Once I receive it, I'll see if there are any other markings which can nail it down. I bought it for $80 shipped. I'd be happy if it's playable. Any actual tone or intonation would be a bonus. I expect I'll at least have to have it setup professionally.

5. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

Only one company I know of used that bridge. $80.00 shipped is a good price. I believe it was made in Chicago but I'm trying to do some more research. The truss rod cover has me confused.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: