Thread: Gibson A-5 Mandolin (1970-1972)

Default Gibson A-5 Mandolin (1970-1972)

I recently came across a Elderly Instruments ad for this mandolin (description attached) and it peaked my interest. In trying to discover more information about this model of mandolin, I found nothing other than a brief line about the model in the article, " A Brief History of Gibson Mandolins", by Donald Lashomb. This particular instrument obviously needs some work according to the description but I'm wondering what it's value might be if it were put in proper playing condition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson A-5 pg 1.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	162967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson A-5 pg 2.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	162966

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson A-5 Mandolin (1970-1972)

Not much. The quality of Gibson's acoustic instruments was entering its lowest point during this period.

These "lump scroll," oval-hole A-5 mandolins come from a period considered to be a low point in Gibson's work-person-ship. Some have referred to them as "Gibson's Edsel." There's at least one more up on Reverb at a similar price to Elderly's.

They weren't popular, didn't last long in the Gibson catalog, and haven't attracted a lot of interest. Assume if you search on "lump scroll" you'll find some threads on them; the ones I read weren't particularly complimentary, though some posts mentioned A-5's that sounded "surprisingly good." However, when a good-sounding mandolin's called a "surprise," it doesn't make you confident in the overall quality of that particular model.

Based only on what others say, I'd be reluctant to put $900 into one. IHMO if they didn't say "Gibson" on the headstock, few would be interested. You might be "surprised," as others were, but it's taking a chance, from what I've read.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I had one with F holes ... it was OK .... Like anything else we play If you like it's tone and playability then buy it and play it. I recall the neck as being "chunky". I also played it pretty hard to get it to sound that good... R/
    PS.... I always called it a Gumby ....
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

You can also search the cafe using the term "gumby". Here is one thread about them. There are more. The first lump scroll model Gibson built was in the 30's and it was one of their second lines, not labeled as a Gibson.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

OP:

You don't want one of those.
    You just don't.

If you're looking for an oval-hole F model that will sound good and won't break the bank, check out the Northfield F-2s. Very well made, sound great, reasonably-priced.

But I wouldn't spend my money on that particular Gibson you posted above, no way.