Thread: SIT Mandolin Strings

Default SIT Mandolin Strings

I usually buy strings online because it’s hard to find them locally (at least the GHS 270’s I’ve been using). But the strings on my Silverangel went dead suddenly, so I went out to find some. Based on a recommendation by the owner of one of the local stores I came home with 2 sets of SIT PB Mediums-same gauges as the 270’s.

Hard to really say because my ear isn’t too good and my playing generally sucks, but my reaction was definitely positive. I don’t like bright tone and these seem a bit more mellow than other strings I’ve used. The tension seems a bit less as well so a little easier on the fingers too. Per the acronym brand name they stay in tune really well too. The only potential negative is I got the impression that the volume was a bit less than others, but just slightly. And they are cheap! I’m a convert-at least for now. YMMV-but........
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: SIT Mandolin Strings

I like to slide around a lot up the fret board (single notes and chords/double stops). How do SIT strings feel sliding?

Thanks in advance 🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I like to slide around a lot up the fret board (single notes and chords/double stops). How do SIT strings feel sliding?

Thanks in advance ��
    I don’t do a lot of sliding, but they seem about the same as the 270’s or j-74’s
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

I got the same experience with GHS silk and steels. I like the tone but they are a more mellow string. Certainly A little bit less volume.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    I don’t do a lot of sliding, but they seem about the same as the 270’s or j-74’s
    Thanks

I’ve used SIT electric guitar and bass guitar Strings a bunch, and really like them. Wish they made 11.5-41 Mandolin Strings.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

i use XYZ strings, they're the bestest of all!
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!