Thread: Dsus4add9 chord shapes

Default Dsus4add9 chord shapes

I've been searching on the net and not found an example yet. Can anyone share some shapes for a Dsus4add9?

It would be greatly apprecated.
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Default Re: Dsus4add9 chord shapes

Someone will likely correct my ignorance of music theory but if you told me I'd get $100 if I played that chord correctly I'd go 7-5-0-0. Here's my thinking. The 7 gets you the "d" at the root, the 5 gets you the "g" that makes it a sus 4, the open third string gets you the "a" of your d chord, and the open fourth string gets you the "e" that is the added 9. Looking forward to learning when someone explains why that's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    Looking forward to learning when someone explains why that's wrong.
    I’m eager to learn too! Hope you’re right.. that looks playable.
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Funny...on mando play all four open strings. Dsus4 is DGA...add 9 is E.

I'd make a quick diagram of a fretboard....give symbols to each of the notes required. Find the chord I am coming from and the chord I am going to and find a fingering that fits in between them concentrating on the bass note.

Blog Entries

The 7-5-0-0 or the alternate 7-5-7-x is my offering. It depends on the context, though. If you're singing a song that has the 9 in the melody, you could let the voice do that job, and just not play a higher D to avoid blurring the focus, as in 7-5-0-x. This is often the case, that the complicated chord name accommodates the melody, but you can let whatever is carrying the melody do that job. For convenience you might even skip the root, and play 2-5-0-x if there is a bass instrument to play the D.

Definitely go with the suspension, as it is a really different sound and function compared the the normal D with F#. You can leave it alone by playing neither 3rd nor 4th. Suspensions, color notes and tension notes are where the fun is, but sometimes you can skip them as long as you don't contradict them. Sometimes the opposite is true, that you can skip the basic chord notes and emphasize the extra notes, but that is more often when you are trying to play solo or carry the melody in the playing.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    ... if there is a bass instrument to play the D.
    Or... Just let the general tonality of the tune carry itself through, as it's already been established in the listeners' ears. A missing root, whether momentary or more extended, is rarely perceived as a "hole" in the music, and we musicians tend to get WAY more analytic than those who just sit back and enjoy.

I do suspect that a missing root at the point where you change keys (uncommon in roots & popular music) could be a whole different thing.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

No key change in the song. But thanks all I believe I have enough to follow through with this!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

On a chord that is built with 5 notes, you make choices. Generally speaking, I'd sacrifice either the 5th or the root - or both. But that's just a general approach, not set in stone. As to fingerings - well that's the most fun part. Finding the notes in different places and experimenting until you find what you like best in the context. "What you like best" = both the sound and the mechanics of fingering the chord. Seems a simple solution to me.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
    I've been searching on the net and not found an example yet. Can anyone share some shapes for a Dsus4add9?

It would be greatly appreciated.
    1) Depends on context. Solo mandolin? Trio? 5-piece? Or? Different settings will call for different voicings.

2) By its very nature the mandolin is incapable of playing full chords in strict root-3rd-5th-etc. order. Waste of time even trying.

3) ajh is quite correct:

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    Funny...on mando play all four open strings. Dsus4 is DGA...add 9 is E.
    (All four strings open is also (to name but one) G6sus2, if you ever need to play one of those.)

Don't forget Em7add4 and A7sus4
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    2) By its very nature the mandolin is incapable of playing full chords in strict root-3rd-5th-etc. order.
    I disagree. The patterns 7-4-0-x and x-7-4-0 give R-3-5 chords. A bit stretchy & trebly perhaps, but possible.

12. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post: