Thread: Re-lectrified!

Cambridge Mandolinist Daniel Nestlerode's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re-lectrified!

Well after 5 and a half years of residence in the UK, I have finally resurrected my little Marshall GR-15CD amp and plugged in my JBovier EMC-5 for a bit of fun.

I had to buy a 45amp step-down transformer so I can plug into the wall without blowing fuses, and I bought a rather large pile of 500 milliamp fuses just in case.

Just ran straight from the mando to the amp or a short cable. I spent about an hour playing through tunes and riffs, tweaking the 2 preamp channels, treble, and contour settings to try different tones.

I had a lot of fun playing Ashokan Farewell in the style of Joe Satriani!

After a while I started playing the Star Spangled Banner and then followed with God Save the Queen/America the Beautiful (same tune different words). At that point I realised it was time to call it a night.

Next step is to dust off the Boss pedal board.

I might have to work some emando into the set list now, though I doubt that will go down well at an English folk club!

Default Re: Re-lectrified!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I might have to work some emando into the set list now, though I doubt that will go down well at an English folk club!
    A guy named Robert Zimmerman had that same problem in Newport, RI way back in the 60's. Some things never change.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I am honoured and utterly unworthy of that comparison.

Daniel

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Just give 'em a rollicking Matty Groves in your best Fairport Convention style. Hearts and minds, laddie. Hearts and minds. (Or was that Leige and Lief?) ;-)

Axes: Rigel A Natural #1774 w/mods, Andrew Jerman Irwin-style 5 string electric "Stealie", Paul Newson custom blonde "Feivel", Epi Mandobird IV, The Loar LM 370, Grandmom's solid mahogany teens bent-top, Baglamas 002
    Amps: Peavey Classic 30, Laney Cub 10, Fishman Loudbox 100
    Rigs: Main rig Grab&Go Acoustic

I am honoured and utterly unworthy of that comparison. Daniel
    So you don't have a Nobel Prize in literature. I'll bet you play mandolin better
    than he does

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Thanks gents!

Was up til midnight last night (this morning). Busted out the pedal board and spent a couple of hours working through tunes, taking 'lead' breaks, and chording. Finally found a very good clean sound with a touch of chorus. The JBovier EMC-5 doesn't really sound like a mandolin, even with the chorus. But it's sweet and brings those chord inversions we all know and love.

I'll be using it on the next CD to add a bit of molasses: dark and sweet.

I've got an 8 string Fender made in 2002 that needs some work. I'll be spanking that one next. Single coil versus the JBovier's humbucker. Maybe not tonight. I need the rest.

Best,
    Daniel

I had to buy a 45amp step-down transformer so I can plug into the wall without blowing fuses, and I bought a rather large pile of 500 milliamp fuses just in case.
    You got US/CDN 117v 60 htz gear running on 120v 50 htz UK power?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    You got US/CDN 117v 60 htz gear running on 120v 50 htz UK power?
    I did wonder about that myself. After a recent experience of compatibility of UK spec vs US spec power supplies.

Blog Entries

After getting the voltage right, the frequency is not an issue. It's easier to filter 50 Hz than 60 Hz. The amp wants DC internally, so once the AC is filtered it doesn't matter. I have an NAD hi-fi amp that is UK power (Ebay oops), and use a step-up transformer. The only noticeable effect is that when the amp is turned on there is a transient note of 60 Hz hum, like 1/4 sec or less.

I used a US amplifier on Japanese 120V 50 Hz power with no problem.
    Blog--Miniature Orchestra
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    Videos--YouTube
    The viola is proof that man is not rational