Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mapes Strings

Default Re: Mapes Strings

Seems most are using the phosphor bronze. Has anyone tried the nickel plated Mapes strings - or anyone else's nickel plated mandolin strings?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Hey Grizzly, I haven't tried the nickel plated but here is a earlier post pertaining to the Brass set....

I love the Mapes selection.

I currently have the 80/20 brass med. guage on my Weber Fern and I really like them. The brass wrapped strings have a tone that is very similar to the plain wire strings so there is not a big tonal jump switching across corses. I have a set of their phosphor bronze on my Gilchrist A3 which is very nice.

Mapes uses a super-thin coating on the wrapped strings which prevents oxidation.

Oh, and you can order up any gauge you prefer, you are not limited to prescribed sets.

And they are only $5.00, such a deal!

You can only get them directly,
    https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/mandolin-strings/

(Can you tell I'm a fan??)

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

3. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Put the Mapes on my Bitteroot switching over from John Pearse heavy's and like the Mapes not any better but I like em, it seems I lost some volume on G string but it's so hard for me to tell I think the only real way be to check with a DB meter or something. The one thing I did notice and like is the G & D on the Mapes seem a lot smoother and makes sliding very nice. I tried GHS awhile back and didn't like them much on the Weber I went to John Pearse from J74's for volume & bass increase and the JP delivered in that regard. Overall I like the Mapes I'll probably use JP next time and have better reference after playing the Mapes for awhile.
    Lou

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    Seems most are using the phosphor bronze. Has anyone tried the nickel plated Mapes strings - or anyone else's nickel plated mandolin strings?
    I'm on a set of GHS pure nickel strings after using the PB. I'm undecided but leaning probably not. Didn't like them at first but left them on a week and don't have any urge to swap out. It's hard to evaluate strings that are close - by the time you've had them on a while your ear has adapted. I would need two identical mandolins with different sets to be sure.

They look different for sure. The wound strings had a fuzzy jangle to start out with but have settled in. Maybe a touch less overtones than PB but in a good way. Bottom line for me is not enough difference in sound to get excited over but they are good strings that I would play again if I had a pack laying around. Not sure how long they last - but if they hold up a lot longer than PB then I might be tempted to use them regularly
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Dec-21-2017 at 9:34am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    And they are only $5.00, such a deal!
    I try new strings when online stores run free shipping offer. It's $8.50 to my zip to try a pack of Mapes. Not a dealbreaker but not a deal when I have a drawer full of other strings that I don't prefer. If I had been thinking I should have bought some mapes guitar and mandolin strings for Christmas presents and a pack for myself.

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Loubrava, are the gauges the same on the Mapes & Pearse?

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

Loubrava, are the gauges the same on the Mapes & Pearse?

Billy
    Yes, the only difference in the JP heavy's is the E string is a 12 so I got a Mapes PB 12,15,26,40 I know a 40 is a 40 but the JP 40 seems beefer than the Mapes 40 ?? Had the same feel with J74's is the JP just feel beefer I play Godin A8 with J74's and use the JP on the Weber. I'm thinking for a real comparison I would need to try both sets same day I'm comparing a new set of Mapes with a few hours of playing time to set of JP's that had hundreds of hrs on em. I like the Mapes and I'm going to put on a new set of JP's next time and see if hear the same differences for some reason I kind of doubt I will !

Blog Entries

Does Mapes have a list of available custom string sizes for mandolin on their site?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Does Mapes have a list of available custom string sizes for mandolin on their site?
    Go to their site at mapes strings. com but I think you can request most any size and mix match however you want.

Blog Entries

I should have said. I was there. I see a list of common sizes but for example, 11.5 is not listed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I should have said. I was there. I see a list of common sizes but for example, 11.5 is not listed
    I think you must select the box that says "My Custom Strings", then type in 11.5 etc.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Blog Entries

So if I type in 11.35 they will retool and make me a custom string. That is cool

Under custom, I typed in 11.5 for my E strings and that is what I received !

16. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Thx. I'd like to experiment some with A string sizes. When I check tuning at our weekly get together, it seems that the A string(s) are always out more than the other strings. I had this random thought of getting a variety of A string sizes and test them til I found a size that played better (tension and tuning wise) with the others

Blog Entries

Received reply back from a contact at Mapes re custom string sizes:

"We will try to do any gauge choice that you would like. The parameters on the plain steel however are in whole and half sizes ie: .0011, .0115 , . The wound gauges are pretty much any whole number you choose."

Guess it's time to try'em

By the way...

I have called Mapes numerous times and always had a real live human answer the phone! I have been treated with that wonderful Southern Hospitality and directed to the correct personnel to answer my question. Like, "what is Appalachian Moonshine" the strings are cured with? etc....

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

20. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

By the way...

I have called Mapes numerous times and always had a real live human answer the phone! I have been treated with that wonderful Southern Hospitality and directed to the correct personnel to answer my question. Like, "what is Appalachian Moonshine" the strings are cured with? etc....

Billy
    If you don't like the strings you can always lick em !

Too bad they don't make a wound A string.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    The Mapes are less clangy on the outset than the GHS and seem a bit warmer. Not sure how they will eventually settle in. They feel pretty much exactly like the GHS under the fingers.

All said, these are excellent strings. Try some.
    First impression with first set of Mapes is they immediately sounded pretty nice without any of the 'clangy' sound I expect from brand new PB wound strings. If you change strings often and don't like the play in time you should experience this.