Thread: Fabulous video w/ Joe K Walsh, Molly Tuttle & John Mailander

Default Fabulous video w/ Joe K Walsh, Molly Tuttle & John Mailander

Happened on this recently while indulging my Molly Tuttle obsession. I nwasn't familiar with the tune but, man oh man, what a job they do with it! The lyrical inventiveness of Joe and John combined with Molly's driving rhythm work - whew! With all the hoopla surrounding Molly, I think people tend to overlook what a stupendous rhythm player she is. She absolutely drives this.

Mitch Russell

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: Fabulous video w/ Joe K Walsh, Molly Tuttle & John Mailander

That's a great trio right there! Molly is so incredibly musical in every thing she does, from singing, composing, just plain being her. It's almost a shame she won the guitar award from the standpoint that people view her as a guitar player, and not a rare individual that just breathes unforced, beautiful music.

4. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

lenf12 

OMG!!! That was fabulous! Thanks for posting this onassis.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I have said it before but that A model Gilchrist that Joe Walsh is playing is as good as it gets, I would kill for one like it...Not really but I sure would love to have one that sounded like that...

Willie

7. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

addamr 

That looks like Joe's Nugget mandolin.....

https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...dard-mandolin/

The fact that there's a question on which mandolin he's playing misses the point of the music. Yeah, I know it's a mandolin site, and everyone loves the instruments that everyone plays, but Joe's playing is far better than any mandolin he's going to play.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    .. Joe's playing is far better than any mandolin he's going to play.

"It's the Indian, not the arrow", to use a possibly un-PC adage. Yeah, the ensemble playing is top-notch. What really knocks me out every time I watch Joe play is the connection between his "inner ear" and his hands. You'll note that he doesn't look at the fretboard and like other wonderful improvising musicians I've know, his hands move to create the melody he is singing in his head, in real-time while he is singing it. Joe is also a remarkable listener. In this video, as in others, you can hear that he picks up on what the previous soloist just played, either rhythmically or melodically.

Thanks for posting!

That name on the headstock sure looks like it begins with a "G", can`t enlarge it so I could be wrong, which I usually am...

It's good stuff! Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

That’s his Nugget and he makes it sound amazing!

Thanks much for posting that, loved it, I've always enjoyed Molly's great playing but don't remember hearing much of this trio and great mandolin player before, although I'm a bit new to mandolin, as a guitar player I was more focused on that. She does keep a good strong rhythm going, makes it look easier than it is, especially at that tempo.

Interesting comments from Frosty, "Joe is also a remarkable listener. In this video, as in others, you can hear that he picks up on what the previous soloist just played, either rhythmically or melodically." I noticed that and enjoyed it, such a great quality and asset to a group.

I found this other song, "Never More Will Roam" from that concert that I enjoyed a lot, maybe others will too.

2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim1954 For This Useful Post:

Just watching Joe play,i see that he's got one of those 'floppy' right hands like Tim O'Brien's when he comes to playing rhythm. That would be a terrific line up for a permanent band - amazing stuff !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I heard his mando at the Warren County fair a few years ago when he was with the Gibson Bros! and it sounded great! But is it me or is Molly extremely HOT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Just watching Joe play,i see that he's got one of those 'floppy' right hands like Tim O'Brien's when he comes to playing rhythm. That would be a terrific line up for a permanent band - amazing stuff !!,
    Ivan
    True! Too bad Joe is at Berklee for most of the time, that limits his ability to go on long tours, where Molly is certainly headed. Hr current band is really quite amazing, so no shortage of talent there, either. The good news for those of us in New England is that Joe plays around the area quite a bit, so it's easy to catch him here or there. He's at a friend's house concert this week. As for John, he'll be a fiddling force to be reckoned with soon enough. It's a tougher crowd to break through, that fiddling world, there are so many spectacular ones right now.

One of my favorite aspects of this video ( and all of the others from this show) is seeing how much fun they have playing off of each other. Joe is always laughing or exclaiming when someone does something that catches his fancy, and that seems contagious. I guess it helps that they're all super nice folks, but Joe seems to bring that out in every group he plays with. I'm excited to be seeing him next weekend with Grant Gordy and Danny Barnes!
    Mitch Russell

That Nugget is a real sweet mandolin. Joe let me play it last year at a workshop in Charlottesville, Va fairly soon after he had gotten it. That inspired me to find my own Nugget. I too look forward to seeing him with Grant and Danny this weekend. Joe is a musician's musician.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I heard his mando at the Warren County fair a few years ago when he was with the Gibson Bros! and it sounded great! But is it me or is Molly extremely HOT!!!!!
    It would be great if we could discuss female musicians without these inevitable statements.

That video is awesome. Great playing on all parts, and they look like they're having a blast. I got to play the twin to Joe's Nugget while it was at Telluride Music Company a few years back, it was a beautiful instrument. Not the loudest mandolin in there, but lots of depth and complexity to its sound.

I've seen Joe at Targhee Music Camp several times and he's a great teacher as well, I love that he's so enthusiastic when performing. Some players just stand as if they are in a trance...not that there's anything wrong with that...but Joe is having so much fun one can't help but be drawn in as well and enjoy the show. Thanks for posting and I have a cool new fiddle tune in Grey Owl to play for a friend of mine who is an owl researcher.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7