Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What the

Default What the

Heck??? This is insanity...

Dem

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: What the

are you talking about the song or Thile's hairdo?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

akjedStevo75 

Wowzers!
    Other worldly
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Someone should buy him a comb for Christmas.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Let me be the first to say, “that ain’t no part of nothin”

But it is amazing and they are all super talented
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Is there actually... you know.. a tune there somewhere? Hidden.. lurking... trying to get out? Desperately pleading for freedom and to be heard?

Never mind....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Well, I believe it's part of a highly romantic attitude, discontent with musical formulas and conventions. And there is something “which is not I, nor comes from the I, and which is also not merely a Non-I” (F. Schlegel, Thoughts, KA 18: #83) - hence the body movements and Chris's hairdo...

12. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

JimY 

Self indulgent & tuneless !. ''Pickin' for themselves'' not the audience = take it or leave it IMHO,& before anybody points a gun at me,i am a great admirer of Chris Thile's talent. However his 'current musical output' is far less to my taste,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Despite the Cafe owner's repeated (and honourable) efforts to defend him, I doubt if Mr Thile worries much about approval from a community nowadays seemingly more concerned by his hair or his clothes or his body movements.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

===========

Whew - I 'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that as not much more than a waste of incredible talent.

John Fogerty once said something along the lines of: 'Having chops is one thing, but knowing what fits the situation is what separates the men from the boys.'

Sorry boys . . . .

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I guess it might come down to the medium, and not the message. First, I'm a big supporter of the string band fringe world, but having said that, not everything works. But that's nothing new, many of us didn't quite fall in love with 45 minute Grateful Dead jams. And, as I pick through my collection of free jazz tapes I made years ago, I'm stuck by how much just really didn't work either. In the smoky jazz club at the time it was performed, it was amazing. In a living room, stretched out on a couch, it's not standing up to a repeated listening. Youtube is a great medium to discover talent, to preview an artist you might go see, but it can also keep something around that might not be a real winner.

But I'll always want to hear the musicians cut loose and try to stretch their improvisational legs, you never know when brilliance strikes. For me, they're always more interesting shows than the canned, overly rehearsed ones, no matter how well played.

If you put this in the context of a modern jazz string band, you might see it differently. You might still not like it, and that's fine, but looking at to from a bluegrass perspective will distort the view of what's being attempted here.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charlieshafer For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post

If you put this in the context of a modern jazz string band, you might see it differently. You might still not like it, and that's fine, but looking at to from a bluegrass perspective will distort the view of what's being attempted here.
    My feelings exactly. From what I know about bluegrass,which is admittedly not much,improvisation consists of different variations on the tune during breaks. Jazz is a whole 'nother thing (again my knowledge is limited, this is just my observation) where players more or less freely work around the basic tonal structure of the piece ie chord patterns. There may or may not be much of apparent tune but the structure is there. I'd say "that ain’t no part of bluegrass, but it's sure part of something else".
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Busman For This Useful Post:

Nicely said Charlieshafer. Seems to my ears there's a tune/theme introduced and repeated in the first 65 seconds. Then expanded.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-09-2017 at 7:37am. Reason: Fixed quote syntax

You know, I don't like all music. There are some genres that simply leave me unimpressed. I don't like all of the songs in the genres I do like. I remember not being let into Disneyland in the 70's because my hair was too long. I wish I still had that problem. After playing more than 50 years on two different instruments I couldn't stand there and do that on either. Chris Thile is not only able to stand up and play that as well as pretty much any genre he chooses too and make a living in an industry that most of us cannot make a living in. If you don't enjoy one of his projects that probably doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I imagine he will read this thread and be amused.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Its its own genre. Just because you might not like to watch/play soccer doesnt mean that Pele or Becker werent incredable at it.

I thought it was awesome....Insanely (good) playing some abstract fusion jazz with real emotion ... But I dont want to watch an hour of it. Put in a context of a part of a whole show it no doubt hit a home run. Taken out of context as a snippet with the morning coffee, maybe not.

As for the bed-head, at least we now know CT sleeps on both right and left sides.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post

But it is amazing and they are all super talented
    It is part of something,,it's part of what they are playing!

Nowt wrong with that, I enjoyed it, but then I love Jazz. I suggest none of you sit down and listen to a John Coltrane album then ��

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukrobbiej For This Useful Post:

I thouroughly enjoyed that, but like Astro, I wouldn’t care to watch it for an hour. I’m a big fan of Julian Lage and started that clip expecting (or knowing there was a large porential for) something a bit more abstract. I was not disappointed. Reckon it truly does take all types to make the world go round.

Just because you can ... doesn't mean you should.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

32. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

What they are doing is not too far away from what Väsen and some of the other modern Scandinavian bands do. Not entirely my cup of tea, as it's going into the free jazz realm. But am not going to slam it either.

Oh, and I hear some of this type of playing in the Thile/Grier concert recording from 17 years ago.

More surprised that Chris has a D'Addario tuner on his mandolin.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

These guys CAN and SHOULD.

This is a great example of musicians of high quality having fun!

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I just really love and appreciate music and hearing others being creative. This I really enjoyed. Will I watch it again? Probably not. Would the audience want them to play it again? Probably not. But once, especially if you were there to see thos performance live, was probably pretty cool.

My wife and I are both acoustic music enthusiasts. She likes chamber music--dislikes roots and bluegrass music which I love. But somewhere all our musical tastes influence one another. The end result is better music for us all.

38. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

I could easily watch an hour or two of that. Julian Lage is insanely good, and the interplay between them is cool to hear and see. Wow...
    Chuck

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Here is what I know. This is a musical conversation between two incredible musicians, and the listeners have a choice to eavesdrop or not. If an artist did everything for the audience, well, they would never be happy. I think Thile does a lot of music with the audience in mind, but every now and then the guy is allowed to departure. To enter the realm of music that quenches his own technical and music ability. And when he does that I find that he has been very grateful to the people who have listened. I'm sure he is well aware of the fact that some people may not take to it but in hopes they will at least respect it. To allow him the chance to share that part of himself, too. He is grateful... I mean what is the title of his newest album? 'Thanks for Listening." I believe there is a lot behind that title...

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post: