Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

Default Re: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

That's a great song! Thanks for posting the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I cannot help but wonder as to CT's ability to carry on long term with the show in light of all that he is invoved with. He does have alot on his plate and I do admire his work ethic as much as I do his incredible skill.
    I think that the beauty of the job is that it is part-time and only in production for X weeks per year. Recall that Garrison produced a second radio show (the writer's almanac), wrote books, screenplays, tons of other writing - all while writing almost the entirety of PHC. Chris is a different kind of talent, and will lean on a team of writers and producers to keep the show going, while spending a few intense days during the weeks when the show is in production.

And think back to the old Opry performers who had to get in their touring between grueling drives back to Nashville for the radio show. Thile and his cast of regulars have the superpower of air travel.

Enough of my blah blah blah... Check out this killer with Rachel Price from Lake Street Dive, and Margaret Glaspy... and imagine catching this performance live! (I was not there for this show, but I've watched the performance on my video workstation when NOT doing my work... how many times...)

BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

3. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

I enjoyed the old show but absolutely couldn't stand GK panting into the mic. I have to imagine the sound engineer was beside him/herself.

The show has definitely morphed into a music nerd-fest... which suits me perfectly. I love the wild swings from rock to jazz to traditional to classical. Never a dull moment!
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings

Do they stream the shows online? If they do what is the link?

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Ok, here's my worthless suggestion for the show. I've heard all those musicians, house band and guests, a lot. I'd really love to hear new bands I don't know. There are so many great undiscovered ones, I'd love to see some of them. And, to make it more accessible to the entire country, making one big musical community, I'd let listeners suggest local bands (local to the listeners, anyway) that would easily pass under the radar of NPR. Have the nominees send in their little electronic press kit if selected to the short list, and then choose two per show. Fly them out, give some new guys a chance at fame and fortune, and see what happens. You could get a much broader range of music, from Texas Swing to old-school cowboy bands, old-time screamers, Ithaca weirdness, etc.

I personal like the suggestion of local unknown talent but the danger in that is reducing the size of the audience. People like us that listen to a wide range of music are limited in number. GK had a good variety of styles of music but the program wasn't a "music program", people listened for what struck their fancy, music, comedy, satire, story telling, etc. I wonder if with Thile it may become to much music to draw the audience. I'll listen but will enough people to justify it's existence.

George you can find live streams and past shows at https://www.prairiehome.org/ and clips on their youtube channel.

Live From Here

The show has a name! I realize that it's only a matter of time till the complete show will be streamable on-demand. But I love that, for now, you have to catch the live stream if you want to watch the whole show. It's old school.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

10. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Last night was the first time I had the opportunity to take in the new show in it's entirety. It was a pretty cool experience that made me think of how families used to sit around the radio listening to the Opry or variety shows. We hung out in our TV-less living room around the Alexa speaker getting all Christmasy with some new/old school vibes. The music was amazing; the stand up comic at the end was hilarious, Punch Bros playing Debussy, Sarah Jarosz making fun of Taylor Swft, I loved it all.
    FYI "Alexa, play Prairie Home Companion" still works for now.

12. The following members say thank you to gregoriousd for this post:

I listened to most of it, and thought it was excellent. The Nondenominational Carolers Spreading the Word of Carol was pretty funny.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

They streamed last night's show via YouTube which you can access through the YT Roku app if you have a Roku box. I really enjoyed the show. Garrison was never my favorite person (sorry to his fans). After hearing several stories about him from individuals that interacted with him on a personal level, including the one Dawg posted here about his treatment of a very ill John Hartford, I lost a lot of respect for him.

I think Chris has found his niche, and I loved the Brandenberg Concerto selection, and the tribute to Beethoven too. Chris has done a lot to break down the barriers (along with other players like Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall, Yo Yo Ma, just to name a few) between the genres. It was funny to hear him count off the Bach.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Chris playing is impeccable and seemingly effortless but what really impresses me is his vocal range

The Bach and Beethoven pieces were spectacular. The comedian was hilarious, too. What a great show! There were a couple extra tunes/songs on the Prairie Home page video stream. Did those show on YouTube? I had trouble streaming on YT so switched back to the prairie home page.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Cafe regulars have known about this 'new' trio for years now... ;-) Looking Forward with Sarah Jarosz Nice to see them hitting their stride.

I'm With Her, Live From Here:

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

19. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Beanzy 

Drummer is good but too loud.

Blog Entries

Here is my well thought out recommendation for the show:

Chris just keep a going. You are surprising so many of us in so many ways I gladly leave it all up to you and your collaborators. It sounds good from here.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

22. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I listened the other night while I was driving home. Chris does a good job. Similar to the "old" show but with some nice changes, IMHO.

This is a music-lover's show now. True music lovers have no boundaries - rap, folk, classical... it's all good *IF* someone can curate out the crap. And that's what this show is doing... curating.

Musician's Birthdays is the best example of this. They'll KILL a Stevie Wonder tune and close with a re-orchestrated classical tune. And mix a bit of hip-hop and disco in for good measure.

My wife has a major CT crush. I think I do too. And Julian Lage. And all their bass players. The drummer... the guest female vocalists. I really love 'em all.
    ---

25. The following members say thank you to Brian Harris for this post:

Completely by accident I found that Chris will be performing in Portland, Oregon this Saturday. It only took about one second to decide I was buying tickets!

Blog Entries

I like that Chris is excelling at and putting his "brand name" on many endeavors that are not exclusively or even primarily mandolinnish.

What I am trying to say is that his show presents good music, and Chris is seen with a mandolin around his neck in the same way that Jimmy Dodd played tenor guitar on the Mickey Mouse Club - not to emphasize the instrument or to show anything, but having the effect of passively demonstrating the legitimacy of that particular instrument for leading a band or singing or telling a musical story.

Chris, IMO, is not doing mandolin here. He is doing music, and his chosen vehicle happens to be mandolin.

I think that is great.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I would even go so far as to say this is an aspect of Chris's talent that I want to emulate. I want to set "playing mandolin" aside in a way, and more consciously chase playing music. Sure I love mandolinny stuff, but in context, and where it supports musicality.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I want to set "playing mandolin" aside in a way, and more consciously chase playing music.
    That's the logic I use to temper MAS. I don't want it to be about the mandolin, even as I'm playing it. The sound it makes is the sound it makes (says the guy who just bought a mandolin sight-unseen).
    ---

Got our tickets to see them at the Grady Gammage theater (on the campus of Arizona State University) this March! Can't frikkin' wait!

31. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

I'm seeing him with Live From Here in Austin January 27. My family and I are completely stoked. I think all indications are that he will be known as a giant in acoustic music who is producing a body of music that will be listened to, and appreciated, a century from now.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by mandocaster View Post
    I think all indications are that he will be known as a giant in acoustic music who is producing a body of music that will be listened to, and appreciated, a century from now.
    I couldn't agree more and that goes for his efforts across the board. I was watching "How to Grow a Band" again the other day and Gabe Witcher was commenting on how he advised his Punch Brothers bandmates to have something lined up in case Thile finds something bigger or better. Well he found something, but he took his buddies along for the ride. That was 10 years ago and everything has been uphill since then, for Punch Brothers, solo Thile, Goat Rodeo Sessions, APHC/LFH, the lot. I am so psyched to be in tune with this little niche of the musical world and truly think it's one of those "once in a generation" moments. Yes I'm drinking the Kool-Aid and it's delicious.