Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin straps for an F5

Default Re: Mandolin straps for an F5

I have a Bailey strap and really like it. Just ordered a Sully "new 02" F5 strap will let you know when it comes in.

mandolinstrapsofmontana.com. Responds to email inquiries about longer straps.

Tons of styles to choose from. What I found interesting is it's a leather thread you wrap around the f scroll, not the entire width of a strap. You adjust the thread according to how much length you want. Maybe it's previous strap I was using, but wrapping a wide strap around that f scroll was a challenge, was afraid I'd break the mando or something if it wasn't thin/supple enough. No issue with getting a leather thread around it.
    Collings MF Gloss Top mandolin, Kentucky KM-1000 mandolin, Godin A-8 electric mandolin, Pono Ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Signature Resonator guitar, Martin/Taylor 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, Les Paul/ES-335/LP Jr./Strat/Tele elec guitars.

be aware that *any* strap attachment that you wrap around an f's scroll will affect the mando's finish at that juncture.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    be aware that *any* strap attachment that you wrap around an f's scroll will affect the mando's finish at that juncture.
    My Bailey strap is wrapped around the scroll and no marks on finish ! But----------- I first wove the strap leather string through a small piece of micro fiber cloth and only the cloth makes contact with the finish !

it doesn't matter what's used to go around the f'scroll - the constant rubbing will at the very least work on the finish. this is why you'll see neck backs get polished on all instruments, and bottom arm bouts as well for guitars - skin and cloth movements will "polish" the finish, it's all a form of 'abrasive'. with the poly and acrylic finishes it's not so much of an issue as they're tougher than lacquer, which will not endure the rubbing. i've seen some high end lacquer finished mandos with f'scrolls that have rubbed down to the wood areas. it is what it is.

it doesn't matter what's used to go around the f'scroll - the constant rubbing will at the very least work on the finish. this is why you'll see neck backs get polished on all instruments, and bottom arm bouts as well for guitars - skin and cloth movements will "polish" the finish, it's all a form of 'abrasive'. with the poly and acrylic finishes it's not so much of an issue as they're tougher than lacquer, which will not endure the rubbing. i've seen some high end lacquer finished mandos with f'scrolls that have rubbed down to the wood areas. it is what it is.
    So, do you recommend those ugly screw in buttons that the strap would attach to ?

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Is that why Grisman plays without one?

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    So, do you recommend those ugly screw in buttons that the strap would attach to ?
    heck no, i use a butcher string strap and just live with the finish rubbing off. seriously.