Thread: Long time lurker, first time poster

Default Long time lurker, first time poster

Hey everyone!

I have been lurking here on mando cafe for a couple years but have only recently gotten serious about playing mandolin. I have been a guitar player for about 17 years and bought a used Oscar Schmidt OM-10 (for what I now understand was way too much money) a few years ago. It sat and sat and I never did much with it except learn some basic chords until I decided I would get serious about it. I have always loved the sound and have come to love playing my mandolin more than my guitar. Not a day goes by now that I don't pick up my mandolin and play for at least 30 minutes.

I am sure this has been discussed so forgive me for asking, but at what price point does an F style become worth the extra cost over an A style? I would like to upgrade to a more decent mandolin in the $1,000 range and admittedly prefer the F style aesthetics over the A but don't necessarily want to sacrifice tone and looks for over all quality.

So at the $1,000 price range am I going to be able to get an A style that is significantly better in overall quality than a F style at the same price?

Thanks for the feedback! Really looking forward to becoming part of the mandolin community!

Default Re: Long time lurker, first time poster

With a styles you'll always get more for less. However, Eastman's have a reputation for being quality mandolins up and down the line. Some 305s sound as good as 605. I'd suggest (if possible) going to a shop and playing all the 315s they have until you find the one you want. If that's not possible, I think a 315 is probably one of the better bangs for your dollar in your price range even if you are buying sight unseen.

Or you can wait for a choice deal to pop up in the classifieds.

Can anyone give their input on the KM750?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/118825#118825

3. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

If you want an F, get an F. I also second the vote for a 315. I’ve spent the last few days playing my dad’s Doyle Lawson F5, and am still happy with the Eastman. Ridiculous bang for the buck, especially if you score a used one.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

When I first picked up mandolin I had scroll envy. After realizing that I was likely to get more quality for less money in an A style, I took that route. In a very short time I came to like the simpler style of an A over a F style. Perhaps, I tricked my mind into believing I now like the looks of an A style better. Perhaps not, I don't really know. But I do know that when I pick up an F style I get the feeling it is a more delicate instrument that I am much more likely to break with the fancy head stock, scroll, points and more stuck all over it. Perhaps my mind has tricked me again.
    Whatever you choose, you will have time to reevaluate when MAS sets in and you are ready to buy again.
    Good luck in your adventure.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

There are always those who will tell you to spend a little more. I'm one of them. At $1200-1400, a whole world of very nice A styles will open up to you. I'm talking used. Check out the Cafe classifieds daily. $1000 will get you a nice Kentucky (900 or higher).

Double your budget for the equivalent F style. Just way it is.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have been a guitar player for over 40 years and have had an inexpensive mando for several years, but didn't get beyond the basics because I would put it down and get to playing guitar so much I would almost have to start over again when I would pick the mando up again.

One month ago, I finally upgraded my mando and like you planned on about $1k. I looked online to get a feel for what was available in that range since the closest store with any kind of mando selection is over an hour away. I ended up getting a good deal on an Eastman 615 at Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg, VA for around $1,250. So, I ended up stretching a bit on the budget, but am happy I did.

Now, I split my playing time between my Martin D35 and my Eastman 615 and I am getting much better quickly.

By the way, this is my first post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk914 View Post

I am sure this has been discussed so forgive me for asking, but at what price point does an F style become worth the extra cost over an A style? I would like to upgrade to a more decent mandolin in the $1,000 range and admittedly prefer the F style aesthetics over the A but don't necessarily want to sacrifice tone and looks for over all quality.

So at the $1,000 price range am I going to be able to get an A style that is significantly better in overall quality than a F style at the same price?
    I can't answer that.

But I can suggest that archtop mandolins are not the ONLY mandolin and perhaps you might try other style instruments too. There are lots of great values out there in bowl and flatback mandolins, many of them vintage.

Just a thought for a new mandolin player - and welcome to the group.

Yep I like the looks of an F style mandolin, but for comfort of playing give me an A. I feel the balance is better, it doesn't have the annoying point that dictates where you have to put it when you are sitting, and I can get a much better instrument for the same money. I am sure you will get many responses for both sides of this story.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!