Thread: Accidentally Hitting Extra String(s) during Tremolo

Default Accidentally Hitting Extra String(s) during Tremolo

I find when I get up to a certain speed for tremolos I can’t help but accidentally brush the string above or below the one I’m aiming for. Is this something inevitable with Tremolo or something I’ll have to work harder to stop doing? Thanks guys.

Default Re: Accidentally Hitting Extra String(s) during Tremolo

You have to work to not do it. It takes more practice and control.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

This should improve over time. With tremolo, I try not to let the pick lose contact with the string. Keeping the grip relaxed is essential to getting a clean, tight tremolo. Also, realize that tremolo is something you never stop working on. I've heard a few pros express unhappiness with the sound of their own tremolo.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jarednye View Post
    I find when I get up to a certain speed for tremolos I can’t help but accidentally brush the string above or below the one I’m aiming for. Is this something inevitable with Tremolo or something I’ll have to work harder to stop doing? Thanks guys.
    IMO - and only stating my own opinion here: No, no, no ... don't work harder. Just keep playing, and pay close attention to dadsaster's advice. "Keeping the grip relaxed is essential"

Yes, you should "work" on your technique, but don't think of working hard. Just work on getting better, and your accuracy and control will get better with time. There is usually no magic, overnight cure for technical issues that can be had by working harder. Think about improving your technique. Experiment with left hand position and practice good technique in that. Think about economy of left hand fingering and practice good technique in that.

Think about overall right hand technique, including your tremolo, experiment and practice getting better. Over time your control will continue to develop in a very fine manner. Anyway, that's what I believe.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

You could use that as a shortcut to the ever-marvelled-at doublestop tremolo. You just have to stop the correct frets on the adjacent courses
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Here's Mike Marshall's ideas about tremolo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7vqNh5k96o
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I find when I get up to a certain speed for tremolos I can’t help but accidentally brush the string above or below the one I’m aiming for....
    Actually you CAN help it.
    My story is going to a workshop with Alan Bibey many years ago where we had a little one-on-one time to ask questions. I told him that when I played 'Blackberry Blossom' I always went too far and hit the next string with my pick which make the music sound messy.
    He said, "Don't move your pick that far."
    Well,..... I thought he was just joking with me, but after going home, thinking about it, and trying his suggestions, I found that he had given me some of the best advice I had ever gotten.

If we stop and figure out exactly what it is that is messing us up, we can change that one little thing, and it makes a surprising difference. The hard part is actually stopping and THINKING about what the basic problem is!!
    Sometimes a fresh eye helps.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Phil,

That sounds like something Alan would say - haha. He and Butch B. have/had the same advice - clean technique is king!

Why don't you plan on coming down to Myrtle Beach for the 3rd Annual Alan Bibey Mandolin Camp next August. He is having Emory Lester as instructor and another mando cat (TBA) who we all know and love. There, you can pick up other choice pearls of wisdom in person from one of cleanest and most musical cats to ever pack a pick.

9. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Technique ..... your angle of attack , angle of the pick when it plucks the string, angle you are holding the instrument, control of how much your wrist is moving, avoiding tensing up and putting and all of the above together at the same time....... practice and patience .... go at it slow to become fast ...... Cross picking and tremolo are each difficult but require much of the same skill set ... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...