Thread: New to me 2002 Bob Hamlin F Style

Default New to me 2002 Bob Hamlin F Style

Hamlin Stringed Instruments
    Bloomfield, IN

Just bought this mandolin today. It has been owned by one gentleman who purchased it directly from the builder I am guessing soon after it was built in 2002. At 90 years, He doesn't play this one much anymore and was wanting to find someone who would. The build quality seem great and the finish is OK. I can tell that there was likely air or water in the lines when the lacquer was sprayed because there are some bubble looking areas. I know everyone likes to comment on the scroll so it isn't bad but is a little funky. Feels good and plays good. I took the truss rod cover off to check it out because it needs a slight truss rod adjustment. That is why the cover is not on in the picture. Good looking mandolin overall and I think I will enjoy it. Not decided for sure if it is one I will keep long term or not but I have only had it for a few hours. Time will tell and I usually like them even more when I get one set up right and play a bit. I feel like I was given an excellent price for a mandolin made in the USA and of good quality.
    Enjoy the pictures!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamlin1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	162728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamlin3.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	162729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamlin2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	162730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamlin 4.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	162731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamlin5.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	162732

Here is a link to a previous short Café discussion (not necessarily about this exact mandolin):
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-on-Craigslist

Here is a link to an article about Bob Hamlin from the time that this mandolin was built:
    http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/1267975.html

Those are really about the only history I can find on his mandolin and instruments. If anyone know anything else about him and his instruments I would appreciate the info.
    Last edited by jhammond; Dec-01-2017 at 6:20pm.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhammond For This Useful Post: