Thread: Fret saws

Default Fret saws

What is the width on fret saws .23 ? Where is the best place to obtain one?

Default Re: Fret saws

The kerf on Stewart MacDonald's fret saw is 0.23" I have seen 021" also.

I like my slots to be 0.024”. I bought one of Stew-Mac’s saws many years ago, and it had no set and was difficulty to use. They may have changed them since then. I later had a Japanese-style one (LMI?) that worked much better. If you’re going to be making many fretboards a tablesaw will save a lot of time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amowry For This Useful Post:

You can measure the tang on your fretwire and have a saw filter adjust the kerf on your saw to be slightly smaller, to get a good, snug fit.

If you can find a good saw shop.

It helped being in the trade to find people.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Adrian Minarovic

I've got LMII fretsaw and has no kerf (there ws a hint of kerf when new but after few boards it's completely flat) and the 0.023 slot is a bit tighter than I like as well. I resharpen before each two boards and cut relatively shallow slots which helps. I file the fret tangs a bit to make frets easier to seat.
    Adrian

Like Andrew, I do best with .024" fret slots. I also bought one of the older Stewmac hand saws, and it had no set, and it was nearly impossible to use. I added set to the saw, resharpened and jointed it, and it has been a fine dovetail saw ever since, but it was never a good fret slotting saw.
    I moved on to the Stewmac table saw blade, there was no set to the teeth, and the kerf was too small, so I added a little bit of set to the teeth and got it cutting .024" slots.
    Kind of looks like a pattern to me. If I want something specific (like a .024" slot), I have to modify (or make) a tool to get what I want. It seems I can't just buy a tool and expect it to work perfectly for my purposes.

8. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I also had an early StuMac fret slotting saw that promptly went to the circular file.
    I use a small screw slotting circular blade (available from McMaster Carr) fitted to a small sliding mitre saw that I adapted for that use. It's cut hundreds of slots and I wouldn't improve anything about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3035-14936132262015.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	163160
    rudy44

10. The following members say thank you to rudy44 for this post:

fox 

The Stew-Mac Japanese fret slotting saw is a great saw for cutting fret slots or any other backsaw-type duties.

varies, typically .020 to .024 and sizes between. the common slot width is .022, and i have tools that will increase or decrease the fret tang, for a custom fit to an existing fretboard tang slot.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

There is a new-to-me saw company l learned about from Highland Hardware: Bad Axe Tool Works. They are expensive, but they are a saw company and offer tune-up and repair to their saws and others.

nfi for either company

14. The following members say thank you to Eric Oliver for this post:

Nevin 

Thanks for all the help guys

FIRST, it's important to understand terms. "Kerf" is the slot a saw makes. "Kerfing" is a corruption of that term, used by our crowd as applied to "kerfed linings," typical of factory made 20th century guitars.

It is easy, almost to the point of being a "no-brainer" to adjust the kerf of a handsaw, by rubbing same against a carborundum stone, or other flat abrasive, thereby reducing the "SET" or offset of the saw teeth that allows cutting without binding as the saw cuts deeper. It's a perfectly reasonably process to make a hand saw cut a narrower kerf, and one that doesn't cause much trouble for fret saws because the cut is so shallow. As with any hand sawing, a bit of paraffin lubrication (i.e. an old candle rubbed against the saw teeth at each cut) makes the job go much more easily.

Same thing goes for circular saws. . .

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Ford For This Useful Post: