Thread: Pava A sound

Default Pava A sound

To all the Pava folks. Is a Pava A model suitable for bluegrass? Does it have a good bark? Does it have a lot of volume ?

Default Re: Pava A sound

I shouldn't be posting I suppose as I have not played a Pava but, anything that comes out of the Tom Ellis workshop will be great ! Everything I have heard from Pava owners/players would definitely satisfy your Bluegrass playing in terms of bark and volume !

I have one and I have not had a problem being heard in a large bluegrass jam. I have a RL Givens mandolin as well that is louder than the Pava, but the Pava has plenty of volume and can be driven hard without the sound breaking down and sounding too harsh. It also has a great chop for bluegrass rhythm. The sound is less dry than a Gibson, more modern with strong bottom end and lots of chime and overtones. The comfort and playability is top notch. I enjoy mine and find it very versatile for many styles from bluegrass to jazz. Some of my other mandolins sound better for old time music, but I really enjoy bluegrass on my Pava.

4. The following members say thank you to Victor Daniel for this post:

Cathy 

Quote Originally Posted by victor daniel View Post
    i have one and i have not had a problem being heard in a large bluegrass jam. I have a rl givens mandolin as well that is louder than the pava, but the pava has plenty of volume and can be driven hard without the sound breaking down and sounding too harsh. It also has a great chop for bluegrass rhythm. The sound is less dry than a gibson, more modern with strong bottom end and lots of chime and overtones. The comfort and playability is top notch. I enjoy mine and find it very versatile for many styles from bluegrass to jazz. Some of my other mandolins sound better for old time music, but i really enjoy bluegrass on my pava.
    there you go !

I asked my Pava if it was suitable for bluegrass.

She said that she was up for anything that I had the talent to ask her to do.

7. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

Absolutely. Though you may get some funny looks just for bringing any A mandolin to a bluegrass jam. They won't last long.

And it will do bluegrass and a WHOLE lot more!

The Pava A model mandolins hold their own in any situation. Don't let pre conceived notions spoil a good time. I have used them on stage and in jams with great results. Check out the many Nate Lee videos on You tube for more information and confidence. He uses both the Pava A's and F's. Impressive! Happy picking.
    Steve Smith

10. The following members say thank you to desertnight for this post:

Cathy 

The Pava mandolins (all A style) that I've played are more than up to the task. Very well made, great sounding instruments that only get better the more you bang on them.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Daniel View Post
    the Pava has plenty of volume and can be driven hard without the sound breaking down and sounding too harsh. It also has a great chop for bluegrass rhythm. The sound is less dry than a Gibson, more modern with strong bottom end and lots of chime and overtones. The comfort and playability is top notch. I enjoy mine and find it very versatile for many styles from bluegrass to jazz. Some of my other mandolins sound better for old time music, but I really enjoy bluegrass on my Pava.
    Could not have said it better.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8