Thread: Kentucky KM-150

Default Kentucky KM-150

Are there any beginner mando players who are using the KM-150 to learn on??

Default Re: Kentucky KM-150

I wish I had learned on a KM-150! I have been playing for 6 or 7 years (still a beginner in many respects) and I have owned a bunch of mandolins, but right now my only mandolin is a well set up KM-150. I’ve got a tone guard, a Lakota strap, use a Blue Chip TAD 50 with no bevel, and it makes me happy every time I pick it up. But the set up is really the key. The intonation is great up and down the neck and it is playable everywhere on the fingerboard, but it certainly did not come that way right out of the box.

Are you thinking about buying one, or do you already have one?

Quote Originally Posted by kybred View Post
    Are there any beginner mando players who are using the KM-150 to learn on??
    Although I've moved on now, I can't say enough about the KM150 as a starter mandolin. It is a great instrument, entirely gig worthy and a pleasure to play. Can't recommend it strongly enough!

4. The following members say thank you to hucklebilly for this post:

A KM-150 was my first mandolin, given to me as a birthday present by my wife. It was not only a great instrument to learn on, but a very effective gateway to complete addiction.

Looks like your first post. Welcome.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Welcome kybred!

The Kentucky 150 is a great instrument to learn on. There are many, many threads about that on this site. If you buy one, I suggest buying from a shop that will do a good setup for you before you get your new mandolin. There are several here, like The Mandoling Store and Folkmusician (among others) who will do that for you. Good luck!

7. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

The KM-150 is my first mandolin and I'm still playing it everyday after 4 years. I have played a ton of mandolins in the KM-150 price range and none of them sound as good. The only thing I notice when I try out these other brands is the neck seems a little nicer to grasp and in some respects play, but none of them compare to the KM-150 when it comes to sound. The KM-150 has a nice bark when playing chop chords, and a wonderful bright sound when playing melodies, or individual notes. Just make sure you purchase it from one of the dealers who support this site. You are guaranteed to get a nice setup which is what will make your KM-150 sound the best it possibly can. For a first instrument you will not be disappointed, and you will definitely grow into it.

9. The following members say thank you to MandoliNV for this post:

Blog Entries

The recent KM150's I've seen have all been very good indeed. All you need is a great sounding student instrument.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thanks for your input on the KM-150. Yes, I’m currently waiting for mine that I ordered from Easterly and jumping up and down like a 4-yr old at Christmas!! 🤶🏻I’m 73

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kybred For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much...thus far every review I’ve read are positives!

Yes, I’m new kid on the block! Thanks for the welcome. I’m exploring new turf and marking off a ‘bucket list’ item, chopping at the bit to get started on such a beautiful sounding instrument...hope I can do it justice before I leave this earth, 73 years young now, don’t have time to waste!

I’ve got one ordered from Elderly, can’t wait to get it and they run it thru their shop of professionals for a thorough setup. Thanks for the advice!

oops I meant Elderly Instruments

I predict you'll have a post count rivaling JeffD's in no time!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

18. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I too bought one to start learning again. I gave up the first time. It sounds so good. Go to you tube and listen to Brian play one and then some really expensive ones on The Mandolin Store website, I think you will really be surprised.

Will do! Thanks!

Kybred, welcome to the insanity that is the mandolin and this community that is a wealth of good info. I’m an old f@#t too at 71. Been at it a while. Have fun with the km150. My brother in law has one (also from TMS) and it plays and sounds really good.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Beginner here and I use a Kentucky KM-150S, I love it! I am always getting compliments on the tone & bark of the Mandolin from other Mandolin players themselves.

KM-150 owner here. I still am surprised how well my Kentucky sounds even against much more expensive instruments. I thought that I had maybe gotten a really good one but I've yet to hear a bad one. It will serve you well.

Thanks Mike!! Glad to have found this forum to guide me theu the insanity😁

Thanks guys for the confirmation of the KM-150 being a good choice fir a beginner! Hope I can bring out some sweet sounds too!!

Well I’ve received my new Kentucky KM-150 and what a beautiful sound it has after being professionally ‘setup’. I’ve started teaching myself chords from some of the Youtube videos and chord books I have for beginners. Is this the progression level I should stay on, teaching myself chords and getting my fingers comfortable with fretting? I have the opportunity to take lessons from Laura Cauble with the New Hwy 17 Soth Bluegrass Band here in Calabash, NC., so hopefully she too can mentor me and keep me on track. Any game plan any of you used as learning beginners I would appreciate knowing. Also, on an A model, where/how are you placing a strap or are you using a strap for your A model mandolin? Thanks ...I value your comments.