Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you use.

Default what do you use.

good morning to all. what do you guys use to clean your mandolin & fret board. I would hate for my mandolin to look like Chris Thile's. would not mined having his mandolin, but one would think he would wipe it down.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: what do you use.

microfiber and water.
    damp microfiber with dish soap.
    Lighter fluid.

I pick one of those.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

3. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Dry cloth for all wooden parts.
    Dr Duck's Ax Wax for strings.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    microfiber and water.
    damp microfiber with dish soap.
    Lighter fluid.

I pick one of those.

f-d
    You going for a Torrefied top or the Hendrix tribute?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    good morning to all. what do you guys use to clean your mandolin & fret board. I would hate for my mandolin to look like Chris Thile's. would not mined having his mandolin, but one would think he would wipe it down.
    I rarely clean mine* but if I do it's just a cloth slightly dampened with water. A friend of mine who owned a high end guitar shop used to recommend Windex and he used that on instruments up into the tens of thousands of dollars.

*people pay good money to buy instruments that look distressed by years of playing, so why clean off all that valuable mojo?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

were does one buy Dr. Ducks ax wax. boy do I like the sound of that.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I use a microfiber cloth. A bit of warm water to dampen it (occasionally).

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

OK .... go to the store and buy a bundle of inexpensive wash cloths preferably white... wash them in the machine to remove any residual chlorine .... use one damp on to clean with and a dry one to buff with. Once a year or so take all the strings off and clean the fingerboard the same way .... then lightly use... a few drops ... of mineral oil to keep it from drying out ..... yes you will have to reset your bridge... the bridge is in the correct place when the tone of an open string is the same as that string noted on the twelfth fret ... the harmonic matches tonally as well ...... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

an what do you guys use on the fret board.

were does one buy Dr. Ducks ax wax. boy do I like the sound of that.
    I get mine via Amazon.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

"lighter fluid" = Naphtha, which is a very good cleaning solvent for removing body oils if used sparingly. For people who are using lighter fluid or naphtha as a cleaning agent, I'd strongly advise against leaving any naphtha rag in your instrument case as you could be asking for trouble if you expose a finish to the off-gassing in an environment where evaporation is inhibited (as in a closed instrument case). This will be a problem if a dampened rag is left against the finish for a time, but why take chances even when it's in the little storage box?

I use a dry, soft, lint-free rag for dusting. For cleaning, at home and not left in the case, I'll use naphtha or other suitable solvents for removing gunk and body oils.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I use guitar polish.

Maybe Chris Thile is on to something. I'll report back when mine is as filthy as his - maybe it will sound just as good...
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

Gentle cycle on my Whirlpool, then line drying...

Seriously, I only clean instruments when I'm changing strings. Then I wipe down with a damp cloth, sometimes with a drop of dish detergent, dry thoroughly, then a light spray of Martin guitar polish.

I rub the cloth a bit harder on the fingerboard, to get rid of any accumulated finger gunk. And I'm frequently amazed, since I sing with guitar accompaniment quite a bit, how many little saliva flecks appear on the side of the guitar that faces up when I play. Who woulda thunk it?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mugbucket View Post
    Maybe Chris Thile is on to something. I'll report back when mine is as filthy as his - maybe it will sound just as good...
    All you'd get is a big muddy mandolin.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Jimmugbucket 

I will sometimes clean a dirty fingerboard with scotchbrite. The green for really dirty and white for lightly dirty and after the green. It has the added benefit of polishing the frets.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Jim1Hays

I use a Product called "Lizard Spit" to clean the entire mandolin. I use fretboard oil once it has been cleaned. Both of these can be purchased at your local music store $12.95 for the Lizard Spit and $8.95 for the fretboard/fingerboard oil.

I haven't cleaned my mandolin yet but I've only had it for a year . I don't really clean any of my instruments very often at all except for wiping away the dust from under the strings by the bridge and/or on the headstock (I hate dust). I'll also lightly steel wool any fretboard grunge if it accumulates and oil board if dry but so far there is no grunge on my mando yet.

For the body it's just a little condensed breath moisture and a microfiber cloth to remove hand and arm gunk.

I seldom clean the fingerboard because I'm usually changing one string at a time without full access to the board. On the rare occasions when I do clean the whole board, it's just a dry scrub with a scotchbrite pad. With a super-tight grain ebony fingerboard and a stable humidity environment, I've never felt the need to oil the board.

My octave mandolin and acoustic guitars have more surface area, and I'll sometimes use stewmac Preservation Polish, more as a cleaner than a polish. There just isn't enough surface area on my mandolin to bother using it, especially with a ToneGard blocking the rear of the mandolin and a bare unfinished back of the neck.

Blog Entries

I'm with Fatt-Dad and that advice (in that order) is what luthier John Hamlett (Sunburst) provided. I've never had to go so far as naptha.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I use fast-fret for the strings, a string cleaner , cleans the strings and makes them last longer, after playing, for the mandolin a microfiber cloth slightly damp and with a dry one after, probably every 2 or 3 months.

OK - If i'm giving any one of them a spring clean (every 3 to 4 months) = no strings / bridge removed :- 1) Polish the frets with a Silver Polishing cloth to get them nice & clean it cleans off any gunge as well. 2) Wipe the fingerboard over lightly with 'Teak Oil (or any natural 'veggie' type oil) & immediately wipe it off - it restores the look of the f/board. 3) I use a spray Beeswax furniture polish on the body & neck. Spray onto a clean cotton cloth,wipe on & polish off with a yellow duster. For cleaning the strings,i use either WD40 sprayed onto a cotton cloth, or Servisol Elec.switch cleaner. Both contain substances that will remove crud from the strings & also leave a microscopic film of anti-oxidant on them.
    My Weber & Lebeda still look almost as good as new. Only my Ellis bears the marks left by it's previous owner
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trio 2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	162914
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Usually just a dry flannel cloth. They used to give them away at guitar stores years ago. Occasionally will use a microfiber cloth.

Have been known to occasionally spray some sort of cleaning fluid like Martin or Fender guitar polish on the cloth before wiping down. Don't do that too often, as I never trust liquids around older, crazed finishes on vintage instruments.

As for cleaning fingerboards, haven't had to do it on mandolin. Yet. On guitar if it looks bad, will used 0000 steel wool rubbed lightly along the length of the board to clean it up. Then compressed air to blow off the little metal fibers that get everyplace. If a fingerboard looks bad after that, then a little bit of lemon oil, rubbed lightly on the board, again along the length. And yes, I've had some repair people tell me to never use lemon oil. And others have told me it's fine.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

an what do you guys use on the fret board.
    Lemon oil, maybe a couple of times a year. and applied sparingly.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Lemon oil, maybe a couple of times a year. and applied sparingly.
    When I bought my son his Larrivee guitar a couple years ago, it had been laid up in a case for about twenty years and had a very thirsty fretboard. I was out of lemon oil, my normal go-to, and used some olive oil out of the kitchen in its stead. It was good stuff and seemed to work ok. Just an FYI in case you ever run into the same situation.