Thread: My new Eastman MD315

Default My new Eastman MD315

After a lot of help from you guys I bought my first mandolin from The Mandolin store.I am really pleased with the quality and sound.I've been playing banjo since high school,now at 62 I didn't realize how complex the mando is.I have a problem if someone would ring in.The shop said they set the action at "medium".I've been playing about three weeks now,bit my fingers are killing me.I know I'm used to the soft touch of a banjo but the strings seem to high to me.If I loosen the strings and lower the bridge am I doing right?I don't know how to measure the correct string height,and don't want to get the intonation off.I know it's going to take time to get used to that skinny neck but I think there is a way to help a little.Thanks a lot.

Default Re: My new Eastman MD315

Do a search for Rob Meldrum (sp?) or mandolin setup. He did a detailed report on mandolin setup so that should help. You can loosen the strings slightly (3 or 4 turns) and lower the bridge. If you do not move the bridge it will not effect the intonation. If you lower it to much you will get some buzzing from the strings contacting the frets. If that happens just raise it bridge until you can noted cleanly. You do not have press very hard to get a clean sound so try to experiment to see how light you can press and get a clean note. You should also be pressing on the back side of the fret not in the middle between the frets, takes less pressure. I have found Elixir mandolin strings to require slightly less pressure than some other strings? It does take time to build calluses.

Thanks a lot,I just didn't want to mess things up.It's hard starting over again.

I was in the same boat as you, years back. Been a banjo picker for decades. You can try making adjustments as NW Steve described, careful not to go too low. Check for string buzz one fret at a time to check your work. Higher string action will produce more volume. Keep working at it and toughen up those fingers. It just might make your banjo picking better. Good for endurance too. Good luck!

How high is the action at the moment?

Obviously personal preferences vary but a good rule of thumb for me is whether I can store my pick between the first fret and the strings when I’m not playing. If it falls out then the action is too high for me.

Thanks guys.I'm going to give it a try.You don't realize you're getting old till you try something new.

I would recommend some lighter gauge strings too. The Mandolin Store probably put D'Addario EJ74s or something equivalent on there. I use the GHS Bobby Osborne strings, which are medium-lights. Slightly lighter feel but you still get the big sound.

Yes, lower the bridge! I actually lowered mine a little on Friday. You can always raise it up again if needed. If that doesn’t help, you can also lower action at the nut with a set of torch cleaners (available for about 5 bucks at hardware stores), but be careful not to go too low on that one, as the fix would be a bit more complicated. Get Rob’s ebook, and also check out the info on frets.com. Lots of good stuff there.

You can do this!!
    Chuck

Also, don’t forget to check intonation after you adjust it. I’ve not had to move my bridge with any adjustments I’ve made, but it can occur depending on how much you change the height
    Chuck

I watched a video from Rosa Mandolins,he set up the same one I have.It wasn't as high as I thought.I set it so a 1.5mm pick fits under the 7th fret.Plays better and no buzzes.I think getting used to using more pressure and the close strings is my main problem.It's just going to take time.Thanks for all the help