Thread: Bedington Road Rag

Default Bedington Road Rag

Actually I wasn't sure what I was trying to make. I figured I'd try to write something and got carried away on tabledit. First time I've written a tune so let me know what you all think!

Also, if it sounds like I ripped most of this off from something else, I did so unintentionally. I just created the progression and then plugged a played a few different ideas at the chord changes until something sounded good.

BedingtonRoadRag.tef
    Last edited by MAlerding; Dec-09-2017 at 11:36am.

Default Re: Bedington Road Rag

Constructive criticism is welcome***

I can't quite get the sense of the melody by listening to the MIDI. It also might help you as a composer to play it and see how it works on the mandolin. My initial impression is it jumps around a bit melody-wise.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've been working on it, its definitely not very easy for me to play quickly. There are a lot of awkward fingerings and a couple odd single fret shifts in it. I wrote it really to get a sense of how to write something over top of a chord progression. Its a first try; I didn't even intend for it to be a rag but the instructor told me that's what I had done!