Thread: My poor old mandocello

Default My poor old mandocello

beyond bummed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brokenbridge.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	162710

Well maybe I can convince my wife a new Weber F Mandocello would ease my sorrows

2. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

fox 

Blog Entries

Default Re: My poor old mandocello

Ouch!
    I don’t suppose that’ll buff out.

Bad luck. But an arch top would definitely be a more sensible investment.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

4. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

You could consider a tailpiece and a new bridge... nah.

Beyond that I'd love to know the brand and the circumstances behind that. That would be an educational experience for all of us.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That looks Ovation-ish.

There are cheap Ovation copies you can get for $150 on eBay, though ... it might be one of those.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    That looks Ovation-ish.
    Yes it does, and even if it not an Ovation the problem is the same. A pin-less bridge epoxied to the top over the finish. That works pretty well with guitars, and perhaps it usually works with mandocellos, but the pull of 8 big steel strings directly on a pin-less bridge can obviously overcome the strength of the top wood. (A more "standard" guitar bridge with holes through to a bridge patch inside, and string balls bulling up under the top beneath the bridge has much more mechanical strength than a pin-less bridge.)

8. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

No longer a mandocello.... Can you play TOAST?

Well I wish we could all commiserate at bar near a mandolin shop, but I do believe it is a genuine Ovation. I've had it for 6 or 7 years.
    I recently put on John Pearse baritone guitar stings , which have somewhat lighter gauges than regular mandocello strings ( which i have had on before), or it could also be due to temperature, but it hasn't been that cold here ( or extra hot because of heat), damp, but not that cold.
    I was out of the house most of the week and just found it today, I suppose someone could have knocked it over or something, and hasn't confessed yet.... I have been playing it a lot - I think this Sunday was the last time.
    I thought the Ovation factory in CT was back open? I hope so maybe can contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Well I wish we could all commiserate at bar near a mandolin shop, but I do believe it is a genuine Ovation. I've had it for 6 or 7 years.
    I recently put on John Pearse baritone guitar stings , which have somewhat lighter gauges than regular mandocello strings ( which i have had on before), or it could also be due to temperature, but it hasn't been that cold here ( or extra hot because of heat), damp, but not that cold.
    I was out of the house most of the week and just found it today, I suppose someone could have knocked it over or something, and hasn't confessed yet.... I have been playing it a lot - I think this Sunday was the last time.
    I thought the Ovation factory in CT was back open? I hope so maybe can contact them.
    Serious bummer.
    Original owner would have lifetime warranty, but it sounds like you bought it second hand.
    You could have it repaired and replace the bridge with a through the top pin bridge. The top would have to come off and a backing plate would need to be added. Not sure if it is worth the trouble.

Edit- From looking around, it appears that used these go for about $1500, so maybe could be worth it

There was an article a few years ago in a magazine I think about a guy that was replacing Ovation tops. I'm not totally sure where I read it, I just remember reading it.

Here's one luthier that admits to having retopped a few.

Frank Ford's fretsnet has this message thread. Look at the last message on this page. Those are 7 year old phone numbers and names but they might help you out.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Serious bummer.
    Original owner would have lifetime warranty, but it sounds like you bought it second hand.
    You could have it repaired and replace the bridge with a through the top pin bridge. The top would have to come off and a backing plate would need to be added. Not sure if it is worth the trouble.
    IIRC, Ovation tops are epoxied (heavily) to a ledge around the bowl. I've heard of Ovations being re-topped, but not with the original top because it couldn't be removed without being destroyed. Looks like this is one of those Adama-style small soundhole types, so you can't go in and add a reinforcing plate and cleats for the break through the soundhole.

If the intent is just to make it playable again and not worry about the cosmetics, you could try doing a surface cleat and glue of the cracks. Then add a trapeze tailpiece to carry the string load... and hope the down-pressure didn't cause further cracks or top sinkage. Ovations are somewhat famous for sinking tops.

Maybe you can make an offer on this Eastman Mandocello
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastman-MDC...2/332465127048

I emailed Ovation and they did give me ball park quotes for replacing the top - or just repairing that and not worrying to much about aesthetics.
    They were reasonable but, I will probably just bring it to someone local to repair for a few hundred or so.

Colorado Al, thanks but I've played those Eastman cello's and wasn't sold on them.

What the heck I can skip a few mortgage payments and order a Weber.

Oh that's a bummer! I have an Ovation 12 string and an old Applause 6 string. I always loved not messing with bridge pins, but always worried about this in the back of my mind. One crazy idea is to fix it from the back - cut a hole opposite the bridge to allow for a conventional pin bridge with plate? I don't know if the existing bracing would even allow it.

Now that I look at those online they likely have Adamas Bracing. Not really suitable for a pin through bridge

Name:	Adamas Bracing.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	162750

I guess I'm calling it toast, but I do have parts if anyone is looking, neck and back are good as are the electronics and the decorative sound holes.

thanks for all the input

Might be a good candidate to list AS IS on Squeebay or Treeverb.... Someone might want it, and that would fund your next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    beyond bummed

Name:	brokenbridge.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	162710

Well maybe I can convince my wife a new Weber F Mandocello would ease my sorrows
    That sucks but yes. Get the Weber F! I have a Gallatin and love it to death.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin