Thread: The back. Two piece or one?

Default The back. Two piece or one?

Can someone give me an overview on the difference between a mandolin with a two piece back vs. a one piece? Other than the appearance, is there much to discern in the sound? In the strength of the instrument? What's the deal? (sorry if this question's been posted before).
    "No animal, according to the rules of animal-etiquette, is ever expected to do anything strenuous, or heroic, or even moderately active during the off-season of winter." Kenneth Grahame

Default Re: The back. Two piece or one?

Purely aesthetics. It makes absolutely no difference in the sound or anything else.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

As long as the seam on the 2 piece is glued correctly, there is really no difference, though it certainly takes a larger piece of good wood to make the 1 piece back, so it can be a bit more expensive. There are some really beautiful 1 piece backs with birds eye maple or quilted maple. And some gorgeous 2 piece backs with intricate book matched patterns. On cheaper instruments, you might often find that the 2 pieces of wood used to make the back are not a matched set, but that shouldn't affect the sound much either, unless they are really poorly mismatched.

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

akjed 

One less glue joint that can come apart 80 years later.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    As long as the seam on the 2 piece is glued correctly, there is really no difference, though it certainly takes a larger piece of good wood to make the 1 piece back, so it can be a bit more expensive. There are some really beautiful 1 piece backs with birds eye maple or quilted maple. And some gorgeous 2 piece backs with intricate book matched patterns. On cheaper instruments, you might often find that the 2 pieces of wood used to make the back are not a matched set, but that shouldn't affect the sound much either, unless they are really poorly mismatched.
    Actually, some expensive "premier dvision" instruments have slip matched backs. Gilchrists for instance. Some Loar mandolins have slip matched backs. Slip matching is when the two halves are clearly from the same board or log, but are not book matched.

Most of my backs are slip matched. If you buy your maple from a tonewood dealer, they are often "book matched" although much of the matching may vanish during the carving process. I bought most of my maple from regular timber dealers, and book matching wasn't an option, so they are slip matched.

This back is slip matched:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celtic-F-mandolin-rear-view.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	163064

Name:	Forster-Celtic-F-mandolin-maple-back.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	163065

This one too:

Name:	O-celtic-mandolin-4.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	163066

And this one:

Name:	mandolin2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	163067

In the violin world 1 piece backs are sometimes associated with amatuer work - by using a one piece, the maker can avoid shooting the joint. It's more of a skill issue than a time one. I've made a few one piece back mandolins and I like the look.

Nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/mandolin/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Nigel, nice looking mandolin. I have never seen ribs that extend past the neck joint. How did you set that neck?

As to the OP's question, I agree that there is no difference in sound between a two piece and a one piece back. It is a mater of personal taste and what wood one might have in their stash.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Nigel, nice looking mandolin. I have never seen ribs that extend past the neck joint. How did you set that neck?.
    It's the neck joint I was taught by my old boss, Stefan Sobell. Well, it looks the same, the construction is a little different. The sides are glued to the side of the neck, that's all there is to it. You just have to make sure the neck is at the right angle and pointing down the centre line. It's very strong. I've never known one move.

Here is an OM version:

Name:	maple-irish-bouzouki-.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	163070

Name:	Irish-bouzouki-neck.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	560.9 KB 
ID:	163071

http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/mandolin/

12. The following members say thank you to nkforster for this post:

No butt cracks on my mandolin backs !!

Nigel, On that last photo wouldn`t installing the strap button on a two piece neck cause the glue joint to maybe separate?

BTW.. I love that design with the sides being glued to the fingerboard, looks great...

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Nigel, On that last photo wouldn`t installing the strap button on a two piece neck cause the glue joint to maybe separate?

BTW.. I love that design with the sides being glued to the fingerboard, looks great...

Willie
    No. It's a screw, not a nail. And to be honest, if you try to drill a hole directly on that join your drill bit will always go to one side. The black fibre is much tougther than maple. You'd never see it, but it's slightly to one side.

Rarely gets mentioned in these posts but one difference in most cases is that 2 piece is most often a quartersawn split billet while in most cases a 1 piece will be flatsawn. I'm making no case about one being superior or giving a different tone.
    There is a Nugget mandola out there that has an 11"+ amazing quartered 1 piece so its possible but you need a good sized tree thats properly cut.

Blog Entries

I've always thought practical on this I think. To me it would be easier for the builder to build using one piece in stead of two. Again this could be a dumb comment. I do love the look of a two piece when they are matched up together with that said the builders I've worked with through the years (Audey Ratliff) will tell you I always go one piece. Certainly aesthetics and I've never heard a sound difference between the two.

I have a couple of mandolins with one-piece backs, a couple with two-piece backs and all I know is Nigel makes some gorgeous instruments.

Book matched is Pretty..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've been reading about violin construction lately. The verdict: absolutely no difference whatsoever between 1 and 2 piece.
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings