Thread: 50s Gretsch Stradolin?

Default 50s Gretsch Stradolin?

I saw this 50s Gretsch Stradolin for sale on Craigslist (https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...423470120.html). I can get it for about $75, maybe even less . But I can not find any information about it other then it's a 50s stradolion. I found that out here: http://gretsch.forumactif.com/t735-gretsch-mandolin. But that is literally all it says. Does anyone know anything about these? I this a steal or a piece of junk? Thank you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: 50s Gretsch Stradolin?

Well the old scalloped Waverly tailpiece assembly/cover is worth at least 50-75 bucks!

Decent deal for 75$, less would be even better I'd say. Looks to be in good condition, can't tell how the action is but that can always be adjusted. I'd get it if I were local and had 75$ to burn, it would make a nice old beater mandolin at worst.

It is a Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin. All the parts look original. The one in the second link is not all original. Proof again that Gretsch outsourced those mandolins to different companies. There is also a Harmony and a Kay built Gretsch labeled mandolin on that second site.

If you can get it that cheap buy it. It's worth much more.

Now, if you're looking for the Strad-O-Lin genre deal of the year it's right here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Some of those Stradolins are pretty decent toned! I've recently seen some "Fancy" Strads on here and on reverb with KILLER wood selection!, I didn't know they had higher end mandolins with some gorgeous flamed maple backs/great looking finish that rival some I've seen that have come from the big G company outa Kalamazoo!

I use a Strad-o-lin as my main mandolin, it's a fairly humble classic looking one but has a lot of character. The neck is just the right size and shape for me. I think Strad-o-lins make a nice alternate route to the standard Kentucky/Eastman/The Loar lower priced starter suggestions.

8. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

JRG 

I going to go try and check it out this weekend. How can I tell if it's solid or laminate? I know on a guitar you see if the grain pattern is the same outside and inside. But since you can't really see inside a mandoline how can you tell?

You can still sort of tell by looking at the top's cross section at the F holes, if it's laminate you'll see the different layers. Sometimes though it can be painted/stained etc to make it difficult to tell that way.

At that age I seriously doubt you would find one of these that was laminated but anything is possible I guess. Now that you've let 10,000 of your closest friends know where it is don't be surprised if it's gone three days from now.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yeah, I hesitated asking for a while because of that. I am going to check it out this weekend so hopefully if someone is considering doing that they will be courteous and wait until Monday

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    At that age I seriously doubt you would find one of these that was laminated but anything is possible I guess. Now that you've let 10,000 of your closest friends know where it is don't be surprised if it's gone three days from now.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

How can I tell if it's solid or laminate? I know on a guitar you see if the grain pattern is the same outside and inside. But since you can't really see inside a mandoline how can you tell?
    Look at the edge of the f-hole cut outs, that might give you a clue as to the top construction. For $75 (or less) I'd still buy it even if it's laminated. It's worth that as a conversation piece. But don't worry, I'm not local.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Unfortunately, it turned out to be in pretty bad condition. So I passed.

That's a shame. It can be tough to determine condition from pictures alone. Was it more of a playability problem or fit and finish?