Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapes Strings

Default Mapes Strings

Having not heard of Mapes Strings ( started in 1912 ) I decided to try out a set for my Ellis A5 and wow! My Ellis woke up and came alive on the D and G strings and with great clear treble at the other end ! I ordered the custom gauges that I chose 11.5, 16, 26 and 40 PB! I was using GHS A270 but now a Mapes believer ! $5.00 a set and reasonable shipping charge.

Default Re: Mapes Strings

It only takes one try and then you buy. I love them on my Yellowstone. I was a GHS A270 believer for many years. My next set I am also going with the 11.5 E string.

3. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

DUDE!

I'm singing the praise!

They are on all but one of my mandolins at this time. And once I get off my lazy butt they will be on ALL my mandolins!

I have a (rare) electric lead guitar gig coming up and even though I have many sets of various brands I'm gonna quick ship a Mapes set and we'll see how that goes.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

5. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Like Mr Lane, I have been a GHS A-270 user for many years but every now and then I do try different strings when they are on sale or something new comes along, I put a set of Mapes om my Ratliff and love the sound that it has with the Mapes, it did lose a little on the A string. then I tried a set on a custom made mandolin and it also sounds better for bluegrass so I will try to order some special sets with heavier A and E strings...At $5.00 a set why not give them a try?

Willie

7. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

This thread reminded me that I wanted to try these next string change, so I just went and ordered a couple sets. Will report my findings. Not sure what to make of the "cured with moonshine" bit though...

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    This thread reminded me that I wanted to try these next string change, so I just went and ordered a couple sets. Will report my findings. Not sure what to make of the "cured with moonshine" bit though...
    If you don't like the sound you can lick the strings and the strings might sound better !

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    If you don't like the sound you can lick the strings and the strings might sound better !
    True! The ability to customize the string gauges is very cool. I built a couple sets based on the GHS Bobby Osborne medium-lights, which are my favorite strings.

I just ordered a set of them PB 11.5-40 switching over from John Pearse heavy 12,16,26,40. Awhile ago I sent my Weber Bitteroot to B. Weber for some work, new bridge, nut & set up it came back with the JP strings and Mr Weber spoke very highly of them. Anyway the mando sounded and played great when I got it back I'm sure that had something to do with the work done to it and I've just been using the JP ever since, prior to that I was using J74's. I'm wondering why exactly do you guys like the Mapes over the GHS A270 ? I tried the GHS on a cheap import and compared to the J74's they didn't seem to have as much volume on that mandolin so I never bought them again or tried them on the Weber. I guess you really need to try them all out on the same instrument but I'm lazy and tend to keep strings on for way too long.
    Thanks
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Loubrava View Post
    I just ordered a set of them PB 11.5-40 switching over from John Pearse heavy 12,16,26,40. Awhile ago I sent my Weber Bitteroot to B. Weber for some work, new bridge, nut & set up it came back with the JP strings and Mr Weber spoke very highly of them. Anyway the mando sounded and played great when I got it back I'm sure that had something to do with the work done to it and I've just been using the JP ever since, prior to that I was using J74's. I'm wondering why exactly do you guys like the Mapes over the GHS A270 ? I tried the GHS on a cheap import and compared to the J74's they didn't seem to have as much volume on that mandolin so I never bought them again or tried them on the Weber. I guess you really need to try them all out on the same instrument but I'm lazy and tend to keep strings on for way too long.
    Thanks
    Lou
    On my Ellis A5 I always thought that on the bass side on the D and G strings that it was lacking in volume and I just didn't like the tone. But, when I put the Mapes on, WOW ! Volume and depth was fantastic ! It was as if my mandolin awoke from a long sleep ! I got the PB 11.5,16,26 and 40 course strings ! No more GHS A270 on this instrument !

New strings usually sound better than the old ones, but happy shopping and picking..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    New strings usually sound better than the old ones, but happy shopping and picking..
    I normally don't have old strings as I switch every couple of weeks , same with underwear !

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Like Mr Lane, I have been a GHS A-270 user for many years but every now and then I do try different strings when they are on sale or something new comes along, I put a set of Mapes om my Ratliff and love the sound that it has with the Mapes, it did lose a little on the A string. then I tried a set on a custom made mandolin and it also sounds better for bluegrass so I will try to order some special sets with heavier A and E strings...At $5.00 a set why not give them a try?

Willie
    Willie,

The only Mr. Lane I ever knew was my Dad. Most folks here in Montana call me Big George, I don't know why, I am only 6'1" and weigh 255. Go figure. Love those Mapes strings.

16. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Big George it is, I was trying to live up to the standards that my dad taught me by calling you "Mr."

18. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Your dad taught you well.

20. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

How do these compare to Straight Up Strings or TI's?

I tried a set of the straight up strings and they didn't bowl me over. They felt like j74's. Several years ago I did try the TI's and they sounded very good and they did last a long long time, but the cost put me off. The Mapes are very even across all the strings and the volume is as good as the old GHS A270's I used to use. The big plus with the Mapes is you can build your own custom set and they only cost $5.00. I usually order 3-4 sets at a time. The shipping cost is somewhere around $6.00. I like them and it seems others do to.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Interesting! I notice they also sell octacore strings on their site. Has anyone tried these?

Got my two sets of Mapes in the mail this week. Speedy delivery. Going to try and install them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Got my two sets of Mapes in the mail this week. Speedy delivery. Going to try and install them this weekend.
    Waiting to hear your impression of them.

Does your collings have an englemann top ? I ask because I have an englemann top on my Yellowstone.

27. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Waiting to hear your impression of them.

Does your collings have an englemann top ? I ask because I have an englemann top on my Yellowstone.
    I believe it does.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
    Interesting! I notice they also sell octacore strings on their site. Has anyone tried these?

I did. They were good, but honestly I couldn't hear or feel much difference from the standard Mapes. Not worth the higher cost to me.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I just received a few sets of Mapes Pb (11 16 26 40). Fine strings, better than the "Cryogentically treated Americana Series". Possibly better than the Gibson Pb, not sure. Who makes Gibson strings these days anyway?

I don`t know if it the same actual company but years ago I read where most companies that sell strings bought the string material in long lengths from Mapes and then cut them to the proper length and put the loops or ball ends on them and packaged them with their own labels etc...I do know that some sellers now say that they make their strings from scratch such as Martin and DR`s...I believe that at one time Martin and D`Addario were one in the same in the string dept....Just things that I heard and picked up and don`t know if there is any truth to them or not...

Willie

All right, I put on the Mapes strings and played on them for a bit. I normally use the GHS Bobby Osborne med-lights, so I had Mapes build me a couple sets based on those. The Mapes are less clangy on the outset than the GHS and seem a bit warmer. Not sure how they will eventually settle in. They feel pretty much exactly like the GHS under the fingers. The only downside to the GHS is that they don't seem to last very long. If the Mapes hold up longer I'll probably be a convert, especially considering the price and excellent service/turn around from Mapes.

All said, these are excellent strings. Try some.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	513.3 KB 
ID:	163193

33. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Caleb,
    My Mapes have been on my Yellowstone for two months and still sound good to me. Hope they work out for you.

35. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Caleb