Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

Default Re: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    ...Steven Gilchrist meets each of his customers in Nashville. I don't know if he'd turn down an order from a newbie who wanted an F-5, but I have to think he'd be pretty disappointed if he was building an instrument for somebody who didn't know how to play.
    I sincerely hope that Mr. Gilchrist doesn't think that way. I would hope that he builds his instruments to be enjoyed by anyone who has the money to buy one, and that he's never "disappointed" at who buys his instruments.

When I visited Tom and Pava at their shop in Austin (I have a Pava mandolin too), both of them were as gracious and friendly as I could possibly have hoped. They spent time with my wife and me, gave us a shop tour, answered all our questions, played a little, and never once asked what our skill levels were or made us feel like we were being sized up for our worthiness of owning their instruments.

Don't get me wrong - I am sure every builder wants his or her instruments to end up being played to their full potential, making good music. But if they have judgmental attitudes about who buys their products, they are wise to keep it to themselves. I'd wager the vast majority of high-end mandolin buyers are not professionals or hot-dog players. They're people who have disposable income but not necessarily master-level playing ability. Builders know that, and would do well to remember which side their proverbial bread is buttered on.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

The one I'm playing from my wall of mandolins.

Forty years ago I passed on the best flatpicking guitar I ever played ('55 000-18 revoiced by Eldon Stutzman) because I felt it should go to a better player.

Never again.

My playing fits whatever I can afford.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

You know, I was given my Weber Yellowstone F. I actually won it in a drawing. I never thought I would own an instrument of its quality. I'm just really thankful to the folks at The Mandolin Store (nfi).

Blog Entries

Me? Antonio Tsai super deluxe model.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

7. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I play a Heiden and a Kimble. They're both better mandolins than I am a player but that's what makes me want to pick them up and play!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

I sincerely hope that Mr. Gilchrist doesn't think that way. I would hope that he builds his instruments to be enjoyed by anyone who has the money to buy one, and that he's never "disappointed" at who buys his instruments.
    I would bet money that your hope is, in fact, reality. One way to look at it is that everyone, at some point in their life, did not know how to play a mandolin. Would Mr. Gilchrist be disappointed to have sold Chris Thile a mandolin before Mr. Thile had ever had a lesson?

The better correlation is mandolin and pocketbook and I always advocate buying the best mandolin that correlates with your pocketbook. For a ton of reasons.
    Bobby Bill

11. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I think we look at this backwards. I will sound better on a great mandolin due to the quality of the instrument. A real mandolin player can take an average mandolin and sound great. So l need a great mandolin to sound average.
    I have often thought about from being a guitar player for over 40 years. Here’s my take: as a beginner a better instrument let’s you overcome the hurdle of poor tone and struggling with the instrument. You get to hear what a song/ tune should sound like. Once you get to the level of Clapton or Thile, or an experienced player, you can then make an average or poor instrument sound better then it is. Remember tone is in the fingers and technique

I’m at the point where I could make a cheap guitar sound better than it is and a great mandolin sound average or worst.

13. The following members say thank you to mrneil2 for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I think the original post demands either self deprecation or bragging as well as assigning a level of excellence to various brands when we know that such valuing follows preferences and demand.
    I prefer not to participate is such divisive comparisons.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

the four I play bring me great joy, so they're perfect!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

After the Re-fret it's better.. I'm unchanged. (other than the Eye Surgery)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I think the original post demands either self deprecation or bragging as well as assigning a level of excellence to various brands when we know that such valuing follows preferences and demand.
    I prefer not to participate is such divisive comparisons.
    I think you're absolutely right.
    (Ironic though that by chiming in here...I guess we both found a way to participate.)
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Absolutely right on Tobin. I don't believe Steve has a judgmental bone in his body, he doesn't even eat meat. Lol's. Fact, he rarely passes judgement or comments on the sound of his own instruments. Although he did say that he thought my new 5jr. had the 'stank'!

I look at it this way... he's sold a few to me so he obviously doesn't judge ...

I enjoy the cr@p out of them and every single time I pick one up I feel so lucky ... it's like Christmas everyday at my house! A nice mandolin is good for the soul! And it doesn't have to be one of Steve's either. There are truly great mandolins out there today at different price points.
    Last edited by mtucker; Dec-08-2017 at 6:46pm.

22. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

A good Gibson F5..I don't need anything more,I really don't want anything less...

I play an Ellis F5. I have no idea what skill level is recommended for a mandolin of that caliber, and I wouldn't care if I did know. I play it because I enjoy it, and I know I can never blame the instrument for holding me back.

No offense to those who enjoy these types of discussions, but I think it's a waste of time and an insult to us all when we try to define what instrument we "deserve" or "should be playing" based on skill level. This isn't martial arts where we wear color-coded belts to advertise our skill levels, or are only allowed certain weapons until we earn the right to use them. I resent the suggestion that I should play a lesser instrument until I'm a better player (not that anyone has suggested that to me, but it seems to be the idea behind these types of discussions). Play what you love, make the most of it that you can, and enjoy the journey no matter what you play. Let's stop trying to classify ourselves into categories!
    In no way did I imply that you should play a lessor instrument until you improve ! Sorry if I didn't communicate that clearer ! I own an Ellis F5 and A5 and my level of playing in no way compares to many players who play Eastman's and other less expensive mandolins. I believe in having great instruments and when I don't sound very good ( which is quite often ) I can't blame the instrument ! I just thought it would be an interesting thread to start to see what instruments every one would identify with ! More of a humorous joke type of thread ! Sorry if it came across otherwise ! I thought this just might be a FUN thread to start and something different from, " What's the best mandolin", "Anyone Heard of BC picks" and "What's the best strings"
    Last edited by yankees1; Dec-08-2017 at 7:05pm.

I own well over a dozen mandolins, from vintage Gibson F's to a recent Weber Gallatin "sopranolin." They cost widely varying amounts, and I bought them over a 45-year period. I've had a custom ten-string, fanned-fret instrument built for me; I've also accepted gifts of no-name, bottom-end instruments, and played them as well.

I spend the most time with a $250 Strad-O-Lin; it's my "take it anywhere" mandolin, so it goes to jam sessions and sing-arounds, seniors' residences and even a couple recording sessions. Does that reflect my skill level? Maybe it does, maybe not. Do I worry about its quality when I take it somewhere to play? Not a bit.

The only thing implied by an expensive instrument, is that its owner had the funds to buy it. But the converse isn't true; an inexpensive instrument doesn't necessarily mean its player couldn't afford a better one. There are all kinds of likes and dislikes, subjective preferences, and other variables that influence a player's selection of his/her preferred mandolin.

I guess I wouldn't worry about whether I was playing a mandolin that was "too good for me," or "not up to my standards." The instrument has to sound decent, be playable, and meet my current needs and preferences. Beyond that, who cares? Not me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    the four I play bring me great joy, so they're perfect!

f-d
    Well said!

Allen Hopkins said it better than I could. My 2 performance mandolins are better than my ability. But they suit me fine. My ability? My The Loar LM-220, basic, beginner.

As to cost. Well, my main guitars, which have done numerous performances are all modest. A couple of Gibsons, a Taylor 12 string, and a Martin D Jr. All satisfy my needs. When I needed a 12 string for my prior band, could have purchased something more expensive. But the Taylor sounded correct in that setting, and the electronics were useful for a couple of festival we played. Even now, I wouldn't get rid of it.

As to mandolins - I might be able to afford something more than what I have. But the sound of each instrument satisfies my ear. The oval hole works in a Finnish band. The Breedlove works in old time stringband jams and other Scandinavian music.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

29. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Few drivers, even race car drivers, drive the wheels off. So having something engineered beyond your ability is not a bad thing. It gives you latitude to skid around the turns with a big old grin on your face.
    If a few extra grand gets you a Ferrari of a mando, I say live it up and burn rubber(picks and strings)!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Blog Entries

Oh common. A person can never have too many mandolins, nor have too nice mandolins... No matter how well they play.

Impossible.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

32. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

From Drew - " ..but I have to think he'd be pretty disappointed if he was building an instrument for somebody who didn't know how to play.". I'd tend to agree. I sold my Gold Star re-issue banjo several years ago to a guy in London UK that i hadn't met. I took the banjo down to London to deliver it personally & found that the guy could hardly change from a G chord to a C chord without pausing to watch his fingers. A total waste of a great banjo. I believe that he quit a couple of years later.

Am i worthy of a mandolin of the quality of a Gilchrist (to name one top builder) ?. Yes,absolutely !. Currently,i make the best of my 3 good mandolins, & i can play pretty well after 13 years, & spending many 1,000s of hours practicing. However - could i make the best use of such an instrument in the fullest sense of the word - NO !. I literally haven't played with any other Bluegrass musicians for 8 years or more. Simply being a ''bedroom picker'' isn't even the way to make use of the ones that i already have,but in all modesty,i can't question my playing ability,& ability to improve. If i was playing regularly with other musicians,i'd maybe have made even more progress, as i'd need to push myself even harder to keep up (maybe).

My Ellis "A" style is a superb mandolin & i can make that sound pretty good. Hand me a Gilchrist (PLEASE !),& after getting used to it,i could maybe get the best out of it - but as for my ''playing with others situation'',it would be wasted,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

===========

My skill level warrants me playing a cigar box with barbed-wire strings . . . but my Kentucky KM-272 is all the mandolin I could ever need or want.

Yolo.

Dont worry about what the other kids have. Buy and play whatever makes you happy.

37. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Many years ago I was campfire jamming with an extremely good mando player, (much better than myself, then or now). Having recently learned to distinguish a carved top from plywood, and somewhat full of myself, I noticed he was playing an f-style with a non-carved, presumably laminated top. I indiscreetly asked him "So, is that your festival-camping mandolin?" He answered quite sharply, "Yeah, I hear all kinds of things about solid tops and plywood and so on, I think it's the guy thats playin it that makes the difference, didja ever think of that?"
    Fair enough he was annoyed, I had just insulted his choice of instrument. I wouldnt have said what I immediately regretted saying if he wasn't a serious pro, I of course assumed he had a Gibson or something stashed safely at home. Who was I to say what instrument he _should_ be playing? He was in a wicked hot band that sounded great onstage...

39. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Don't get me wrong - I am sure every builder wants his or her instruments to end up being played to their full potential, making good music. But if they have judgmental attitudes about who buys their products, they are wise to keep it to themselves. I'd wager the vast majority of high-end mandolin buyers are not professionals or hot-dog players. They're people who have disposable income but not necessarily master-level playing ability. Builders know that, and would do well to remember which side their proverbial bread is buttered on.
    There is another side to this, building custom instruments is not necessarily a field where money talks the loudest, nor should it be. The highest-regarded builders have years-long waiting lists, perhaps unless they completely price themselves out of a middle-class musician's range. But a lot of players who want, deserve (by ability and effort) and will play a highest-quality instrument have the barrier that they are young adults trying to make a living playing music, which puts them far below the middle class in earning power and available income.
    I know of a fiddlemaker in Cape Breton who in fact requires any potential customer to audition for him before they go on the list. He builds only a few instruments a year, and could probably charge quite a bit more for them than he does. Most of his instruments go to up-and-coming Cape Breton fiddlers, getting their Carmichael has become an important milepost for these mostly younger players. Its still a significant investment for them and/or their families, but one that is not out of reach for the ambitious. I often think I would like to have one, but I kinda suck at fiddle and never practice it...

After 5 years of playing I haven't outgrown my MT2 yet. But someday I'm looking to make the jump to the Bandola Expandido.