Thread: A chance to buy a Sobell..

Default A chance to buy a Sobell..

I have a chance to acquire a 2001 large body 8 string mandolin, but it's a lot of money, which I just about could scrape right now, but I'm not sure if I could keep it as there are a lot of expenses just round the corner. It would be great to have it for a bit though..

Anyone bought something similar recently, and if so for how much?

Cheers

Default Re: A chance to buy a Sobell..

I had a chance to buy a Sobell octave mandolin in 1983. It was the finest musical instrument I had ever come into contact with. I couldn't really afford it but I had the money, if you know what I mean. I just thought it was too rich for my blood at the time and I passed on it. It was just over a thousand dollars and is worth 5-6 times more now. I crossed paths with that very instrument about 6 years ago and it was just magnificent.

I've regretted not buying that instrument every day since. If you want it and can do it, get it. You can always get rid of them but you can't always get them.
    Steve

3. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

Ran into one at the Elderly Booth at IBMA that Stan let me play. Was tapped out at the time (I was there to put a few on consignment). I still have thoughts of that beauty. Great tone and playability. Had no choice, but still regret that one.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Hi Brian.

I've never known anyone regret buying a Sobell.
    You are a very active and good musician who really should have a top instrument. Of course you should go for it.
    There are always 'a lot of expenses just round the corner' but not always a Sobell! I expect you will claim it against tax anyway.
    David A. Gordon

I'd say go for it. You can always sell it down the road if the need for money arises. It may make the parting that much harder, but you would have gained an enormous personal insight into having and playing a Sobell instrument, and grown both personally and musically as a result. And you'd never have to look back years down the road wondering what if, like a lot of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    I had a chance to buy a Sobell octave mandolin in 1983. It was the finest musical instrument I had ever come into contact with. I couldn't really afford it but I had the money, if you know what I mean. I just thought it was too rich for my blood at the time and I passed on it. It was just over a thousand dollars and is worth 5-6 times more now. I crossed paths with that very instrument about 6 years ago and it was just magnificent. I've regretted not buying that instrument every day since. If you want it and can do it, get it. You can always get rid of them but you can't always get them.
    Concur. I bought my Sobell short-scale (20.5") eight-string around 1988 or so; I have it tuned as a mandola. It belonged to English musician Martin Simpson, then living in Ithaca, who traded it in on a Gibson mandolin to take back to the UK and sell at a profit. Guess I paid around $800 then; Sobell's rep wasn't well-known in Rochester, and Simpson was PO'ed about the deal he got on the trade-in -- refused to part with the case (saying he'd get Sobell to build him another instrument to fit it). I had to get a custom case from Harptone.

Best deal I ever made -- or one of the best. The Sobell, rosewood-bodied, beautifully made, has held up excellently, and I've played it on Celtic, klezmer, and general folk music ever since. Stefan Sobell is one of the contemporary builders whose products are investments as well as top-notch players' instruments. And there aren't that many around, especially since he's building mostly guitars now, I understand.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks for all the replies. It's sorely tempting and there's a good likelihood that I'll succumb.

Despite buying an absolute cracker (Jim Hilburn A5) just a few months ago, I've just about persuaded myself that there's room for two beautiful mandolins in my life: they're so different.

Has anyone seen anything like this for sale recently that could offer a best guess as to market value? The seller is a trusted friend, but I'd still like a second, third, fourth etc opinion on its value.

Quote Originally Posted by saltybrian View Post
    Has anyone seen anything like this for sale recently that could offer a best guess as to market value? The seller is a trusted friend, but I'd still like a second, third, fourth etc opinion on its value.
    One or two secondhand instruments have shown up on Stefan Sobell's website over the last few months, but they generally appear without a price ("If you have to ask..."). Perhaps worth enquiring with Stefan about the new price of that spec instrument? I would have thought 75% of that would be fair and a good buy, possibly up to 100% depending on how you value the rarity/ "must-have" factor?

I've messaged a couple of Sobell-owners I know to see if they might give their opinion on this thread - one of them bought second-hand fairly recently, I think, so that might be a useful indicator.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

I enquired about a second hand one around 18 months ago and the asking price was £4000, FWIW. A new one was £5,500 at the time although it had a stunning quilted back rather than plain wood.

Blog Entries

I bought a Sobell bouzouki back in the 80s. I loved that thing. But I wasn't playing it enough and eventually I sold it. To a friend of a friend who is a member here, and drove clear across the country to get it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hi Brian

Thanks to Niall for alerting me to this thread. The true value of the instrument is probably around the £4000.00 mark - see derbex's post above - but I was fortunate enough to pick a 1980s small bodied Sobell up a few months ago for half that. If the owner knows it's going to a good home - which it certainly would be - there's often room for flexibility.

Hope that helps - if you can possibly afford it - I would recommend buying - if - I know Kevin Macleod would have an opinion that Stefan's 1980's models are the best for traditional music playing.

Tim
    Tim Jones

Despite buying an absolute cracker (Jim Hilburn A5) just a few months ago, I've just about persuaded myself that there's room for two beautiful mandolins in my life: they're so different.
    That has been my experience. My 10 string Sobell has been a wonderful instrument for me for over 30 years now and I would never sell it, but my Collings MT is great and in certain situations works better (I think you had a look at it once - at the Gizzen Briggs rally in Tain). Two great but different mandolins. That's not a bad thing.

Jim Hilburn looks to be a great maker. how did you come to get that?
    David A. Gordon

I remember having a go somewhere indeed - was it Tain? Can't remember. We'll be back in Tain on May 14th actually.

I got the Hilburn from TAMCO in Brighton after a full two days working through all the stock - they must have been relieved when I finally took out my wallet. It stood out in some illustrious company. An amazing collection of mandos, and guitars, if you're ever in Brighton.

I'm having a problem finding good amplification for the A5 - it came with a K&K in it but for whatever reason it didn't suit the instrument. Tried schertler, fishman, peterman, a custom built Almuse magnetic pickup, a Shure sm11, still no joy. Soon I'll have spent as much on electronics as i did on the mando in the first place.

The Sobell has a built in Baggs bridge pickup which sounds great - another tick in its favour!

Thanks for pointers on value - much appreciated. In light of that, it's not a bargain, but the asking price is about right.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

if I had a clear chance to buy a Sobell (that tenor guitar that popped up... oh my lord....), and i had the means, I know I'd regret it if I didn't they don't lose their value. And he's not going to make them forever.
    Life's for living, not regrets...!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I remember having a go somewhere indeed - was it Tain? Can't remember. We'll be back in Tain on May 14th actually.

I got the Hilburn from TAMCO in Brighton after a full two days working through all the stock - they must have been relieved when I finally took out my wallet. It stood out in some illustrious company. An amazing collection of mandos, and guitars, if you're ever in Brighton.

I'm having a problem finding good amplification for the A5 - it came with a K&K in it but for whatever reason it didn't suit the instrument. Tried schertler, fishman, peterman, a custom built Almuse magnetic pickup, a Shure sm11, still no joy. Soon I'll have spent as much on electronics as i did on the mando in the first place.

The Sobell has a built in Baggs bridge pickup which sounds great - another tick in its favour!
    Yeah you played the Gizzen Briggs rally in Tain about 3 or 4 years ago. I guess I'll see you in May.
    I bought my Collings at TAMCO so I do know the set up there. Terrific.

I am aware that you have been having trouble with amplifying the Hilburn. In my case I often use the Collings for pub sessions and unamplified things. I don't have a pickup in it.
    I use my Sobell for gigs where I need to plug in. My Vanden magnetic pickup has worked pretty well for about 25 years now.

So yes, if you buy the Sobell you would be all set to go for your stage sound. That is quite a big tick in its favour.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Yeah you played the Gizzen Briggs rally in Tain about 3 or 4 years ago. I guess I'll see you in May.
    I bought my Collings at TAMCO so I do know the set up there. Terrific.

I am aware that you have been having trouble with amplifying the Hilburn. In my case I often use the Collings for pub sessions and unamplified things. I don't have a pickup in it.
    I use my Sobell for gigs where I need to plug in. My Vanden magnetic pickup has worked pretty well for about 25 years now.

So yes, if you buy the Sobell you would be all set to go for your stage sound. That is quite a big tick in its favour.
    That would, presumably be one from the pre-Fishman era? Mike Vanden allegedly sold the rights to manufacture his pickups to Fishman, which became the Rare Earth series, but in recent years has been producing a newer version; the "Mimesis" if I remember correctly.

Intresting to know that the originals will fit a Sobel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    That would, presumably be one from the pre-Fishman era? Mike Vanden allegedly sold the rights to manufacture his pickups to Fishman, which became the Rare Earth series, but in recent years has been producing a newer version; the "Mimesis" if I remember correctly.

Intresting to know that the originals will fit a Sobel.
    Exactly right. Mike Vanden (who lives in the Scottish Highlands) customised it to suit my ten string mandolin. He also put one in my Sobell octave mandolin on the same day.
    David A. Gordon

Saltybrian -- If you scrape up the means now, I suggest go for it, as I doubt if they will ever lose their value. I obtained a 2002 large-body Sobell mandolin in birdseye maple a couple of years ago, and love it! Such wonderful sound and sustain! I don't play it nearly as much as I should, but I knew if I didn't jump on it when I had the chance, I'd regret it as I had been looking out for one for awhile. It was not cheap, but was fair -- because it was an unadvertised private sale though, and not a dealer, I won't disclose the price.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Exactly right. Mike Vanden (who lives in the Scottish Highlands) customised it to suit my ten string mandolin. He also put one in my Sobell octave mandolin on the same day.
    I assume that the originals won't fit then. It's never struck me before but, presumably, the Rare Earth name originates from Mike's village.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I assume that the originals won't fit then. It's never struck me before but, presumably, the Rare Earth name originates from Mike's village.
    I wonder why you think that? Mike lives in a village called Strontian. I can't make a Rare Earth connection, but perhaps I'm missing something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontian
    David A. Gordon

I have a Sobel Mandolin which I do not play any more - built for me by Stefan in the 80s - if anyone is interested in photographs, please get in touch. Anita. anita.collier1@btinternet.com

I bought mine 6 years ago & paid £3,000 for it, which I have never regretted for one minute, as they are beautiful instruments.

You can check out the sound of my Maple one here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6BA95840BD13A4

Cheers,
    Dick

This one has GREAT sustain. Probably untouchable in price.
    https://vimeo.com/80387050

• Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •