Thread: Question on Mandolin Storage

Default Question on Mandolin Storage

In the not too far future I foresee going to Afghanistan for a few months living in “hut” where temperatures will be very inconsistent. I play Mandolin and ukulele and plan on bringing both. But under these conditions should I buy a beater Mandolin to have with me to not worry about damaging a good one?

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Question on Mandolin Storage

Keep it from direct sunlight and wet, not humid, and it should weather (pun intended) the experience just fine. Temperature changes will not be quick or dramatic enough to cause problems. I play mine in humid conditions on river cruises here, driving there in a convertible and keep it from sun contact in the case and have been doing this for at least a decade with no problems. I have also played in 30+ degree temperatures. On one gig it started snowing and we had to move inside a parking ramp to finish the dance. Not fun for us, but the instruments survived just fine.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I'd buy a beater and plan on leaving it there with whomever seems to be most captivated by it, regardless of whether or not a nice mandolin could withstand the conditions.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I'd buy a beater and plan on leaving it there with whomever seems to be most captivated by it, regardless of whether or not a nice mandolin could withstand the conditions.
    I have done that several times, but I hate the sound of the beater and don't seem to play it. While I wouldn't take and expensive mandolin, I would take something that makes me want to play it and enjoy myself while playing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Do you know where one could buy a beater that comes with a set up? Bringing it to and from with me is not going to be hard (on planes)

Quote Originally Posted by jarednye View Post
    Do you know where one could buy a beater that comes with a set up? Bringing it to and from with me is not going to be hard (on planes)
    Buy the KM-150 starter package from Elderly (or jsut the instrument).

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I like the idea of a beater. You may not like the sound compared to your better instrument(s) but when you've been away from the good one(s), I'll bet you start to appreciate having SOMETHING to play.
    Try to learn some local music while you're there and post some sound clips when you get back.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

take your best mandolin. If it survives, you'll just have more stories to share about your favorite mandolin! You'll also save a few hundred bucks on the beater!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

And if it's damaged, you could spend a thousand on the repair. What instrument are we talking about?

Blog Entries

If it were me, I'd definitely bring a beater of both the uke and mandolin. And as has been mentioned, I'd be prepared to leave them to whomever might be interested in them. And I'd be prepared with a supply of strings.

I'd think the weather and conditions will have an affect, as there's clearly no AC or forced air heating in a hut. But more, I'd want to be prepared for theft or travel damage both on the way and possibly in Afghanistan.

I'd also be concerned that having such a nice sounding and looking possession -- even of a beater -- might prove to be an unnecessary stumbling block for a local child or even an adult. It would at least attract attention.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Normally, I'm a "take your good mandolin everywhere you go -- that's what you got it for" kinda person. Living in a hut in Afghanistan, however, would be an exception, IMHO.

I'd get a cheap plywood Rogue mandolin, a gig bag, extra strings and a tuner, a copy of Rob Meldrum's e-book on how to set it up (free to Cafe members), and do the minimum required to get it decently playable. (I'd follow a similar path for the ukulele.)

It's not just the weather/temperature/humidity that determines the recommendation. It's the fact that it's Afghanistan, where, I understand, there's a war going on, right? And "living in a hut" sorta suggests you won't be in Kabul in a secure foreigners' compound, either. If you're working for an NGO, or reporting, or whatever, there's a significant possibility of serious risk -- perhaps of leaving personal possessions behind while you relocate on short notice.

Summing it up, were I in your shoes, I wouldn't take anything I wasn't prepared to lose, if circumstances dictated. A plywood instrument is marginally less sensitive to temperature and humidity changes than a solid-wood one, so it makes some sense for "field conditions." And, as suggested above, you can leave it behind when you return, to provide some happiness for a musician who's not able to fly back to a safer situation, as we would be.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

JimY 

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Great suggestion. Maybe take over as many Rogues as you can pack in your luggage, teach a few locals how to play and set-up an instrument.

Buy local, learn a new and different instrument. It will be an interesting souvenir of your time there, and also extend your musical horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    take your best mandolin. If it survives, you'll just have more stories to share about your favorite mandolin! You'll also save a few hundred bucks on the beater!

f-d
    Bring the good one !!
    If the Talban gets you play em a tune 🤙

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Buy local, learn a new and different instrument. It will be an interesting souvenir of your time there, and also extend your musical horizon.
    I like this idea, maybe take a mandolin and trade for a rubab?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

f-d
    this!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Franey View Post
    Bring the good one !!
    If the Talban gets you play em a tune 🤙
    Yeah, what's the worst that could happen....

Don't take anything there you can't afford to lose.

I agree with other posters above:
    Buy something "cheaper" (than your "good ones"), and take that along.

21. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

Seagull S-8. Doesnt need setup, and the slim profile makes it easy to keep it inside your luggage for inconspicuous local travel or storage. Plus, if you do find someone to give it to, its a decent instrument, not just the cheapest playable thing you could find.