Thread: Octave Mando bridge and saddle

Default Octave Mando bridge and saddle

Just received my new (used) 2014 Weber Gallatin A octave mando, w/f holes, yesterday, and while loving it, it seems the saddle is really high on this instrument. Lots of threads showing on the posts-7/32'' on the G string side. The action is good, might be lowered a tiny bit, so that wouldn't affect the high saddle.
    I can't imagine the top sinking on a three year old instrument, and it looks intact, but it's precarious looking with that big space between saddle and bridge? Is this normal?
    Thoughts?

Default Re: Octave Mando bridge and saddle

A picture might help, but it's not necessarily an issue: saddle might have been reduced in height too much by a previous setup person, or the instrument may just need a higher bridge than a regular mandolin one can provide. That's not necessarily uncommon for larger instruments - when you think of it, if you build an OM to the same geometry as a mandolin, just larger, then the bridge will necessarily need to be larger/higher too.

[QUOTE=Tavy;1616745]A picture might help, but it's not necessarily an issue: saddle might have been reduced in height too much by a previous setup person, or the instrument may just need a higher bridge than a regular mandolin one can provide. That's not necessarily uncommon for larger instruments - when you think of it, if you build an OM to the same geometry as a mandolin, just larger, then the bridge will necessarily need to be larger/higher too.[/QUOTE

Thanks, here's a look...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6399.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	162932  

Quote Originally Posted by kickapooviking View Post
    Thanks, here's a look...
    Yikes, somebody has mucked (and you may wish to replace one letter in that word) about with that - the saddle isn't sitting on the adjusters at all and looks to be non-compensated.

My guess is the original saddle broke (it happens) and someone just stuffed a "bit of wood" on top as a temporary replacement. Time for a new bridge saddle as a minimum I would say.

I'd go with what Tavy says too, but on looking at pictures of the Weber from various sites it seems it had a Brekke bridge and the saddle looks not unlike the one in your photo; the bridge feet look similar too in their general profile. I think I could also see that second nut on each of the screw posts that yours seems to have, so maybe have someone look at it locally. Whatever it is, there's a lot of post showing between base and saddle, and no contact between saddle and knurled screws.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Yikes, somebody has mucked (and you may wish to replace one letter in that word) about with that - the saddle isn't sitting on the adjusters at all and looks to be non-compensated.

My guess is the original saddle broke (it happens) and someone just stuffed a "bit of wood" on top as a temporary replacement. Time for a new bridge saddle as a minimum I would say.
    That is the Brekke Traditional bridge that Weber uses on octaves and mandolas. They work differently and the saddle does not sit on the adjusters by design.
    That said, the saddle does look a little high. I have the Bitterroot A Octave with the same saddle but mine has no more that 1-2 mm of the bolt threads showing above the bridge base adjustors for the action to be about 5-6/64ths" at the 12th fret.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Looks like the adjustment is right at the limits, i had that on my first Weber A style [not a gallatin]. what does the neck look like? straight?
    my weber f-style has the same bridge / saddle but only a couple of mm raised.

Bridger Products

The bridge is a standard Brekke/Weber traditional bridge and it looks to be adjusted about as high as it will go.

I would check with Bruce Weber at Montana Lutherie. He can send a taller base or I could also cut a custom one for your instrument.

It's possible that it could be replaced under Weber's warranty.

Bruce may also have some ideas about adjusting the truss rod or other solutions with your existing bridge.

Hope that this helps,

Vern Brekke
    Bridger Products

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VernBrekke For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	162952

I have a Gallatin F octave set up with average action and the bridge is not nearly set that high. I would have that looked at
    Eric Davis

2010 Gilchrist 5JR Mandolin
    2016 Weber Gallatin F-style Octave Mandolin

11. The following members say thank you to Eric Davis for this post:

Well clearly I know nothing about Webers: thanks for the corrections!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VernBrekke View Post
    The bridge is a standard Brekke/Weber traditional bridge and it looks to be adjusted about as high as it will go.
    The only time I've had a bridge maxed out like that, it was on a new (to me) used mandolin whose top was sinking. I don't want to be alarmist, but I would be interested in a few additional photographs that focus on the arch.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I don't understand. How can the intonation of this be correct if the bridge isn't biased?

Neck is perfect, as well as the action. I talked with Greg Boyd from Missoula, MT., the shop I bought if from, and he claims the nut height is typical for this model. Again, the instrument is only 3 years old so it seems unlikely the top could have sunk. Or?
    ~Thanks

Thanks! Greg Boyd says a high saddle is typical for this instrument. I took him at his word since the neck is straight and the action just right. Think I'll follow your advice and contact Weber, but I surely don't want to have to invest any more money into repairs!

If you end up needing a new bridge, Steve at Cumberland Acoustics is a great guy to deal with.....

http://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/mandolin-bridge/

He can make you any type of bridge you want.

Hopefully Weber will take care of it.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Greg Boyd, at Fine Instruments, says mine is "normal". Hehe. Well, I've emailed Weber to see what they have to say. BTW, since we seem to have identical instruments, what is the measurement from the top to the bottom of the strings on the neck side of your bridge? Mine measures 1 1/8".

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dadsaster View Post
    I don't understand. How can the intonation of this be correct if the bridge isn't biased?
    Go here and read.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

20. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Post Re: Octave Mando bridge and saddle

I got the rep at Weber to admit that the instrument likely had the wrong bridge/saddle installed. Weber was transitioning from Montana to Oregon and some parts were in short supply. They are sending me a replacement saddle, gratis!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kickapooviking For This Useful Post:

Great that you got a happy outcome. What sorts out the Good companies from the bad is how they deal with a problem.