Thread: Moving to western Tennessee

Default Moving to western Tennessee

Hello All,
    Making the move to Tennessee this summer. I'll be semi-retired and looking for a nice community that supports a great bluegrass. I've traveled the world with the US Navy and have always wanted to settle down where there's picking all around. During my years in the Navy I had the good fortune of a few awesome experiences making friends and picking the night away. I would love to find that again. I want to stay in Tennessee as it doesn't tax my Navy retirement, every bit helps
    thank you,
    Rob

Just fixing to Start

Default Re: Moving to western Tennessee

You’ll be landing in the Mecca of bluegrass jams and festivals. I live in north west Alabama and I’m no more than two to three hours drive from a festival every weekend . Lots of jam sessions around as well.
    Thank you for your service to our beloved country.

I would have thought Southwest Virginia / Northeast TN would be more the "mecca".

Google "Crooked Road Virginia" for starters.
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings

The Jackson Tn area has a good bluegrass scene and is a nice medium sized town.https://www.facebook.com/The-Jackson...6840985694299/. Check it out. 2 hours from Nashville and 90 minutes from Memphis.

Lots of nice small towns along the Tenn river. Pickwick lake - Savannah area is rural but nice. If you like small town life.

Memphis has lots of music but not much bluegrass. Lots to do but street crime is a problem. Nashville has a great music scene but the cost of living is high lately.

As mentioned before there are several small festivals in the west Tn, north Alabama, north Mississippi area with mostly local groups. You'll see more national bands in east Tn. If youre thinking about northwest Tn it's mostly rural but you would be near western Kentucky and southern Missouri and eastern Arkansas which have a fair amount of small bluegrass festivals.

Thanks Guys! Super excited to meet new friends!