Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-lectrified!

Blog Entries

Default Re-lectrified!

Well after 5 and a half years of residence in the UK, I have finally resurrected my little Marshall GR-15CD amp and plugged in my JBovier EMC-5 for a bit of fun.

I had to buy a 45amp step-down transformer so I can plug into the wall without blowing fuses, and I bought a rather large pile of 500 milliamp fuses just in case.

Just ran straight from the mando to the amp or a short cable. I spent about an hour playing through tunes and riffs, tweaking the 2 preamp channels, treble, and contour settings to try different tones.

I had a lot of fun playing Ashokan Farewell in the style of Joe Satriani!

After a while I started playing the Star Spangled Banner and then followed with God Save the Queen/America the Beautiful (same tune different words). At that point I realised it was time to call it a night.

Next step is to dust off the Boss pedal board.

I might have to work some emando into the set list now, though I doubt that will go down well at an English folk club!

2. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Default Re: Re-lectrified!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I might have to work some emando into the set list now, though I doubt that will go down well at an English folk club!
    A guy named Robert Zimmerman had that same problem in Newport, RI way back in the 60's. Some things never change.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I am honoured and utterly unworthy of that comparison.

Daniel

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Just give 'em a rollicking Matty Groves in your best Fairport Convention style. Hearts and minds, laddie. Hearts and minds. (Or was that Leige and Lief?) ;-)
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I am honoured and utterly unworthy of that comparison. Daniel
    So you don't have a Nobel Prize in literature. I'll bet you play mandolin better
    than he does

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Thanks gents!

Was up til midnight last night (this morning). Busted out the pedal board and spent a couple of hours working through tunes, taking 'lead' breaks, and chording. Finally found a very good clean sound with a touch of chorus. The JBovier EMC-5 doesn't really sound like a mandolin, even with the chorus. But it's sweet and brings those chord inversions we all know and love.

I'll be using it on the next CD to add a bit of molasses: dark and sweet.

I've got an 8 string Fender made in 2002 that needs some work. I'll be spanking that one next. Single coil versus the JBovier's humbucker. Maybe not tonight. I need the rest.

Best,
    Daniel

I had to buy a 45amp step-down transformer so I can plug into the wall without blowing fuses, and I bought a rather large pile of 500 milliamp fuses just in case.
    You got US/CDN 117v 60 htz gear running on 120v 50 htz UK power?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    You got US/CDN 117v 60 htz gear running on 120v 50 htz UK power?
    I did wonder about that myself. After a recent experience of compatibility of UK spec vs US spec power supplies.

Blog Entries

After getting the voltage right, the frequency is not an issue. It's easier to filter 50 Hz than 60 Hz. The amp wants DC internally, so once the AC is filtered it doesn't matter. I have an NAD hi-fi amp that is UK power (Ebay oops), and use a step-up transformer. The only noticeable effect is that when the amp is turned on there is a transient note of 60 Hz hum, like 1/4 sec or less.

I used a US amplifier on Japanese 120V 50 Hz power with no problem.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

To answer Mandroid, Yep. It just needs a step down transformer from 240v UK to 120v US. The transformer matches the amplifier at 45amps, so I can't really plug anything else in to it at the same time. Luckily, the pedals all seem to be OK with 240v.

The step down transformer gives off a little hum, so I keep it about 5 feet from the amp.

I was just working out how I'm going to arrange and play a minor key study of Whiskey Before Breakfast. I was thinking of using the JBovier to beef it up a bit.

Odd thing is, I am in love with the acoustic sound of this JBovier and my Fender FM-988. I just wish I could get something approximating that tone through the amp! I may be getting in touch with Pete Mallinson at Almuse in the new year.

Daniel

I used a US amplifier on Japanese 120V 50 Hz power with no problem.
    Given the power supply has a rectifier in it, to supply DC to the actual amplifier circuitry, that makes sense ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	441.9 KB 
ID:	163173

The JBovier keeping me up at nights.

D

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

The JBovier keeping me up at nights.
    Yes, but does it keep the neighbors up as well?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

Nope.
    We live in what in England is called a bungalow, a detached (not duplex or more) single story house.
    It doesn't even wake the kids. I wear headphones.

Interestingly I have noticed that the speaker in the amp, despite its mere 10" diameter is not as good as the headphones for reproducing the e string. Though the trade-off is that you really can hear the solidstate harshness a bit more clearly in the headphones.

D

Love all this Emando talk!
    This is my five string mandolin with a DeArmond Rhythm Chief mounted to the top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F77478D-98D7-4F8D-A98B-ECCAA43B63DC.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	795.0 KB 
ID:	163402
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joey Anchors For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

In my adventure into the electric side I have had great difficulty with this very thing - where oh where is the electric mandolin at home? Or, more accurately, where can i feel at home with the electric?

Despite the best efforts of my brother the electric guitar guy, and my friend the awesome drummer, I am an awkward in the rock world, either emulating a guitar or improvising. I have and will continue to try.

My specialty is loud angry fiddle tunes. I have not met anyone who wants to hear loud angry fiddle tunes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

After a while I started playing the Star Spangled Banner and then followed with God Save the Queen/America the Beautiful.... At that point I realized it was time to call it a night!
    I find myself gravitating to these kinds of tunes on my electric. Never on my acoustic. I think the reason is that the electric sound makes everything into a grand anthem, so these tunes just fit, even when fully fuzzed.

Whisky Before Breakfast or Munster Buttermilk, not so much.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Try transposing Whiskey Before Breakfast into D minor and playing it really slow.

I have an 'Americana' gig coming up. So I have been practicing with it a bit more. I plan to do a few songs with it. The sustain on slow fiddle tunes, like waltzes is so nice that it's hard to go back to the F5.

Daniel

22. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

What I like to do with folk, traditional tunes is use a combination of subtle reverb and tremolo. For instance, take a slower tempo song like Wayfaring Stranger. Set the reverb to taste, and then try a trem pedal with the depth set low. You want a setting that results in minimal amplitude change in volume. While playing, vary your picking intensity or ride your volume knob to create dynamic variation and tension. The trem provides additional movement and the reverb creates some space. It’s a very nice combination when playing more expressively on a slower moving, simple song. I have also found that when playing in this way, I must focus so much more on my R and L hand technique. Errors are exposed! Playing faster tunes with fuzz or overdrive (think “Shipping up to Boston”) covers a lot of errors.
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

[QUOTE=JeffD;1625538]In my adventure into the electric side I have had great difficulty with this very thing - where oh where is the electric mandolin at home? Or, more accurately, where can i feel at home with the electric?

Despite the best efforts of my brother the electric guitar guy, and my friend the awesome drummer, I am an awkward in the rock world, either emulating a guitar or improvising. I have and will continue to try.

I feel you there, that's why I dusted off my 30 year old harp mic and started getting my harmonica chops going again the guys I play with like to rock (so do I) I haven't tried the slide thing yet but been thinking about it. It takes some time at least for me to try and find the right voice for the mando in that setting most of time it seems less is more.
    Lou

Blog Entries

I worked on and played emando at an open mic.

OK for you gear aficionados:

I played my Fender FM 60 E 5, through my Fender Mustang I modeling amp dialed into a British 80s Marshall amp sound with some extra tube screamer type distortion.

I played Elvis's "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" slowish and expressively, about the same speed Elvis sang it. And I used a VOX wah for added expression.

And I had an acoustic guitar, amplified, backing me up.

I had just enough time on stage to play through the tune a few times. Lots of fun. The meager audience seemed to enjoy it, but not as much as I enjoyed playing it.

I think these slow country and rock ballads might be something to pursue with the emando. Especially with that wah. That thing makes me cry.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I used to pick up my Godin electric specifically to play the subset of old time tunes that have tons of drive but little melody, things mostly in the Key of A: Kitchen Girl, Grub Springs, Ducks on a Millpond, Sandy Boys. These tunes have always reminded me of Howling Wolf's brand of loud raucous blues, the old time tunes he might have added to his repertoire if only he knew about them. It seems easy to imagine Hubert Sumlin playing the melody of Abe's Retreat over and over again while Howling Wolf wails over the top of it.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

My specialty is loud angry fiddle tunes. I have not met anyone who wants to hear loud angry fiddle tunes.
    Well, you could try forming a Fairport Convention tribute band.

Start with Matty Groves from Liege and Lief, including the wild last bit with improv. Then move on to the Rocked-up versions of Lark In The Morning, Rakish Paddy, Fox Hunter's Jig and Toss the Feathers. You'll need a drummer.

Blog Entries

I have looked into that. Bands like Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span have inspired me. If I could make something like that coalesce around me, I would be all in.

The entire staff
    funny....

In my adventure into the electric side I have had great difficulty with this very thing - where oh where is the electric mandolin at home? Or, more accurately, where can i feel at home with the electric?

I take it you don’t know any Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly fans. Definitely angry would suit electric Mandolin no problem