Thread: Temperature Sensitivity

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Temperature Sensitivity

I know I can't leave my instrument in my car unattended, but how about my new mic and amp? I would like to leave those in my car for the weekly jam session. Are they sensitive to high and low temperatures?

Default Re: Temperature Sensitivity

No, there are some precautions tho. When I played out a lot my PA and equipment never left the vehicle unless we were playing. We played a lot so it made sense, but winter or summer it was there for decades with no problems. I ALWAYS made sure I was early enough to the gig to have all the equipment out 1 hour before I needed to turn them on, mostly this was in the winter, so the moisture that would condense from going from the cold to warm environment could dry. Take you mic and amp out of whatever you keep it in so it can be in the air to readily warm and dry and you should be fine.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for this info!

During the warm months I leave all of my sound equipment in a covered trailer and it never seemed to hurt it but for the colder winter months I do bring it all inside, in fact I just did that this past week...A friend told me he left his in the top of a barn like shed and it killed it from the weather changes, if you can bring it in it would be best to do that to be sure it would be OK, it only takes a few minutes to do it....I see you live in Texas so the weather changes may not be as severe as they are here in Maryland...

Willie

Thanks, Willie. I doubt it gets as cold here. 27 degrees is expected tonight and that's really cold for here. Of course, it does get colder sometimes. My car is in the garage and I have a blanket over everything. So, I think I'm OK - for now at least.

The main thing to prevent,is any moisture in the air 'inside' your amp,condensing out when it gets cold. Wrapping it up well in any type of insulation will help to prevent that happening - but,for long periods of extreme cold such as you folks in the US get,i'd bring it inside my home - just in case !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The mic and amp are officially in a file cabinet in the house. Thanks for the guidance.

Once I got a Carbon Fiber Mix A5 , I stopped worrying .. It got even better after a fretboard leveling and a re fret.

3rd owner.. has microphonic Schertler P-up installed.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Most of my PA equipment resides in my garage, which is locked but neither heated nor cooled. Ergo, it takes on the ambient temperature and humidity of whatever season it happens to be. So far, 40 years on, no damage.

I do keep my condenser mics wrapped in plastic bags with silica gel inside, since someone once told me they're humidity sensitive. Probably an urban legend, but better safe than sorry, I guess.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Re, Condenser mics, Rode supplied Zip lock plastic bags with Silica gel packs inside,
    when they shipped the matched pair..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

mandroid,I think most mandolins get much better after a fretboard leveling and refret.

No scientific proof here;just my personal experience with mandos I've had leveled and refretted. It's like a whole nother instrument.

That is some part of somethin'.

As stated moisture can be the biggest problem but be aware that if you take equipment inside from the cold you can get condensation. You should let your equipment to come the the indoor temperature before you sue it,

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    ... You should let your equipment to come the the indoor temperature before you sue it,
    Yes because if you try to sue it earlier, you won't have enough evidence and the judge will throw it out.

(just kiddin'... not trying to be the Spelling Police.... I know, I know, I'll get my coat... )