Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stroh Guitar, ukulele. Gramophone-Horn- Resonator

Default Stroh Guitar, ukulele. Gramophone-Horn- Resonator

Ever since I saw a ONE string Stroh violin at Larch Street music in Bogota NJ I've been fascinated.
    I've done some online poking and found that they made these around the turn of last century to project louder than a normal acoustic.

Looks like they made a few stroh mandolins.
    Why not a guitar or a tenor guitar.

The idea is that the bridge connects to a gramophone type soundbox essentially providing the vibration instead of the needle in the record's grooves. Then to a horn to amplify.

Also, there is a video of a guy who made one recently out of a ukulele and an old bugle.
    He shows some detailed shots halfway through

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strohuke15.jpg 
Views:	935 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	163103

Name:	strohuke.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	163104

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Stroh Guitar, ukulele. Gramophone-Horn- Resonator

Fascinating. Not sure I understand the acoustics of this, though. Is there some sort of diaphragm that vibrates on these?
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

They do have a small resonator/diaphragm. They originate from Romania, and there are called trumpet violins. They're made in many of the villages, apparently, and have been around for quite some time. The Strohs were single-string things, but the true ones are full four-string things. Get one and you can sound just like this:

4. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    They do have a small resonator/diaphragm. They originate from Romania, and there are called trumpet violins. They're made in many of the villages, apparently, and have been around for quite some time. The Strohs were single-string things, but the true ones are full four-string things. Get one and you can sound just like this:
    I have 4-string Strohviol and they were invented around 1899 by John Augustus Matthias Stroh in London. I believe he came first and the Romanians copied them and adapted them to their music. These are all using the acoustic phonograph technology and are generically called phonofiddles.

Yes, Stroh made a single string called the Jap-fiddle but his shop also made a violin, viola, cello, Hawaiian guitars (as shown in this page from the Acuff collection book) as well as ukulele, mandolin, Spanish guitar and bass. Check out a whole museum page with photos of all the variants at Springers/Pamela's Music. The mandolin has to be super-rare.

Name:	stroh02.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	163113 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stroh_acuff.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	163114 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102-stroh-mandolin-a.jpg 
Views:	1982 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	163115

Last edited by Jim Garber; Dec-13-2017 at 11:26pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

They were very useful in the early days of acoustic recording onto cylinder or disc. The early recording equipment was very limited in frequency range, essentially from around 500hz to 1500hz and the Stroh instruments put out most their sound energy in that frequency band, mainly because they were using the same horn and vibrating diaphragm technology as the recording equipment. Here is a friend, Marcus Holden, recording a wax cylinder in 2014 with my then work colleague Gerry O'Neill driving an Edison Standard D cylinder player/recorder. I was doing a very good job of supervising.

Name:	stroh.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	163117

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

billhay4Fire 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Very steampunk. At last an instrument that has a whisky still attached to it - does it get any better?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

10. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Fire 

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I think someone was drinking too much Stroh's Beer when they invented that.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

My ears!! OUCH!!

This is more pleasing.

It basically works like an old gramophone or Victrola. But instead of the needle vibrating in the groove of the record it is vibrated by the bridge.
    The bridge basically connects a pin the is anchored to the center of the plastic or celluloid disc inside the round chamber. The other side connects to a horn for amplification.

Name:	Stroh sound box.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	163154

This is what the inside of it looks like for a Victrola

Name:	dia-5-exhib.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	745.9 KB 
ID:	163155

Here is a page that delves into the concept.
    https://www.antiquephono.org/sound-s...d-r-j-wakeman/

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fire View Post
    My ears!! OUCH!!

This is more pleasing.
    This is a modern replica sold by Lark in the Morning, a west coast US store. You can see the maker's initials, "KL" on the resonator. There was one in auction here. I am not sure if that is why it sounds more pleasing or possibly that that second fiddler has a better sense of tone control.

Name:	larkinam_stroh.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	163158 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	944623_view 02_02.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	163159

On a few of Tom Waits' CDs he has a woman who sounds like a classical player playing a Stroh and it has a very haunting horn-like sound. My sounds like a violin with nasal congestion.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Fire 

Also, there is a video of a guy who made one recently out of a ukulele and an old bugle.
    He shows some detailed shots halfway through

Name:	strohuke15.jpg 
Views:	935 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	163103

Name:	strohuke.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	163104

That's my friend Clifford! I've played this uke and it sounds pretty good, somewhat like a resonator instrument but with added madness

He used an old gramophine soundbox and then reworked the bugle around it. From memory he made a through neck (as it were) to attach all the bits to.

19. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Fire 

Small world.
    I would love a classical guitar made out of a french horn or something in between that and a tuba. What's that called a euphonium?
    But, it would have to be a beater I could bring to my buddy's week long lakeside bacchanal.
    I must admit I am not at a point in my life where I could devote endless hours to this, but I could re-purpose something.
    Maybe a solid body electric classical or one of those useless silent travel guitars.
    This is just a crappy mock up.

Name:	tub guitar.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	163169

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    That's my friend Clifford! I've played this uke and it sounds pretty good, somewhat like a resonator instrument but with added madness

He used an old gramophine soundbox and then reworked the bugle around it. From memory he made a through neck (as it were) to attach all the bits to.
    Can you ask him to post some close up pics of how he attached the bridge to the sound box to the horn?

I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am not sure if that is why it sounds more pleasing or possibly that that second fiddler has a better sense of tone control.
    It looks like the modern Lark phonofiddle has a slightly larger resonator. Interesting. I've wanted to buy one of these from Lark In The Morning since I first saw them in the catalog about fifteen years ago.

Name:	9E770520-309A-4917-B924-DABB18F6EA8E.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	649.3 KB 
ID:	163192
    Small world.
    I would love a classical guitar made out of a french horn or something in between that and a tuba. What's that called a euphonium?
    But, it would have to be a beater I could bring to my buddy's week long lakeside bacchanal. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E770520-309A-4917-B924-DABB18F6EA8E.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	649.3 KB 
ID:	163192
    I must admit I am not at a point in my life where I could devote endless hours to this, but I could re-purpose something.
    Maybe a solid body electric classical or one of those useless silent travel guitars.
    This is just a crappy mock up.

Name:	tub guitar.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	163169
    Could you use one of these?

I think I could definitely use one of them.
    I don't know brass names.
    What is the one next to the tuba called?
    That's the one I think would be the right size.

The large horn is a baritone. The one next to it is called an Alto Horn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This is a modern replica sold by Lark in the Morning, a west coast US store. You can see the maker's initials, "KL" on the resonator. There was one in auction here. I am not sure if that is why it sounds more pleasing or possibly that that second fiddler has a better sense of tone control.
    It looks like he's playing in a location with good acoustics, which likely compensates the sound quality more than a little.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

Here's the Stroh Violin sold by Lark in the Morning.

The one in this video (on the Lark site) sounds closer to mine with its nasal sound tho that sound clip linked below it sounds really nasal:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Name:	grinch-instrument1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	163239

Very Dr. Suess.

Blog Entries

Most of this info is already covered.. but
    I have two Trumpet Violins . Both are from Romania. We use them for some tunes in our klezmer band. They sound, on a good day... like a Victrola and they often sound harsh and loud. The sound comes out the trumpet and the player does not hear how loud the thing is. We have fun pointing them at each other, ha, ha.

There are whole festivals held outdoors in Romania all with trumpet violins, violas and cellos. I can imagine the sound of dozens of these things playing together. Yikes.

Somewhere there is a photo of the New York Philharmonic playing these things and recording into a wax cylinder machine.

Violins did not record very well on wax cylinder machines, and once the microphone was invented the instruments were no longer needed. I think Stroh invented the instrument in order to record violins.

Many folk players got them because they were cheap and sturdy. Julia Clifford from Ireland is in a well known photo playing her Stroh violin with her brother Dennis Murphy.

We have a track on our CD with a Stroh violin. I'll see if I can get a clip. Yes. Track 12 Hassidic Wedding Dances. https://eisnersklezmorim.com/our-music-cd

There is more about the instruments on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh_violin

Last edited by DougC; Dec-19-2017 at 1:40pm.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

31. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Credit where credit is due:
    The transducer that converts diaphragm vibration to sound waves in air goes back to Edison, I believe. The diaphragm of the "reproducer" that is linked to the needle of a (non-electric) Victrola phonograph stems from his patent from around 1877. The idea must have passed from Edison to Stroh to Dopyera, where it persists to this day in Nationals and Dobros.

This photo shows the scheme:

Name:	RecordNeedleDiaphragm400h.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	163253

Clifford is a little busy at present but has sent me a couple of photos of the gramophone uke soundbox. Here is his explanation of how it works:

"In the photos you can see how the aluminium saddle, which is like a short, fat, 'T' shape, is 'floating' in the bed of silicone contained in the modified valve body (the bridge). The upright of this 'T' extends through the underside of the bridge and bears on the needle-holder clamp of the soundbox, which I modified to include an adjusting screw so that the soundbox diaphragm could be very gently 'pre-stressed', but only after the strings had been brought up to tension. The soundbox is mounted on a brass adaptor ring I machined to suit the 'input-stage' of the horn amplifier."

Name:	Soundbox2 copy 2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	163283

Name:	Soundbox copy 2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	538.2 KB 
ID:	163284

To the engineers among you, that's probably all you need to know to build one. To the rest of us, it clearly says "find an engineer"!

Blog Entries

This is a variation, and a clever one, of the trumpet violin mechanics.

The trumpet violins have a little rod that sits under the foot of the bridge. It vibrates the disk.

This design vibrates from the middle of the bridge by 'floating' in the silicone.

I'm impressed with the overall strength of the tube structure.

And look at thoes strings! Graphite strings, my guess. Pretty expensive stuff.

Name:	Soundbox2 copy 2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	163283

Name:	Soundbox copy 2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	538.2 KB 
ID:	163284