Thread: Wienman at Gruhns Purchased by Jarrod Walker !!

Default Wienman at Gruhns Purchased by Jarrod Walker !!

Fine Instruments

Add Text Here...

Welcome to Wienman Fine Instruments, where mandolins and guitars are hand crafted with passion, dedication, and attention to detail in the Blue Ridge Mountains just outside of Asheville, North Carolina. Our vision is to create instruments that possess the quick response, balance, power, tone, and depth of dynamic range that will inspire and satisfy the needs of even the most demanding professional musician, and help the aspiring artist take their music to the next level, at a fair price. Instruments that quickly mature to possess that certain remarkable feel, playability, and look usually associated with fine vintage pieces. Instruments that exhibit the timeless artistry of a human touch and are sure to merit being passed down for generations to come. But most of all, they're just incredibly fun to play.

Custom • Handcrafted • Vintage By design™

Mandolins & Guitars

We are excited to say that the first mandolin we offered for sale was purchased by Jarrod Walker. We think Jarrod is a phenomenal artist whose playing is distinguished by remarkable taste, tone, creative energy, and finesse. We are thinking most have heard him but if some way you've missed him you can hear him, among many other places, along with Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan, and others on Claire Lynch's Grammy nominated album North By South. The way we found out that our first mandolin was sold was when we received the following letter:

"Hey,

I'm excited to say that I bought your mandolin from George Gruhn today! George took me upstairs and we A-B'd yours with three Loars, a Monteleone, and a handful of Gilchrists. I can honestly say that I preferred the tone of the Wienman over all of them with the exception of one Loar. Even that was a close call. Unfortunately I was short $160,000.

I took the instrument home on loan last night and in the several hours that I played it dramatically opened up. The Gibson Doyle Lawson that I have played for over ten years paled in comparison when I tested the two over a high quality Flea microphone (Ricky Skaggs mandolin mic of choice). The mid-range is out of this world. Balanced, responsive, and immediate.

I have toured with Claire Lynch the past few years and will be hitting the road hard with Billy Strings next year. I don't know if you're familiar with either of these names but they're both fantastic.

With that said, I admire your work. I know a good mandolin when I play one and this one has something special. Where are you based out of? I'd love to let you know when I'm playing in your area.

Thanks,

Jarrod Walker"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wienman at Gruhns Purchased by Jarrod Walker !!

Cool.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

From Jarrod Walker - "....we A-B'd yours with three Loars, a Monteleone, and a handful of Gilchrists. I can honestly say that I preferred the tone of the Wienman over all of them with the exception of one Loar. Even that was a close call..."

I mentioned in the thread re. the Wienman mandolin that this guy could be the ''next Gilchrist''. It Looks like he's well on his way !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I mentioned in the thread re. the Wienman mandolin that this guy could be the ''next Gilchrist''. It Looks like he's well on his way !,
    Ivan
    You may be right Ivan; only time will tell I guess.
    From all I've heard and seen, the Wienman F5 is a pretty special instrument. The 'testimonial' from Jerrod Walker is certainly high praise. My only comment about Jerrod's letter is regarding this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    (Quote from Jerrod Walker)
    I took the instrument home on loan last night and in the several hours that I played it dramatically opened up...
    I know you (and a lot of us) believe in the 'opening up' phenomena. For a lot of others, I'm sure that statement calls the whole review into question.

And just for the record, I'd guess it 'woke up' rather than 'opened up'. Only time will tell.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

6. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Apart from banjos which seem to sound almost 100% right from the off,acoustic guitars & mandolins do take some time to 'come to life'. I personally think that it has a lot to do with coming up to a decent temperature. Most of us have heard the effect of low temps. on our mandolins. Mine close up & sound 'tight' when they're cold. Warm 'em up & they sound full bodied ,loud & tuneful.

I remember that shortly after buying my Weber,i'd been playing it for a couple of hours in a nice warm room & i noticed that the tone & volume had developed to an extent i'd never heard - 'opening up' - yes,but due to room temp. The same thing has happened with my Lebeda mandolin as well,& that one really does like it 'warm',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Apart from banjos which seem to sound almost 100% right from the off,acoustic guitars & mandolins do take some time to 'come to life'. I personally think that it has a lot to do with coming up to a decent temperature. Most of us have heard the effect of low temps. on our mandolins. Mine close up & sound 'tight' when they're cold. Warm 'em up & they sound full bodied ,loud & tuneful.

I remember that shortly after buying my Weber,i'd been playing it for a couple of hours in a nice warm room & i noticed that the tone & volume had developed to an extent i'd never heard - 'opening up' - yes,but due to room temp. The same thing has happened with my Lebeda mandolin as well,& that one really does like it 'warm',
    Ivan
    I open up and can play better in a warm room too !! Getting colder here in Illinois and when we leave for Arizona right after Christmas I know I will play better after arriving there !

9. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post: