Thread: Fishman 330

Default Fishman 330

Just wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience with the new Fishman SA 330? I have been happy with the 220 but like some of the new features. Thanks Jim

Default Re: Fishman 330

just picked one up a week ago. love it so far! Sounds very crisp and natural. Will be gigging with it early Dec. I will also be running a cajon thru it, using a condensor mic out the back. It really does a great job with that, even using brushes. I previously used a Fishman Loudbox Mini, which was ok at lower volumes, but tended to become harsh when pushed. (Using a K&K Twin on the mando). I'm not that familiar w the 220, other than a bit heavier, lower wattage. Good luck w your decision!

Thanks for the response Tomando. Do you feel like you can get a "full" sound at a low volume?

I have not focused on low volume sound, per se, but tone controls seem pretty good, for low volume fine tuning. I will have a much better feel for the 'Fishstick' once we play out, which is not until Dec 12th. My goal is moderate volume with natural, high quality sound. Not sure there would be a huge improvement over your 220, but there will be for sure over the Loudbox Mini. I look forward to reaching out above our accordian player, who I often wind up behind. Last small space gig we did, I was giving him an audio enema, and not projecting well at all.. ��
    Tom.

Tom, Sure like to hear your comments after you have gigged with it. I like the 220 for over 90% of the gigs we do. Kind of irritating that you have to pay extra for a decent gig bag for the 330 but I reckon that is life these days.
    Hope you can avoid the audio enemas and enjoy the 330.

I will do that. PS, if you do order a 330, maybe hold off on the bag until you see the "sock"cover it comes with. It's not as bad as people say in the blogs. Sweetwater gave me a break on the deluxe bag, (half off), because I mentioned they were offering it free (with 330 purchase), when the 330 first came out. (That was a Fishman promotion). So, not bad, $ wise.

Blog Entries

I used a pair of SA220's for years... very nice little rig indeed. Always sounded great. I passed them on to friends last year, though, as I found myself running sound for other (sometimes full electric) bands and venues that needed more, so replaced them with QSC K10's, K8's + KW181 subs. For purely acoustic music they were absolutely fine. Loved the portability and fast setup.

I have never used the new 330, except at a demo, but it does have some genuinely useful upgrades and if I needed a small, portable system that offered more than a regular acoustic amp but without the bulk of a full PA, it would be in serious contention.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

8. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

JimKo 

Just did my first gig w the 330. Had a bit of feedback problem w my cajon mic, but sorted that out ok. I had it standing right next to me, and was able to hear myself well enough by rotating it slightly off forward, towards me. My sound guy told me it sounded light years better than the Loudbox Mini I had been using: clearer, more natural sound, great articulation across frequencies, great projection. There was some slight shrillness at the high end, even w the treble control at ten oclock. I would suspect that more from the pickup (K&K Twin), than the Fishstick.
    Did a good job w brushwork on cajon also.! Happy camper here…!

10. The following members say thank you to Tomando for this post:

JimKo