Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomastik Infeld Strings

Default Thomastik Infeld Strings

I think I spelled that right, right? I tried them some years ago, and I thought them to be a rather muted string, but they had a TERRIFIC reputation.

Me personally........I've migrated to D'Addario's over the years, for ALL my stringed instruments. They seem to hold up fairly well, once broken in.

Not only that, but the Thomastik Infelds were expensive, as I recall. Anyone have any thoughts?????

Default Re: Thomastik Infeld Strings

I tried them a few years ago on my Weber Yellowstone, sounded OK. but too expensive.

I now use strings from Mapes. They have been making musical wire for over 100 years. Good stuff.

Never heard of "Mapes." I'll investigate? Are they hard to find?????

I bought a couple of sets many years ago. Sounded OK, as I recall. I do not remember what mandolin I had back then, probably a Kentucky F 700 or the Ibanez red Jethro, but they both were quiet mandolins. What I do remember is breaking that wound A string. I always remembered the silky feel and eventually bought d’Addario FW74s. Forever is a long time, but I really feel that the string search is over for me. Use them on an A4 and an F5.
    Mike Snyder

I tried them a few years ago on my Kentucky KM630s(it’s already not a loud mandolin), and it was noticeably quieter than with Elixir Nanowebs, but it sounded decent. It played really nice tho with the flatwound surface tho, just wish they would’ve been louder.
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Played a friend's National Resophonic RM-1 last night, with Thomastiks fitted. Sublime feel and tone. I've no idea if they are quieter than other brands, but on the booming Resophonic, volume is never going to be a problem.

Yeah, that was one thing about the Thomastik Infelds.....they were/are a round-wound string......easier on the fingers. They WERE, however........more muted.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupy1957 View Post
    Yeah, that was one thing about the Thomastik Infelds.....they were/are a round-wound string......easier on the fingers. They WERE, however........more muted.
    Nah, the Thomastik strings we use on mandolin are usually flatwound. Elderly has them among others. Close to $50 per set. They are made like violin strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	154k.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	163183
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Yep, you're right.........now that I think of it...........flat wound! I first heard about them from a Cello player, who said they were quite commonly used in professional musician circles in Symphonies.

I think TI's are AMAZING strings ...AND if money was no object at all, hey I'd use them often! Every set I've tried has exuded quality and maybe they are worth the price of admission...but with as many stringed instruments as I need to put strings on etc. no dice.

D'Addario just makes great stuff; maybe a bit general purpose but that is what fits the bill most the time...carry on....:-)

12. The following members say thank you to RFMando for this post:

I used to love them, but the price has just got too steep for me, now an FW74 convert: the same feel as the TI's but a brighter louder tone.

Your D’Addrios are probably wound around Mapes, they make the core for most string companies. 50 years ago as I was a fairly new musician your string choices were Gibson, Martin, Black Diamond or Mapes. Today I think the only place to buy Mapes is from them. I go to their web site and order what I want. Different mandolins like different strings but Mapes make a variety that seems to suit each one.

try Pyramid

I used to love experimenting with strings, but it sure is nice to be able to walk into the local store and buy what I want.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I really like TI's. In fact, they are all I use. YMMV, that's why the are so many brands and types. As for me, I'm sticking with them.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I've used them (154st) on various mandolins for years. I love them! That said, I also love the EXP74CM! They're different though!

I'm currently thinking of using the CM's on all my mandolins just to revisit how they all sound different.

After all, it is a hobby, eh?

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Here you go, Soup.

Welcome back. Long time, no see!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

The player you mentioned elsewhere you liked, Anthony Hannigan, swore by TIs when I met him. He is an amazing grasser, too. He never seemed to suffer from muted tone or lack of volume.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've mentioned it before: I have exclusively used TI flatwounds on my mandolin, mandola and mandocello (all vintage Gibsons) for several decades. That's the strongest recommendation I can give.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I've mentioned it before: I have exclusively used TI flatwounds on my mandolin, mandola and mandocello (all vintage Gibsons) for several decades. That's the strongest recommendation I can give.
    This is the kind of endorsement that I ran into before. The cost, expensive; but the string.........great!! Muted? Yes, somewhat, but that is likely preferred in some applications.
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post

Do you use Middle or Stark on your mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
    Do you use Middle or Stark on your mandolin?
    I use the mittle (medium) on a 1906 Gibson 3-point.

How long do they last? I'd happily pay the price if it meant significantly fewer string changes.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

TIs are wonderful strings, and while expensive, they do last much longer than phosphor bronze strings. I will go months between string changes.
    They are often favored by classical musicians (particularly German mandolinists) who prefer their tone quality, lack of string noise, and silky feel.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

I may try a set. I'm only getting about two months out of the phosphor bronze I have been using, and I don't love changing them. They would have to last a year and a half or so to come out even financially.