Thread: Trying to find information for a friend.

Question Trying to find information for a friend.

This belongs to a friend and he's considering selling it, but if so, where do you suggest is a good place? How would we find the value of it? It was played on a radio show way back before it was given to my friend. It's former owner also played in clubs and bars back then. My friend was about 13 when it was given to him. It had the neck broken in a bar fight he was told, and was repaired. My friend is 75 now and is very curious about it. It was given to a friend when he was a child. The person who gave it to him played it on a radio show KLPM in Minot ND back then. He is 75 yrs old now. Guy had it for years and his name was Pappy Gibbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson 2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	162985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson 3.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	162986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson 5.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	162987  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson 7.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	162988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson4.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	162989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	162990  

Name:	gibson 10.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	162991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	162992  

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Trying to find information for a friend.

That is a Gibson F-4 mandolin made in the year 1921.
    The black top finish is an anomaly for an F-4 made in that year, and may not be original.
    Unfortunately, the repaired break in the neck devalues it by 50%. The mandolin is worth under $3000, quite a bit less if the top finish is not original.

The owner's best bet on selling it is to consign it with a reputable vintage instrument dealer such as Gruhn Guitars [Nashville], Gryphon Stringed Instruments [Palo Alto, CA], or Fred Oster's Vintage Instruments [Philadelphia]. These dealers will take 20% plus the cost of any repairs necessary to put the instrument into good playing condition. Each of the above has an in-house repair staff. The instrument should be securely packed by someone who knows how to ship string instruments so it does not incur shipping damage.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

TWLADY 

TWLADY: Well, your friend's mandolin sure has a colorful story attached to it. This is a Gibson F-4, at that point the top of the line for Gibson mandolins. From the serial number it looks like it was made in 1921.

If it was in better shape it would be worth maybe a few thousand dollars but that neck break and what looks like a poorly-done repair would lower the price considerably. I would guess that you can do some searching for similar mandolins and average the retail price then ask for at most 1/2 of that.

I could not find much about the original owner though I doubt that provenance would add much to the value of this instrument unless he was someone nationally known. I wonder why Pappy Gibbs gave it to your friend. Your friend probably knows more of that story.

One of the best places to sell mandolins is right here on the classified section of this site. They request 2% of the selling price donated to the site which is much less that eBay and much safer in most respects.

-----------

Hah! Rcc56... I was typing at the same time. Great minds run in the same gutter. I agree that consignment might be another good option.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

TWLADY 

Teacher, repair person

Consigning would probably be easier for an owner that is 75 years old.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

TWLADY 

I had someone mention it would be worth around $2,000 if that price is fair I'll tell Dennis and see if he wants to contact him? It's so hard to know when it is a item you are not familiar with. I just want to get the best price for him.

Why don't you contact one of the reputable shops mentioned above via e-mail and ask what they think they could get you for it? I do understand the desire to quickly take of it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Original case is a plus.

Concur with Mike E's advice. A good vintage dealer will give you an honest appraisal, and quote you a reasonable retail price and consignment arrangement.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

OP:

If you'd give us some idea of where you are, it would be easier to recommend a shop to which you might take it for evaluation, consignment, etc.

It might sell here in the Classifieds, but your friend would have to be willing to accept a return if the buyer was dissatisfied. It would be impossible for a buyer to evaluate that neck break without looking at the mandolin in person and playing it.

It looks like the hardware is original except for the pickguard, and if that is a refinish at least it's competently done. The reddish spots in this photo might indicate remnants of an older finish underneath the black, but it's hard to say anything definite.

Views:	230 
ID:	162985

If you have it evaluated by a dealer for consignment, that will give you a better idea about whether $2,000 is a good price. A dealer may say, "I can sell this for $2,500, and you'll get 80% of that amount." Well, 80% of $2,500 is $2,000, so your friend might want to just take the $2,000 offer. But if a dealer says, "I can sell this for $4,000, and you'll get 80% of that amount," then consignment might be a better deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	117 
ID:	163080  
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

That first A model is a Givens and looking at Greg Boyd's sight they go anywhere from $2,500 to 4,000.
    I agree you should contact George Gruhn or the other dealers.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    That first A model is a Givens and looking at Greg Boyd's sight they go anywhere from $2,500 to 4,000.
    ???????????